U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,665,308 times

Advertisements

Houston doesn't have an inferiority complex. However, the number of people who give informed opinions about Houston without knowledge is astounding. Its often necessary to explain Houston is not a desert (it gets more rain than Seattle), downtown isn't empty all the time and to counter endless other falacies. Having lived in both, Dallas does have something of a complex about Houston. Just like Houston NFL fans have a thing about the Cowboys, but Cowboy fans could care less about the Oilers or Texans.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,514,589 times
Funny that Dallas should come after Houston in every category on that list, including transportation. When I look at Dallas on Google Maps and click Transit, I see public train lines going out in seven directions from Downtown. For some reason, it won't let me click transit while focused on Downtown Houston. It is as though Houston doesn't have public trains in Downtown...

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM

3,267 posts, read 6,281,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston doesn't have an inferiority complex. However, the number of people who give informed opinions about Houston without knowledge is astounding. Its often necessary to explain Houston is not a desert (it gets more rain than Seattle), downtown isn't empty all the time and to counter endless other falacies. Having lived in both, Dallas does have something of a complex about Houston. Just like Houston NFL fans have a thing about the Cowboys, but Cowboy fans could care less about the Oilers or Texans.
So true.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,235,312 times
Default Attn:EverybodyThis thread is not reality!!!

In the internet forums, yes Houston has an inferiority complex and so does Dallas. In the real world, people in Houston don't even think about Dallas and for the most part, it's vice-versa. The rivalry exists because Dallas and Houston are the two powerhouses of the state.

It's really unfair to coin Houston as having the inferiority complex when I see the inferiority and bashing coming from both cities on these internet forums. If anything, Dallas is the one who has the inferiority complex. Everything Houston does, Dallas has to come right behind it stomping its feet trying to do it one step better.

My sister told of a story a few years ago, she went to a Cavendar's boot city in Dallas and she told the salesman, "Yeah i'm just here for my job projects and just got back visiting some family from Houston!" The man replied " Oh i feel so sorry for them!" She smiled and replied back "I'm sure they're saying the same about you!" And let's not forget about about the sore loser officials in Dallas who told the Olympic committee to "Watch out for those huge mosquitos in Houston" as they were getting beat out by Houston for an Olympic Bid. And also the newspaper journalists that take shots at Houston.. "Houston, that sinking feeling! Would anyone miss it?"

Threads like these are a joke, and it really seems to me like the O/P is probably a Dallasite/Dallas fan who probably is just trying to make Houston out to be a bunch of whiners who are feeding for attention. Sorry, but the reality is, Houston doesn't give a damn about Dallas and Dallas really doesn't give a damn about Houston!

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM

5,953 posts, read 7,495,565 times
I agree with stoneclaws assessment

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM

5,270 posts, read 7,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston can't have a complex, it is SUPERIOR to Dallas in every way.

Dallas is the one with the inferiority complex. always trying to outdo Houston and most often go overboard
Do you honestly think people in Dallas think of ways to "outdo" Houston? Dallasites don't give a rat's behind about what Houston is doing, I'm sure Houstonians feel the same way.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Do you honestly think people in Dallas think of ways to "outdo" Houston? Dallasites don't give a rat's behind about what Houston is doing, I'm sure Houstonians feel the same way.
I agree both city's residents know little about the other city unless they have family or have lived in it. Texans are proud of the state and where they live usually so the my dog is bigger than your dog is just talk.

I did get tired of Dallas residents consoling me when they found I was living in Houston or congratulating me when I moved up this way. I dont know if Houston residents do the same when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak.

I am not talking about a few incidents.... its happened 30 or 40 times to me and my family. All seemed to find it incredible that anyone would like Houston as a place to live... pretty naive imho.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM

2,893 posts, read 4,208,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Threads like these are a joke, and it really seems to me like the O/P is probably a Dallasite/Dallas fan who probably is just trying to make Houston out to be a bunch of whiners who are feeding for attention. Sorry, but the reality is, Houston doesn't give a damn about Dallas and Dallas really doesn't give a damn about Houston!

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)
Right...

Dirk? Really, Houston?

Houston's most hated? Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban, Dirk Nowitzki on list of most disliked sports figures in Houston | Dallas Cowboys News - Sports News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW

Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM

I agree with you. This proves my point about how little about the other city each knows. They see Dirk from afar and dont know his work ethic, his being an awesome team mate. My view of him changed from neutral to being a huge fan of Dirk and the Mavs after moving to Plano and hearing more about him and the person Dirk is

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM

3,206 posts, read 7,821,367 times
This should be about San Antonio, a city just don't get no respect in Texas. Houston is the best overall city in Texas period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or