U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,665,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I can't believe that there are people in other parts of the country who don't know what kolaches are! I remember when Sabila Vargas first came to Houston from L.A. to work for Fox 26, one of the other anchors mention something about going to get kolaches for breakfeast and she had a dumbfounded look on her face and she asked "what is a kolache". I though she was joking, she was dead serious. She really never herd of a Kolache.
I have lived In Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami and was born and raised in New York, and never heard of Kolaches until I landed in Houston. LOL. I was like, "WTF is a Kolache?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Back to the subject...

You know you're a real Houstonian when you argue on how to pronounce the street "San Felipe".

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM

563 posts, read 751,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
A real kolache is a fruit filled dessert.

Kolache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Houston style Kolache is a variation of Czech kolache that uses the same breading and is filled with a sausage. In reality they would be considered a sausage roll from the UK, but since in Houston Kolache pastries are so prevalent a variation has become popular using the same kolache pastry dough to wrap around a sausage. Now I don't mean to credit the idea to the Houston area because the first time I ever had this type of kolache was at a Czech bakery just south of Austin. There is a heavy concentration of Czechs in that area.

Klobasnek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I were from the UK, where pigs-in-a-blanket began, I would refer to the US version as hot dogs since that is the meat that is used. "In the United Kingdom, "pigs in blankets" refers to small sausages (usually cocktail sausages) wrapped in bacon, and are a traditional accompaniment to roast turkey for Christmas lunch. (The Cocktail Sausages referred to are not like the ones you get in the United States which are like miniature hotdogs, but more like miniature sausages with the sausage meat much more finely ground than you would typically find in the US)"

Pigs in a blanket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, why don't you call pigs-in-a-blanket a hot dog or corn dog?

A real kolache is anything breaded as a kolache and named as it is filled - hence, "sausage and cheese kolache."

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...x=wrt&y=Search

Last edited by MobileDave; 02-24-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,416,529 times
If I saw the semi-flat bread with a jelly circle on top in the middle, I'd call it a Danish. Just about all the "kolaches" I've had in Houston, Dallas, SA, Beaumont was *usually* some kind of meat, cheese, eggs, etc wrapped with the bread. So I wouldn't necessarily call it a Houston thing. One variation that was commonplace in the Beaumont area was a boudain kolache... talk about hybrid-fusion. Great stuff BTW.

IMO the bread makes the kolache. It has to have that combination of softness and yeasty goodness.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Quote:

looks like a tart

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If I saw the semi-flat bread with a jelly circle on top in the middle, I'd call it a Danish. Just about all the "kolaches" I've had in Houston, Dallas, SA, Beaumont was *usually* some kind of meat, cheese, eggs, etc wrapped with the bread. So I wouldn't necessarily call it a Houston thing. One variation that was commonplace in the Beaumont area was a boudain kolache... talk about hybrid-fusion. Great stuff BTW.

IMO the bread makes the kolache. It has to have that combination of softness and yeasty goodness.

Those boudain kolaches are pretty tasty. I tried some at the Donald's Doughnuts in Dickinson on 517. I haven't been to the Donald's on El Dorado between 45 and hwy 3 in a while but I'm sure you could find some there too if you get a craving.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM

392 posts, read 811,963 times
Quote:

You just take your blasphemy elsewhere ya here!

lol

Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,209,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

I've had boudain balls, but never boudain kolache. It sounds good though. BTW, I never ment for this thread to turn into a debate about kolaches. LOL.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I've had boudain balls, but never boudain kolache. It sounds good though. BTW, I never ment for this thread to turn into a debate about kolaches. LOL.
My fault.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM

OMG..this is a KOLACHE thread! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston