U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,448,760 times
Reputation: 3545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The Main Street district in downtown Dallas is the only thing that sets downtown Dallas a little above DT Houston. otherwise they are both in the same boat. DT Austin is a lot more fun, but...... Austin centers itself around DT while Dallas has many entertainment districts of different flavors throughout it's core neighborhoods.
Wait, how is Downtown Dallas ahead of Downtown Houston, when Downtown Houston has: Theater District, Main Street Square, two sports venues inside the freeway loop (with another just a stone's throw away), Verizon Wireless Theater, etc. Downtown Houston easily has more attractions and destinations than Downtown Dallas. If anything, what's being built in DT Dallas now is just catching up to Downtown Houston currently. Now, the Aquarium in DT Dallas is better than the one in Houston. So is the fact that more of the freeways are depressed and not elevated. I'll give it that. DT Houston is just more of a destination for its metro area residents than DT Dallas is. There is more to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
San Antonio says S T F U
Houston, Dallas, and Austin say.....who??

 
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Do you honestly think people in Dallas think of ways to "outdo" Houston? Dallasites don't give a rat's behind about what Houston is doing, I'm sure Houstonians feel the same way.
Hunny bun this sounds funny coming from you seeing how just a few days ago you were talking about rubbing it in our faces if DT Dallas gets better than DT Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
This should be about San Antonio, a city just don't get no respect in Texas. Houston is the best overall city in Texas period.
They better recognize. Houston has nothing to feel inferior about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh dont worry...Dallas is moving in the right direction...cant speak for Houston.
This was discussed in another thread. Dallaz got schooled on Houston Downtowns improvements over the last decade.
3 downtown stadiums, 3 rail lines going in, multiple towers, parks, groceries, etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I'm wondering how a thread about Houston's alleged inferiority complex has turned into another comparison between Austin Dallas and Houston featuring the usual suspects.
its not rocket science, just read back and you will see where someone came in trolling insulting Houston and Dallas's downtowns and claiming Austins to be suprerior. You don't expect that to get responses???
 
Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,887 posts, read 4,121,462 times
Reputation: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Wait, how is Downtown Dallas ahead of Downtown Houston, when Downtown Houston has: Theater District, Main Street Square, two sports venues inside the freeway loop (with another just a stone's throw away), Verizon Wireless Theater, etc. Downtown Houston easily has more attractions and destinations than Downtown Dallas. If anything, what's being built in DT Dallas now is just catching up to Downtown Houston currently. Now, the Aquarium in DT Dallas is better than the one in Houston. So is the fact that more of the freeways are depressed and not elevated. I'll give it that. DT Houston is just more of a destination for its metro area residents than DT Dallas is. There is more to do.



Houston, Dallas, and Austin say.....who??

Well like I mentioned, the Main Street District in Dallas is what sets DT Dallas a bit above DT Houston. It's more active and varied than any area of downtown Houston. Yes downtown Houston has all of those areas within it's boundaries, as DT Dallas has multiple different areas as well. West End, Farmers Market District, Arts District.... but where in DT Houston is like the Main Street District in Dallas in terms of multiple uses in a dense area? When I've spent time in DT Houston it just feel like a lot of office buildings without a large mixture of housing, nightlife, restaurants, etc connected to the buildings. I went to Discovery Green for New Years and we had to leave DT to find somewhere to go clubbing afer the event. You don't like what DT Dallas has to offer? Within a 1/2 mile is Victory park, Deep Ellum, Uptown to help you find what you're looking for. They all connect directly with the CBD of Dallas.

Last edited by R1070; 02-26-2012 at 12:58 PM..
 
Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well like I mentioned, the Main Street District in Dallas is what sets DT Dallas a bit above DT Houston. It's more active and varied than any area of downtown Houston. Yes downtown Houston has all of those areas within it's boundaries, as DT Dallas has multiple different areas as well. West End, Farmers Market District, Arts District.... but where in DT Houston is like the Main Street District in Dallas in terms of multiple uses in a dense area? When I've spent time in DT Houston it just feel like a lot of office buildings without a large mixture of housing, nightlife, restaurants, etc connected to the buildings. I went to Discovery Green for New Years and we had to leave DT to find somewhere to go clubbing afer the event. You don't like what DT Dallas has to offer? Within a 1/2 mile is Victory park, Deep Ellum, Uptown to help you find what you're looking for. They all connect directly with the CBD of Dallas.
Market Square in DT has all of that. Variety of Restaurants, Night Clubs, theaters, the park itself etc etc. And you are going overboard by saying that DTH is mainly a bunch of office buildings without a large mixture of Housing, restaurants and nightlife. Houston and Dallas are on the same page in that category.

And when you visited Discovery Green you chose to leave downtown to go clubbing, you didn't HAVE to.

A quick google search for bars and clubs in DT Houston gave over 30 results a little more than for DTD.

A quick google search for restaurants in DT Houston gave 224 restaurants, a bit more than for DTD.

You didn't know where to go so you assumed you had to leave DT Houston and because of that you are assuming again that DT D has more of these things
 
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,887 posts, read 4,121,462 times
Reputation: 1870
Why would I have to google? As a tourist it should be easy to find. DT Houston is a lot more compartmentalized and a lot larger which is not friendly to those visiting.
 
Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Why would I have to google? As a tourist it should be easy to find. DT Houston is a lot more compartmentalized and a lot larger which is not friendly to those visiting.
didn't say you had to google it. I said I did a simple google search and found that number. Meaning there are plenty out there and you chose to go somewhere else.

Just because you couldn't find it doesn't mean that the tourists don't

Also DT Houston is not that large. Its about 10 blocks by 12 blocks.
 
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,887 posts, read 4,121,462 times
Reputation: 1870
My original point was that compared to Houston, if you were at an event in Dallas on Main Street or at West End/Victory Park there would not be confusion on where to go. Everything is right in your face and it's mixed in with apartments and condos all around. I just don't recall seeing that anywhere in downtown Houston. I think DT Houston is very clean and is a nice DT, but very broken up compared to Dallas which gives DT Dallas an edge in vibrancy (in certain sections). The rest of DT Dallas is blah.
 
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
My original point was that compared to Houston, if you were at an event in Dallas on Main Street or at West End/Victory Park there would not be confusion on where to go. Everything is right in your face and it's mixed in with apartments and condos all around. I just don't recall seeing that anywhere in downtown Houston. I think DT Houston is very clean and is a nice DT, but very broken up compared to Dallas which gives DT Dallas an edge (in certain sections). The rest of DT Dallas is blah.
and my point is just because you were confused (well you say confused, I say you chose to leave) doesn't mean others are. Everything is right in your face on main street, everything is right on your face in market square, every thing is right in your face in midtown, everything is right in your face in Washingtown ave, everything is right in your face in Montrose.
 
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,887 posts, read 4,121,462 times
Reputation: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
and my point is just because you were confused (well you say confused, I say you chose to leave) doesn't mean others are. Everything is right in your face on main street, everything is right on your face in market square, every thing is right in your face in midtown, everything is right in your face in Washingtown ave, everything is right in your face in Montrose.
I have been to Midtown, Market Square and all of those areas and I guess I seem confused because the Houston posters make it seem as if Houston offers this in a better package than what is in Dallas and I feel like when I've been to Houston I've somehow missed the hip vibrant areas in those neighborhoods, but I guess I was where I was supposed to be. With that said Dallas packages itself better than Houston because I've yet to see an area in Houston that seemed to trump what Dallas offers.
 
Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have been to Midtown, Market Square and all of those areas and I guess I seem confused because the Houston posters make it seem as if Houston offers this in a better package than what is in Dallas and I feel like when I've been to Houston I've somehow missed the hip vibrant areas in those neighborhoods, but I guess I was where I was supposed to be. With that said Dallas packages itself better than Houston because I've yet to see an area in Houston that seemed to trump what Dallas offers.
don't know where you went so I can't help you.

All I know is that the things are there, and that DT Houston has some of the best ammenities in a downtown in the state. From its sporting complexes to its Theaters, and live art performances, no other city in Texas matches it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top