U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM

350 posts, read 720,488 times

Advertisements

During my time on the internet and in my interactions all around Texas, I've always been amused by the pervasive Houston inferiority complex. It may be a travel forum I'm on where someone is asking for info about DFW Airport and the Houstonites insist upon butting in and spouting unasked for stuff about IAH. It may be on an architecture forum where someone is discussing Pei architecture in Dallas and the Houston people won't shut up. It's Houston's transit agency certifying their trains to 66 MPH to beat DART's 65. It's having to lie about where I'm from when I'm in Houston so people won't harass me.

What's up with it? What causes it? Why do Dallas people seem self deprecating while the Houston people are the proverbial poorly endowed guy driving the big pickup truck?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM

5,953 posts, read 7,495,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
During my time on the internet and in my interactions all around Texas, I've always been amused by the pervasive Houston inferiority complex. It may be a travel forum I'm on where someone is asking for info about DFW Airport and the Houstonites insist upon butting in and spouting unasked for stuff about IAH. It may be on an architecture forum where someone is discussing Pei architecture in Dallas and the Houston people won't shut up. It's Houston's transit agency certifying their trains to 66 MPH to beat DART's 65. It's having to lie about where I'm from when I'm in Houston so people won't harass me.

What's up with it? What causes it? Why do Dallas people seem self deprecating while the Houston people are the proverbial poorly endowed guy driving the big pickup truck?
Dallas looks down on Houston while Houston could care less about Dallas. Dallas wants to be NY checks your blood line, Houston is open and accepting regardless of petigree etc.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM

3,267 posts, read 6,281,625 times
Dallas self deprecating? HAHAHAHA! The $30,000 millionaire phenomenon didn't arise in Houston...

You really don't want to open this can of worms

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM

982 posts, read 1,038,061 times
Houston does have an inferiority complex. When you have to keep reminding everyone that you're "America's fourth largest city"(when most others either don't know or don't care), then you probably have an identity problem as well. Since when is being 4th a good thing? Chicago doesn't bill itself as "America's 3rd largest city". Most of America's perception of Houston hasn't grown along with the city's growth over the last 50 years and some people work harder to spread the word that Houston is infact a large,cosmopolitan city (certainly the best Texas has to offer). I don't use CD as a microcosm of society but some Houston AND Dallas posters try extra hard when being compared to other, more known cities. That wreaks of insecurity. In time, things will change. Houston doesn't nearly have the history or attractions of other major cities so naturally its national profile will not be on the same level.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM

See post about Dallas vs Houston incomes for an example of Dallas strut.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 PM

318 posts, read 371,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Dallas looks down on Houston while Houston could care less about Dallas. Dallas wants to be NY checks your blood line, Houston is open and accepting regardless of petigree etc.
On the contrary, the Houston "homers" on this site are obsessed with Dallas. Even when they move away, they never pass up an opportunity to bash.

Dallas is pretentions.
Dallas's terrain is flat and boring.
Dallas's buildings aren't very tall.
Dallas is a blank prairie with very few trees.
The food in Dallas is all chain restaurants.
Dallas isn't as diverse as that other place.
Dallas's freeways are lousy and the road full of potholes.
Dallas is sterile, "too clean," and sanitary because of restrictive zoning.
Dallas relies too much on Fort Worth.
Dallas's medical facilities are sub-par.
DART ridership per mile is lousy.
Downtown Dallas has only one sports venue.
Dallas's lakes are crummy compared to the wonderful Gulf of Mexico.
Dallas is too far away from New Orleans.
Hardly anything is IN Dallas (stadiums, int'l airport, etc.)
Dallas's zoo is no big deal.
Dallas doesn't have multiple downtowns.
Dallas's lack of humidity makes the skin dry.
Dallas doesn't "feel" ... (insert anything ridiculous you want to: diverse, cosmopolitan, big, dynamic). This is perhaps the most specious of all, as if something as subjective as "feeling" means anything.
Dallas is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.
All the reality shows filming in Dallas show the city in a bad light (even though everyone knows these shows are heavily edited, and they add millions of $ to the local economy).
The Super Bowl was a disaster.
The Dallas Cowboys are overrated (OK, I'll give you that one!).

I could come up with a dozen or more examples if I had the time, but anyone who is a regular reader of these boards can vouch for everything I listed.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,269,077 times
Both towns are stupid compared to cities elsewhere, in other states. They are much more alike than different. Go ahead and rave about these losers...

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM

194 posts, read 433,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post

Judging by your use of the term "Houstonites," I can make an assumption that 1) you're not from Houston 2) you're probably from Dallas.

Houstonians, my friend. Houstonians.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

179 posts, read 129,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Houston does have an inferiority complex. When you have to keep reminding everyone that you're "America's fourth largest city"(when most others either don't know or don't care), then you probably have an identity problem as well. Since when is being 4th a good thing? Chicago doesn't bill itself as "America's 3rd largest city". Most of America's perception of Houston hasn't grown along with the city's growth over the last 50 years and some people work harder to spread the word that Houston is infact a large,cosmopolitan city (certainly the best Texas has to offer). I don't use CD as a microcosm of society but some Houston AND Dallas posters try extra hard when being compared to other, more known cities. That wreaks of insecurity. In time, things will change. Houston doesn't nearly have the history or attractions of other major cities so naturally its national profile will not be on the same level.
Really good point. Both cities are very insecure because they do not offer a good urban experience compared to major cities in other similarly-sized metro areas, or even compared to some of the nicer more urban smaller towns like Seattle, Denver, Baltimore, etc. However, some of the insecurity arises out of unfair perceptions (see below).

Last time I was in Manhattan, I kid you not, the only mention of Houston on the local news was of a horse running loose on the streets. The anchorman made some joke about seeing something similar when he had to visit some random small town out west.

That's the truth about how people from the coasts view Houston (and to a lesser extent Dallas), and that's the source of the insecurity because people in Houston know that's how it's viewed. If people spent time in Houston they'd realize it's not a complete wasteland of horses and tumbleweeds, just more like a large suburb with some good cultural amenities spread out. It's definitely not a "terrible" city, and you can do much worse (Detroit, Jacksonville). It's just rather bland and unattractive in most places.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM

I've lived in NYC sububs in NJ as well as Houston and Dallas. I miss nothing about NYC area and enjoy my small cities of Houston and Dallas. Only Dallas residents comment about how much I must enjoy being out of the Houston humidity or blue collar or dirty air environment. Houston says welcome to Houston to those who move from Dallas. What matters these days is can you get a good job with good pay. Houston and Dallas offer more than other cities if you dont believe me then why are many moving from those awesome cities to Tx for work? We have unsustainable costly lifestyles on both coasts. Was it nice while it lasted and felt affordable, I suppose but long term .....well wait and see....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or