U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,468,857 times

Advertisements

The competition is actually good for the cities. When one improves something, the next city tries to trump it.

Everybody knows that I am faaaaaaar from a Houston homer, but even I get annoyed by people's misconceptions about Houston. Everybody still associates it from when it was known as the worst big city in the country and Rice University's propaganda even include "inspite of being in Houston". Houston has come a long way.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM

5,955 posts, read 7,498,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
The competition is actually good for the cities. When one improves something, the next city tries to trump it.

Everybody knows that I am faaaaaaar from a Houston homer, but even I get annoyed by people's misconceptions about Houston. Everybody still associates it from when it was known as the worst big city in the country and Rice University's propaganda even include "inspite of being in Houston". Houston has come a long way.
I dont really see Houston has changed that much perhaps it is the country's values moved after the great recession. A city with jobs and recovery from the great recession that impacted its economy less than most cities is seen in a different light now

Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM

157 posts, read 125,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
do you know what a downtown is. I would advise that you look it up before posting uneducated comments.

neither of these downtowns suck. And Both Houston and Dallas downtowns are much much much better functioning business districts than Austins.

you sound like those silly Paris Hilton everything is a party people. If you think a downtown is a Disney land for adults then you were fooled big time.
Downtown Houston and Dallas better than Dt. Austin? I got news for you. Austin has much more lively and functioning and interesting downtown than the both Dallas and Houston. Dt. Houston is dead and been declared dead by its own presses. Just look at Main St..

Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 PM

157 posts, read 125,097 times
Houston and Dallas downtowns are just big office park with theater districts. Dallas might be a little ahead because of more housing downtown. That's about it. Maybe the art district makes a little more ahead of Houston's. Austin's downtown is a well mixed-used downtown with offices, housing, retail and entertainment. I think Austin is the best in Texas and San Antonio comes a distant second. Both Houston and Dallas need to fix up their downtowns and make it pedestrian friendly packed with things to do.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM

4,061 posts, read 5,187,083 times
Oh dont worry...Dallas is moving in the right direction...cant speak for Houston.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh dont worry...Dallas is moving in the right direction...cant speak for Houston.
Both are moving in the right direction. I love the potential of the new sports complex going up in Houston. Downtown needs more residents though. There will be three different light rail lines in the city (though only two different pair of tracks). Downtown Houston and Downtown Dallas has potential to be better than both Austin and SA. OTOH, everything does not need to be downtown. This is where Dallas and Houston stomps other Texas cities.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times
The Main Street district in downtown Dallas is the only thing that sets downtown Dallas a little above DT Houston. otherwise they are both in the same boat. DT Austin is a lot more fun, but...... Austin centers itself around DT while Dallas has many entertainment districts of different flavors throughout it's core neighborhoods.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM

4,061 posts, read 5,187,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The Main Street district in downtown Dallas is the only thing that sets downtown Dallas a little above DT Houston. otherwise they are both in the same boat. DT Austin is a lot more fun, but...... Austin centers itself around DT while Dallas has many entertainment districts of different flavors throughout it's core neighborhoods.
Yes........And DT Austin is the ONLY party spot in austin worth mentioning.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,266,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yes........And DT Austin is the ONLY party spot in austin worth mentioning.
Also worth mentioning that DT Austin is not monolithic...there are several districts throughout DT that each offer something different. Used to be totally centered around Sixth but as establishments have popped up quickly in the other districts that has shifted.

I'm wondering how a thread about Houston's alleged inferiority complex has turned into another comparison between Austin Dallas and Houston featuring the usual suspects.

To respond to the topic at hand, I have never noticed an inferiority complex from members of any particular TX city. On this forum, certain posters may have created that perception but as many have said already, in reality it doesn't exist.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,085,793 times
San Antonio says S T F U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or