U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

We currently live in an apartment and our lease expires at the end of the month. We gave them a 60 day notice that we were going to resign our lease for another year. But, this past weekend, a resident jumped from his 8th story penthouse across from us (a pool/courtyard seperates our side from their side). Well I was one of the first people to witness what was going on by waking up hearing his gf cry for help, and I looked out our window and saw his body(not pleasant what so ever), possibly minutes after he jumped. It was a very horrific scene and has been haunting/disturbing me since(its been about 5 days). I no longer feel comfortable going home now, and im always reminded of the incident if i open my blinds/windows/ect. and when i step out to my balcony bc i can see their place and where he landed (the concrete is now discolored due to the chemicals they used to clean up the mess).
I emailed the manager that morning and told her what i saw but that i loved lving there(which i did) but everything has now changed, and we want to move out. Since we havent resigned our lease yet, does anyone know if we can still be hit with penalties because we said we were going to resign it up until the incident? we're trying to move out asap, hopefully before the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:26 AM

2,582 posts, read 7,676,785 times
It's not what you say that counts, it is what you put in writing. If you put in a written notice, and never put anything in writing to contradict it, then you should be fine, but I would still make sure you are on the same page with that with the manager. If she gives you trouble, ask if she has a copy of the 60 day notice, then ask her if she has a written notice cancelling that, when she doesn't, then game over, you win.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM

681 posts, read 1,536,593 times
Usually with most leases you have to give a notice of move out. Every apartment I've been in has required at least a 30 day notice of move out or they would bill me an extra month or have some sort of penalty.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM

413 posts, read 979,959 times
OP - you're good with your notice. Unless you sign something, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM

173 posts, read 350,858 times
Yeah with my experience no leased signed your good to GO. Literally.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
cla

898 posts, read 2,887,376 times
The OP didn't give a 60 day notice to vacate, but rather a 60 day notice to stay, but has now had a change of heart.

What does your lease say? If it says you have to give 30 (or 60) days, then you probably won't be able to move out free and clear at the end of the month. Does the lease convert to month-to-month after the year is up? If so, then give a written 30-day notice now and move out next month. Call your leasing office to find out what your options are.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,547,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfused2012 View Post
We currently live in an apartment and our lease expires at the end of the month. We gave them a 60 day notice that we were going to resign our lease for another year. But, this past weekend, a resident jumped from his 8th story penthouse across from us (a pool/courtyard seperates our side from their side). Well I was one of the first people to witness what was going on by waking up hearing his gf cry for help, and I looked out our window and saw his body(not pleasant what so ever), possibly minutes after he jumped. It was a very horrific scene and has been haunting/disturbing me since(its been about 5 days). I no longer feel comfortable going home now, and im always reminded of the incident if i open my blinds/windows/ect. and when i step out to my balcony bc i can see their place and where he landed (the concrete is now discolored due to the chemicals they used to clean up the mess).
I emailed the manager that morning and told her what i saw but that i loved lving there(which i did) but everything has now changed, and we want to move out. Since we havent resigned our lease yet, does anyone know if we can still be hit with penalties because we said we were going to resign it up until the incident? we're trying to move out asap, hopefully before the end of the month.
Give the 60-day notice now. What will happen is that you will pay regular rent until your lease expires, but then you pay the higher amount. In my case, this was usually 200-300 Dollars more per month. I don't know when your notice was due, but if you should have done it 2 weeks ago, then you will pay the higher amount for 2 weeks etc. A "60 day notice that we were going to resign our lease for another year" means nothing. Sounds like you live in an apartment complex. Then you probably have a TAA lease. So you will go on a month-to-month. Therefore, you can turn in the 60 day notice at any time now. Of course, the manager can do anything. She can let you out of the lease immediately if she wanted to. Go talk to her in person, don't email. It's more personal and you are more likely to get a response in your favor.
Good luck.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,676,785 times
Okay, I misread it. A 60 day notice to stay, oops, different game. If it is the standard TAA lease, then your lease never truly expires until you give the required notice. It is a common misperception that you can just up and leave at the end of the lease. If you don't give the notice, the lease automatically renews itself. You would need to give the required notice to move out, even if the initial lease term is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or