U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM

2,263 posts, read 5,659,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
I had my appointment today, the tiles that look like wood are $14/ sq ft installed
The cheapest thing for you to do is find the tile you want for the bathrooms/kitchen (and where ever else you want tile). And then just get carpet (builder grade) for the rest of the areas (should be no extra cost to you). Then when you find what flooring you want replace the carpet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,937,760 times
Wood looks much better, but don't do it if you have pets or you'll have to replace it when you sell. On the other hand, my neighbor has 5 pets and they have wood, guess they figure enjoy it while they live there and replace when it's time to sell. I like tiles or stone in kitchen and bath, get the good type, cheap tiles with large grout lines will make your house look cheap. If wood too expensive, I'd choos carpet over tile in living and dining rooms...tiles look cold, they're hard on the feet, noisy, and you have to maintain the grout otherwise will look gross. Tiles are also cold on the feet in the winter. I have wood floors in those areas but still threw huge rugs over them for comfort and decoration. A plain large wood floor still feels cold to me without rugs.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM

240 posts, read 682,642 times
I agree with what Ihafer said above...get whatever is cheapest for now (or could they take money off the price of your house?) then install flooring yourself later. I have tile throughout my first floor and love it. As a matter of fact, it is one of the reasons why I am staying in this house because I love it that much.

The bottom line is you can find a much better price yourself than what the builder is offering.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM

413 posts, read 980,436 times
So, I have almost decided on engineered hardwood in the whole house except breakfast and kitchen

Will it look hideous to have both wood and tile?

We have dark cabinets and we're planning on a lighter textured tile in the kitchen and breakfast area. It is common or does it look good to have both wood and tiles? Any resale nightmare?

Last edited by smuggy_mba; 02-25-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
So, I have almost decided on engineered hardwood in the whole house except breakfast and kitchen?

Will it look hideous to have both wood and tile?

We have dark cabinets and we're planning on a lighter textured tile in the kitchen and breakfast area. It is common or does it look good to have both wood and tiles? Any resale nightmare?
Why is your first sentence asked as a question? Why do you keep asking if tile and wood look hideous together? Especially since every single house I have EVER been in has a wood/tile or carpet/tile or *gasp* a wood/tile/carpet combo of some sort...and I tour a LOT of model homes...I have been in a LOT of different homes, all of varying worth. Have you been in model homes (more than 1-2)? No one can tell you what you are going to like. You have to figure that one out on your own.

What do you have in your current place?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
i love tile. i always do tile. i just love it. the exception is bedrooms dont ever do it in bedrooms.
if the house is not concrete slab so i can tile, i wont buy it.
if u just gota have wood do the living room center in pergo and the rest tile.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Why is your first sentence asked as a question? Why do you keep asking if tile and wood look hideous together? Especially since every single house I have EVER been in has a wood/tile or carpet/tile or *gasp* a wood/tile/carpet combo of some sort...and I tour a LOT of model homes...I have been in a LOT of different homes, all of varying worth. Have you been in model homes (more than 1-2)? No one can tell you what you are going to like. You have to figure that one out on your own.

What do you have in your current place?
That ? was a typo.

I keep asking because I want to be sure as it's a huge expensive undertaking and I don't want to do something that is not the norm and don't want ppl to comment that it look ugly.

I've been to 4-5 model homes and they all had wood throughout so that adds to my dilemma. I did see the wood/tile combination in the design center and it looked ok. I'm going to see 1-2 model homes tomorrow..do you a model home where they had wood/tile combination, that would be huge help.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
That ? was a typo.

I keep asking because I want to be sure as it's a huge expensive undertaking and I don't want to do something that is not the norm and don't want ppl to comment that it look ugly.

I've been to 4-5 model homes and they all had wood throughout so that adds to my dilemma. I did see the wood/tile combination in the design center and it looked ok. I'm going to see 1-2 model homes tomorrow..do you a model home where they had wood/tile combination, that would be huge help.
Here's a virtual tour of a model home that has wood/tile/carpet. I would have carried the carpet through the family room while keeping the tile in the kitchen. The Midleton A in Copper Lakes: The Reserve - Highland Homes

Tile in the kitchen, wood in the family room. http://www.trendmakerhomes.com/modelhomes/107-F763/

http://www.trendmakerhomes.com/modelhomes/070-F874/

http://www.trendmakerhomes.com/modelhomes/134-S151/

Partners in Building - Gallery

I think a lot of depends on the layout of your kitchen/family room area. Are you building this house? What is the floorplan? I find that if wood is in the family room (which I prefer) that is carried into the kitchen, there is less definition of the different spaces. Changing the flooring in the kitchen can look really good depending on how the space is layed out.

In my current home, it would look weird to just have tile in the kitchen and have wood in the rest of the home, just because of how my kitchen is very open to the living room. It could be done easily enough...but the space lends itself to meshing all together vs being 2 different rooms.

This is the floorplan of my house. Since there are no walls deliniating the kitchen from the family room...having all one floor type makes sense. But there are many homes where the kitchen is more "separate" from the family room where different floor types would look great.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 AM

9,796 posts, read 7,657,892 times
I would not look at a house that had tile in the living dining. I personally like real wood floors. But, creatures sometimes make that an unreasonable choice The second choice would be some kind of natural stone.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks ihafer. We're building our house and it's yet to start but we need to decide all of this by Tuesday. Here's our plan:

We're planning on wood throughout and tile in breakfast and kitchen. I did see the trendmaker homes and it's looked good - even a dark wood with light tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile vs Hardwood floor in Familiy room and entrance-plan.gif  

Last edited by smuggy_mba; 02-26-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or