U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,737 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Houston has most of the things you are asking for but they will be much more prevalent if you are actually in central Houston than if you are down south somewhere.

For example: organic foods - Whole Foods Market is from Texas (Austin) and stores are throughout the Houston area. From where I live, there are two within a short drive. HEB's Central Market is a great organic place as well. In addition to that, numerous smaller organic markets. Yoga - all over the place. Loads of parks within Houston. There is a farmers market near us in Rice University.

In terms of outdoorsy stuff, that really depends on your temperature tolerance. Late spring to early Autumn is very hot and humid. We do not let that stop us too much, though. We spend time in parks, at the zoo, making little regional road trips (plenty of places to go on that front.

In terms of conservatism, yes it is more conservative than southern California is likely to be but less conservative than the rest of Texas. The area went for Obama in the last election. They mayor of Houston is one of the first openly gay mayors of a major US city. So generally less conservative than you'd think. That said, step out to suburbs and I suspect the conservatism ratchets up a bit.

Problem is none of this really helps you as it would be a very long drive for your husband if you lived in or near Houston.

Thank you for the helpful info. I understand that we can't live in Houston cuz it would be too far for my hubby But as long as we're not too far from Houston so we can easily go on the weekends to the grocery store or just to visit the city.

What would you consider the most ideal suburb - Pearland, Friendswood, League City or Clear lake - out of these choices that would be close enough to Houston and may have a cute downtown area and the homes wouldn't be as cookie cutter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,737 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why do you care so much about "progressive" and "conservative", don't most military people tend to be more conservative? Anyway, inside the city tends to be more liberal. The further you go out to the suburbs and the rural areas, it gets more conservative.(Just like in every other state)
I'm concerned with this mostly because of the mom groups that I would like to be involved in and the schools I choose for my daughter. I practice Attachment Parenting with my daughter, which is more popular with the natural and "crunchy" mamas...I looked at meetup.com for groups or schools that share these interests and they were all located in the Northwest part of Houston - Cypress and Humble to be specific and the school I looked at was in Houston Heights and the other school was in the Woodlands.

My husband is military, not me. So yes, he is conservative - I'm liberal...However, I stay at home with my daughter while he is deployed so I'd like to surround myself and my daughter with like-minded moms and tots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,737 times
Reputation: 36
This is the house in La Porte that I'm looking at...I love it. I love the style and the big yard and pretty much everything about it from the pics. I'm not sure about this industrial area though.

115 Meadowlawn St, La Porte, TX 77571 - HAR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
8,626 posts, read 16,252,078 times
Reputation: 5938
League City or Friendswood would be a great place for you - family orient communities with great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,215,263 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdias08 View Post
I'm concerned with this mostly because of the mom groups that I would like to be involved in and the schools I choose for my daughter. I practice Attachment Parenting with my daughter, which is more popular with the natural and "crunchy" mamas...I looked at meetup.com for groups or schools that share these interests and they were all located in the Northwest part of Houston - Cypress and Humble to be specific and the school I looked at was in Houston Heights and the other school was in the Woodlands.

My husband is military, not me. So yes, he is conservative - I'm liberal...However, I stay at home with my daughter while he is deployed so I'd like to surround myself and my daughter with like-minded moms and tots.
"Crunchy mamas", that sounds like a porn movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
 
2,700 posts, read 3,786,203 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
"Crunchy mamas", that sounds like a porn movie.
Why are you being so snippy? I can understand California perception being wary of Tx. I mean we have shown this county Bush and Perry. Can you blame people for thinking we're kind of super conservative. I was talking to a month old Houston transplant at work today and he was like "I was kind of shocked Santorum wasn't a Texan. He seems like he'd be a Texan"


I'm confused on this Attachment parenting thing. I looked it up and went whoa, Holy Helicopter Parent needs to cut the apron strings, kid will be married STILL living at home with parent type of thing.

It's interesting that from research OP has done that it's more concentrated in the NW. I would think it would be spread around to most suburbs where the husband is bordering on what's deemed "rich" and mom stays at home. That seems a more conservative type of thing to me so OP being liberal is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,215,263 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Why are you being so snippy? I can understand California perception being wary of Tx. I mean we have shown this county Bush and Perry. Can you blame people for thinking we're kind of super conservative. I was talking to a month old Houston transplant at work today and he was like "I was kind of shocked Santorum wasn't a Texan. He seems like he'd be a Texan"


I'm confused on this Attachment parenting thing. I looked it up and went whoa, Holy Helicopter Parent needs to cut the apron strings, kid will be married STILL living at home with parent type of thing.

It's interesting that from research OP has done that it's more concentrated in the NW. I would think it would be spread around to most suburbs where the husband is bordering on what's deemed "rich" and mom stays at home. That seems a more conservative type of thing to me so OP being liberal is interesting.
I'm not being snippy, just saying the op shouldn't be worried about stuff like that. And crunchy mamas does sound like a porn flick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,737 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Why are you being so snippy? I can understand California perception being wary of Tx. I mean we have shown this county Bush and Perry. Can you blame people for thinking we're kind of super conservative. I was talking to a month old Houston transplant at work today and he was like "I was kind of shocked Santorum wasn't a Texan. He seems like he'd be a Texan"


I'm confused on this Attachment parenting thing. I looked it up and went whoa, Holy Helicopter Parent needs to cut the apron strings, kid will be married STILL living at home with parent type of thing.

It's interesting that from research OP has done that it's more concentrated in the NW. I would think it would be spread around to most suburbs where the husband is bordering on what's deemed "rich" and mom stays at home. That seems a more conservative type of thing to me so OP being liberal is interesting.
It's actually quite the opposite. Attachment Parenting ensures that the child have a strong attachment at birth and in the younger years so as they get older, they will be more independent and feel strong and secure in the world when they do go out on their own and won't rely on mommy and daddy when they become adults. It is quite demanding when they are younger (my daughter is 2.5) but there are many AP moms that work. We are a military family so we move quite a bit so my job is staying at home for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,737 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm not being snippy, just saying the op shouldn't be worried about stuff like that. And crunchy mamas does sound like a porn flick.
Do you have children or have you ever taken care of a 2.5 year old by yourself? I am the type that thrives on support of community, especially when my husband is out at sea. he was in Iraq for 1 year when she was born. It is tough doing this on your own. I don't want to end up living in a community where I have no common interests with anyone.

Earthy Crunchy Mama
(urthee kruhn-chee mah-muh)
-noun, earth·y crunch·y ma·ma
1. a person who is environmentally, health, and socially conscious.
2. a parent who fosters a strong, positive bond with their children through natural living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
 
43 posts, read 74,737 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
League City or Friendswood would be a great place for you - family orient communities with great schools.
Thank you!! I will be visiting these areas for sure. We're coming in April to take a look at the hoods and parks and such and then drive down to base in Galveston and see how long it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top