Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 13,820 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are a young couple who found a lovely home in the area. Any helpful input? Pros and Cons to living in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM

280 posts, read 383,560 times
good fishing, good sailing, close to beach. Poor schools

Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,771,273 times
What maroon said and add in that it floods in that area.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:56 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,980 times
Why would you want to live in texas city? that place is a dump. And with all of its chemical plants hardly a place to raise a family. You know one of the worst explosions in history happened there and another a few years ago was pretty big.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM

there is a really nice development on Moses Lake - great place to live if you love to fish/boat.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM

We found a GREAT house close to the water. The school district is a con but private schools may be an option.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM

Maroon79 and DSL_PWR,
What are the closes good schools? Closest good private schools?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 AM

158 posts, read 181,549 times
Schools are OK if you're involved. I was raised in Texas City. It's not THAT bad. I do, however, choose not to live there since I work in Houston.

Are you going to be working in Houston or anywhere up I-45? It is a pretty terrible commute. I lived at home for a couple of months when I first graduated college and commuted downtown everyday. Had to wake up super early, did the drive and was mad by the time I got to work. Got off normal time, but got home pretty late due to traffic and was mad by the time I got home. Did that for about 2 weeks and decided I needed to move closer to my job.

Those homes are pretty nice, and if you do like to boat/fish, that's a big advantage.

I wouldn't say that it floods over there. During Hurricane Ike, there was very little flooding. Our seawall/levee is called Skyline drive, and it saved the city. I think there was one place where water went over, but it was just BARELY over. None of the houses around moses lake were flooded. This is a new subdivision out there, but I imagine it would be the same.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 AM

SORRY - not sure about private schools in Galveston County. I know Lutheren South high school is pretty good.

Private Schools in Galveston County

Galveston County, TX Private Schools | PrivateSchoolReview.com

Texas City High School is probably what is zoned for that area. Its not the worst school in the country, but it might soon be taking over all the kids from LaMarque which is possibly losing its accreditation. If that happens it could suffer.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Thank you guys for the info. My fiancée works in Dickinson so commute is minimal. I will be working around Dickinson, Webster or League City. Reports from area residents in Pilgrim Subdivision say, no flooding. Lifelong resident/ former cop and neighbor said schools are OK. My real estate agent said Lamarque has horrible school, so its disappointing to hear about texas city school being affected by any problematic lamarque population.

I drove through Texas city around town and the **** and actually loved it. Its a smaller town, lower traffic, clean, pretty trees and cute older homes, maintained nicely. I was pretty impressed. LOTS to do if you like the outdoors. AND bigger lots for less money. I am having a reeeally hard time swallowing the "master planned neighborhoods". Feels clausterphobic. No trees in a lot of them. Even Victory Lakes, although beautiful, feels crowded.

South Shore Harbor is nice, but feels a little crowded too. Clear Lake Forest is really nice (big trees, bigger lots), but the older homes need a little work (which isn't a big deal to me).

Doing ALOT of research over here. Weighing the pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston