U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 PM

20 posts, read 34,785 times

Advertisements

My husband has an offer to transfer to his company's Channelview location.

I'm all for it. We live in Ohio which is expensive, cold, and boring.

We are planning a visit, his boss has offered to let him test out the new job for a week. The kids and I will join him for a few days to Check the area out.

I'm looking at places to live. We are looking for a family friendly Middle class City. Kingwood looks like what I am looking for. I have done my homework and know that we need to live on the East side since his job would be on that side. I know there are neighborhoods closer to the city, and arent some in the city?

I am a registered nurse at a children's hospital and would love to work at the children's hospital in Houston, but I'm not sure that is geographically possible.

Where would you live if you were me and had 300-400k to spend on a house with high school aged children? I would rent if I needed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,076,726 times
Look here www.har.com

Maybe Clear Lake, Pearland, or Kingwood

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Look here www.har.com

Maybe Clear Lake, Pearland, or Kingwood
I'm familiar with HAR, but I want to hear from people living there. HAR makes everything look pretty, I want reality. I want pretty reality but I need to focus on what's best. I have an idea of the size of Houston and the traffic, but I have a feeling the reality is so much more than I'm expecting.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,076,726 times
Maybe you should use the search function to look up threads talking about those suburbs/neighborhoods.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,484,130 times
There's a high possibility that you would end up working in the medical center. You could try Humble in Summerwood or Fall Creek. Kingwood is nice, but that adds another 15 minutes to your husbands commute and probably 10-15 minutes to your possible commute into the city. Either place, you would likely be looking at a 4k sq ft home with nice surroundings.

Or you could try to purchase something closer to downtown, zoned to Lamar High School. The home would be much smaller, probably 2k sq ft. The area is more affluent and you would be closer to the medical center in Houston.

Do you want a large newer home?

Yes, it's geographically possible to work at a children's hospital and your husband in Channelview. You'll likely have longer hours coming in early or at off hours. That would help tremendously with traffic. If you are close to freeways, Houston is a relatively quick city to get around in at off-peak hours. But anything between 6-9am and 3-7pm will seriously slow you down.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 AM

3,702 posts, read 15,954,874 times
I would also recommed Fall Creek. Husband would take Beltway 8 to Channelview, and you could go straight doen 59 to the med center. Kingwood would be doable, but a bit longer commute for both.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Maybe you should use the search function to look up threads talking about those suburbs/neighborhoods.
I have and every situation is different. This is a message board for people researching different areas. I don't know why you don't want me asking questions, you are making me and my questions feel unwelcome here. I have heard that the people of Houston are friendly. I've been researching and reading here for 3 months, thanks for the welcome when I come out of lurking.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 AM

Thank you for your help. I'm not intent on having a newer home, I am realistic and want what will work best for everyone. I have a map of Houston in my office and I'm putting pins in all of the places you all recommend. Houston is just too big to go in blind. Thank you again for taking the time to help.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM

105 posts, read 139,053 times
Default Exxon

You will see more growth of subdivisions due to the move of the Exxon Mobil on the northeast side.....Living in that area would make the driving to the medical center a little more diffucult....

Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Oildog helped me, I never thought about Pearland before. I'm looking into that and Friendswood, they seem like good locations for both of our jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston