U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
Downtown Houston needs housing, housing and housing! It needs more retail shops and services. The 224 restaurants in downtown are mostly small deli and fast food types in the tunnel. It has absolutely no street life. They built these bland towers with no thought for pedestrians. If they somehow fix up the downtown core, I think there will be less inferiority complex. It needs zoning laws for the rest of the city to make it better.
This is what I was trying to say without starting WWIII. I just havent seen anything in DT Houston like the Main Street District in Dallas with the mix of apts, condos, restaurants, bars, clubs, boutique hotels and now add in the new parks. It is evolving into a true urban neighborhood. There's even an urban grocery store right there. It is very centralized and walkable and only a block from Dart.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,498,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This is what I was trying to say without starting WWIII. I just havent seen anything in DT Houston like the Main Street District in Dallas with the mix of apts, condos, restaurants, bars, clubs, boutique hotels and now add in the new parks. It is evolving into a true urban neighborhood. There's even an urban grocery store right there. It is very centralized and walkable and only a block from Dart.
Downtown Houston didnt impact my life when I lived there nor does DT Dallas impact me living in Plano. My dogs bigger than your dog doesnt impact most lives or pride in their city.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,492,902 times
Quote:
Folks, Downtown Dallas is ahead of Downtown Houston. Downtown Dallas has housing! Dt. Houston has very little of it. Downtown Dallas has new arts/theater intertainment complexes that's worth noting. Overall, Downtown Dallas is ahead of Dt. Houston by 10 years. However, with that said, they both are behind Austin and San Antonio. Ft. Worth creams Dt. Dallas.
Got some actual numbers on downtown housing or are you just going with what you see and feel? I would be surprise if Houston had more housing but I don't expect there to be a dramatic difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Downtown Houston is geographical bigger, but I agree that DT Dallas has things more centralized. DT Houston's activity centers are in the NW which inculude Market Square Park, Theatre District, and Bayou Place and the SW which includes Toyata Center, Disco Green, and the Pavillions. However, DT Houston have more venues. I think people forget that we have the Toyata Center and Minute Maid Park that can bring tens of thousands of people into downtown for a game or concert. Or the fact that we have the Verizon Center that can bring in thousands for concerts and events.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Downtown Houston needs housing, housing and housing! It needs more retail shops and services. The 224 restaurants in downtown are mostly small deli and fast food types in the tunnel. It has absolutely no street life. They built these bland towers with no thought for pedestrians. If they somehow fix up the downtown core, I think there will be less inferiority complex. It needs zoning laws for the rest of the city to make it better.
I hate to say it but I agree with this. Downtown Houston needs the residents. All those other services will come in due time. But everyone in Houston knows downtown needs residents. The problem is maybe that either the value of land is astronomical or developers are taking advantage of Houstons lack of zoning and building towers in other places. Maybe even both. Only OPP has has been built I believe in the last few years in downtown. Houston has a plan to increase shopping, dining, and other activites. But they need residents mostly. But it seems the galleria area is the place to build residential towers. That's ok. But downtown is seemingly forgotten.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Dallas is continuing its plan to work with developers on converting the older office buildings into apartments with retail. There are whole blocks around Main Street Garden that are currently being renovated into Apartments. This area of DT Dallas is really coming around and this will help with office vacancy rates in the core. Lot of housing is being built in the Farmers Market District of DT as well. I foresee more apts going in around the West End like what was going up before the market bust.
The fact that Uptown literally directly connects to downtown essentially forming one big area, hurts the potential within the actual downtown limits. If you took away the defining borders it would look like one urban core becoming more dense.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,450,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hate to say it but I agree with this. Downtown Houston needs the residents. All those other services will come in due time. But everyone in Houston knows downtown needs residents. The problem is maybe that either the value of land is astronomical or developers are taking advantage of Houstons lack of zoning and building towers in other places. Maybe even both. Only OPP has has been built I believe in the last few years in downtown. Houston has a plan to increase shopping, dining, and other activites. But they need residents mostly. But it seems the galleria area is the place to build residential towers. That's ok. But downtown is seemingly forgotten.
Only One Park Place has been built, which has like a 90% occupancy rate, but there have been conversions.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,498,055 times
Culturally Houston beats Dallas hands down. Houston symphony is not cutting performances - Dallas has financial issues. Houston ballet and opera are recognized across the US. Dallas on the other hand has a nice building in Meyerson. But we need to move beyond looks to measure a city.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Downtown residential development is being overrated here. It is no doubt important, but when you factor in venues that can brings thousands of visitors at one time or the hundred thousand workers that come into downtown during the work day, that's where the retailers are making their money. There still isn't a critical mass of residential in either DT Dallas or Houston. That will certainly take many years. Also, I think it is worth noting Dallas's subsidizes a lot its residential, while Houston focuses it's money on infrastructure and venues.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Culturally Houston beats Dallas hands down. Houston symphony is not cutting performances - Dallas has financial issues. Houston ballet and opera are recognized across the US. Dallas on the other hand has a nice building in Meyerson. But we need to move beyond looks to measure a city.
This. Houston is the second most charitable city in the nation for 2011 and the arts are a big part of that.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Houston's well established arts is very impressive. DFW definitely looked up to Houston in this regard. The big cities in Texas blow away any other southern metros when it comes to the arts. I love the Hermann Park/Museum District in Houston. It's my favorite area of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or