U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 2,467,527 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

I don't know if I would call Houston a pretty conservative town. Texas yes, but I think we have some fairly open-minded free thinkers here.

This is a positive post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Beach City Texas
169 posts, read 375,797 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdias08 View Post
Thanks for all your responses. I looked at har.com and there was a very pretty house listed in La Porte area. thoughts about La Porte?
Living near La Porte, I can tell you that it's a nice small bedroom community with the only beach (very small) that doesn't always have brown water. The area is very industrial (you will see allot of 18 wheelers along Barbours cut Blvd) though and commute to Galveston is a traffic light filled 50+ minutes. The there is also tons of construction on the commuting route so those lights can be bypassed by highway lanes. It should be finished in a year or so (we all hope)
La Porte doesn't have many parks though, only 2 or 3, and only one grocery store, a Kroger's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
 
2,582 posts, read 7,674,173 times
Reputation: 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdias08 View Post
So, I see you live in Northwest Houston? From the research I've done, it seems this is the more progressive area to be and the southeast is going to be totally different. Is this correct?
If by Progressive you mean more liberal, no. I have lived in both and definitely not. Other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 AM
 
Location: A little suburb of Houston
3,702 posts, read 15,923,098 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Several of the USCG folks I know live in the League City area.
I think the commute would be slightly longer than you indicated, especially with the ongoing roadwork on 146. The school district has had some recet issues as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 AM
 
613 posts, read 855,785 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdias08 View Post
Hi all,

We're a Coast Guard family of 3 moving to the Galveston/Houston area because my husband will be stationed in Galveston. We have a 2.5 year old daughter and a 10 year old dog. We'll be moving mid June of this year.

We currently live in southern California and am going to miss the lifestyle here. I'm worried about living in the Houston area because my interests include organic foods, farmers markets, yoga, and outdoorsy stuff, like hiking and camping and just being outside in general. I know Houston is a pretty conservative town and it is hot there. My husband is pretty conservative in his political views but enjoys the same interests I do.

So, trying to figure out where the best places to live that my husband wouldn't have to drive more than 45 minutes to work. I would like family friendly, of course, and close access to nearby organic markets and yoga studios if possible. And, a pretty area with parks would be nice. School districts don't matter as much because we'll most likely put my daughter in private school.
any suggestions??

Thank you so much for any info you can give me!!
Houston has most of the things you are asking for but they will be much more prevalent if you are actually in central Houston than if you are down south somewhere.

For example: organic foods - Whole Foods Market is from Texas (Austin) and stores are throughout the Houston area. From where I live, there are two within a short drive. HEB's Central Market is a great organic place as well. In addition to that, numerous smaller organic markets. Yoga - all over the place. Loads of parks within Houston. There is a farmers market near us in Rice University.

In terms of outdoorsy stuff, that really depends on your temperature tolerance. Late spring to early Autumn is very hot and humid. We do not let that stop us too much, though. We spend time in parks, at the zoo, making little regional road trips (plenty of places to go on that front.

In terms of conservatism, yes it is more conservative than southern California is likely to be but less conservative than the rest of Texas. The area went for Obama in the last election. They mayor of Houston is one of the first openly gay mayors of a major US city. So generally less conservative than you'd think. That said, step out to suburbs and I suspect the conservatism ratchets up a bit.

Problem is none of this really helps you as it would be a very long drive for your husband if you lived in or near Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Providence
428 posts, read 524,737 times
Reputation: 642
Here is a co-op with organics in Montrose area, but the list also has other co-op info...like the one in League City.
Central City Co-Op: Houston Locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
 
563 posts, read 751,894 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Houston has most of the things you are asking for but they will be much more prevalent if you are actually in central Houston than if you are down south somewhere.

For example: organic foods - Whole Foods Market is from Texas (Austin) and stores are throughout the Houston area. From where I live, there are two within a short drive. HEB's Central Market is a great organic place as well. In addition to that, numerous smaller organic markets. Yoga - all over the place. Loads of parks within Houston. There is a farmers market near us in Rice University.

In terms of outdoorsy stuff, that really depends on your temperature tolerance. Late spring to early Autumn is very hot and humid. We do not let that stop us too much, though. We spend time in parks, at the zoo, making little regional road trips (plenty of places to go on that front.

In terms of conservatism, yes it is more conservative than southern California is likely to be but less conservative than the rest of Texas. The area went for Obama in the last election. They mayor of Houston is one of the first openly gay mayors of a major US city. So generally less conservative than you'd think. That said, step out to suburbs and I suspect the conservatism ratchets up a bit.

Problem is none of this really helps you as it would be a very long drive for your husband if you lived in or near Houston.
Very good post. This "spread the reputation" thing is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,211,168 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdias08 View Post
So, I see you live in Northwest Houston? From the research I've done, it seems this is the more progressive area to be and the southeast is going to be totally different. Is this correct?
Why do you care so much about "progressive" and "conservative", don't most military people tend to be more conservative? Anyway, inside the city tends to be more liberal. The further you go out to the suburbs and the rural areas, it gets more conservative.(Just like in every other state)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,719 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I think the commute would be slightly longer than you indicated, especially with the ongoing roadwork on 146. The school district has had some recet issues as well.
My husband leaves at 5:30 to go to work and usually gets off around 1:30 so I'm not sure he'd be in the peak traffic times. He just doesn't want to be in the car more than 45 minutes each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,719 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw7337 View Post
Living near La Porte, I can tell you that it's a nice small bedroom community with the only beach (very small) that doesn't always have brown water. The area is very industrial (you will see allot of 18 wheelers along Barbours cut Blvd) though and commute to Galveston is a traffic light filled 50+ minutes. The there is also tons of construction on the commuting route so those lights can be bypassed by highway lanes. It should be finished in a year or so (we all hope)
La Porte doesn't have many parks though, only 2 or 3, and only one grocery store, a Kroger's.
Do you know if the air quality is bad, like if it's industrial, are there chemicals and crap being released in the air in that area near the east side? What about younger families? I'd like to be around other families with small children so my daughter can have friends to play with in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top