U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM

806 posts, read 1,432,505 times

Advertisements

If you are truly going to change to hardwood after then get carpet, it is much easier to pull up to put down hardwoods especially if you make it a DIY project. So other people can learn it is best to make the decision before you sign on your contract. You have much more negotiation power and picking upgrades.

Now the builder has the OP to pay their over inflated price for the upgrade. If done ahead of time the price can be reduced or even thrown in to sell a home. Keep in mind also any upgrades you actually pay for unless you are paying cash will rolled in your mortgage and will pay for it several time over again with the interest on a 15 or 30 year loan.

Wide planked rich colored rustic engineered hardwood is the way to go. Plan to do this in my home once the carpet wears out.

Also if you do large tiles in a home make sure they are diagonal, looks so much better and worth the extra cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,228,903 times
How about porcelain tile that looks like wood? I'm installing it now in my living room and dining room and will be doing a brick pattern with smaller grout lines. All the pluses of wood but none of the negatives.

Here's pics of my master bedroom. This was taken right after install and still has some glaze to it. And I installed it myself so it's not perfect. Tile cost me less than $2/sqft and is 6x24 (closeout sale).

Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM

42 posts, read 133,058 times
Who is the builder and what type of wood?

The tiles that look like wood, are really cool, but CRAZY expensive.

The biggest concern I have about wood is where is it going to be used in relation to where you walk and who is walking there.

Sounds stupid, right?

In todays world, Stilletto's are VERY popular and will destroy wood floors faster than you can imagine. If you wear them and plan on walking on this area often, I would keep this in mind.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyahomenowkleintx View Post
Who is the builder and what type of wood?

The tiles that look like wood, are really cool, but CRAZY expensive.

They are cheaper than real wood and even most ceramic tiles. You can get them for under $3/sqft in many colors and sizes.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM

42 posts, read 133,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
They are cheaper than real wood and even most ceramic tiles. You can get them for under $3/sqft in many colors and sizes.

Ok. Where?

I have seen plenty of stuff at the liquidator places. Yes, They are cheap.

I brought a piece into a Design Center, and it is ALMOST identical.

SAME manufacturing stamp. Why is it SO much Cheaper? I can't say. I know "Retail" Pricing isn't cheap, but to fins seconds for SO cheap concerns me.

Maybe someone in the Tile Business can chime in. My guys haven't been able to explain, and they ARE very complexed.

And does $3/ft include prep/float/install/grout/etc??

Just dealt with a "Frien of a Friend" deal, with SPECIAL pricing and there is no doubt in my mind the buyer got screwed. It is easy to come in with a low ball bid, but "Adjust" it for whatever reason once you can't change. I am not saying it is the case her, but I have seen this stuff and like it, but haven't found a place where pricing can compete with what we are used to seeing - ALL IN!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyahomenowkleintx View Post
Ok. Where?

I have seen plenty of stuff at the liquidator places. Yes, They are cheap.

I brought a piece into a Design Center, and it is ALMOST identical.

SAME manufacturing stamp. Why is it SO much Cheaper? I can't say. I know "Retail" Pricing isn't cheap, but to fins seconds for SO cheap concerns me.

Maybe someone in the Tile Business can chime in. My guys haven't been able to explain, and they ARE very complexed.

And does $3/ft include prep/float/install/grout/etc??

Just dealt with a "Frien of a Friend" deal, with SPECIAL pricing and there is no doubt in my mind the buyer got screwed. It is easy to come in with a low ball bid, but "Adjust" it for whatever reason once you can't change. I am not saying it is the case her, but I have seen this stuff and like it, but haven't found a place where pricing can compete with what we are used to seeing - ALL IN!
I said you can find the tile for under $3. Of course install isn't included for 3 bucks sqft. And try here

Floor and Decor Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,863,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
I'm concerned about the flow of the tiles, hardwood and carpet if you have all three. Does it really blend in well with eah other?
Actually I see that a lot around Houston. Tile in the entry that goes through to the kitchen and bathrooms. Then wood in the two front formals (dining and formal living, which most people turn into a library/office anyway.) Finally, carpet in the bedrooms and upstairs hallways. This is how our home (and most others in the neighborhood) came... all newer builds, the large tiles in the entry, kitchen, family room, and bathrooms; wood in the two front formals; carpet in the bedrooms and upstairs hallway and gameroom. It's so common, I don't think it can be considered weird or bad here. And it all looks fine together, as long as the color tones are all neutral (no crazy colored tile or carpet.)

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM

413 posts, read 979,662 times
If tomorrow the greedy design center people offer me Tiles that look like wood for $11 per sq ft, I'll just have them carpet the whole damn house and do the tile/wood later.

What the decent price for a good quality tile_wood including labor? $7-$8/sq ft?

Looks great danieloneil01; one question -why did you chose a light colored grout? Did you have to seal the grout, is it even required?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
If tomorrow the greedy design center people offer me Tiles that look like wood for $11 per sq ft, I'll just have them carpet the whole damn house and do the tile/wood later.

What the decent price for a good quality tile_wood including labor? $7-$8/sq ft?

Looks great danieloneil01; one question -why did you chose a light colored grout? Did you have to seal the grout, is it even required?

The grout is actually black but still has a glaze to it since it was just put in and not cleaned yet. Yes you can seal the grout but I haven't yet. Months later the grout is still white in areas. I need to find something that can take the glaze off then I'll seal it. The grout line in my masterbedroom is 1/8 and the rest will be 1/16. You don't even need to use grout and can install them without it but most people say not to. You're looking at 6-8/sqft for the tile and having it installed with minimal prep work. But you won't get that from the Design Center. Your best bet is to tell them to not install anything and keep it concrete if that's possible.

$11/sqft for just the tile?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM

413 posts, read 979,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
The grout is actually black but still has a glaze to it since it was just put in and not cleaned yet. Yes you can seal the grout but I haven't yet. Months later the grout is still white in areas. I need to find something that can take the glaze off then I'll seal it. The grout line in my masterbedroom is 1/8 and the rest will be 1/16. You don't even need to use grout and can install them without it but most people say not to. You're looking at 6-8/sqft for the tile and having it installed with minimal prep work. But you won't get that from the Design Center. Your best bet is to tell them to not install anything and keep it concrete if that's possible.

$11/sqft for just the tile?
I had my appointment today, the tiles that look like wood are $14/ sq ft installed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or