U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 AM

2,465 posts, read 4,803,042 times

Advertisements

About time someone is doing something about our useless and lazy Postal Service. Is absolutely depressing to go to any USPS facility in this city. What a bunch of lazy and useless folks. Fire them all for what I care....

Postal service downsizing plan cuts 35,000 jobs - Business - US business - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 AM

8,955 posts, read 14,106,193 times
I have noticed that it is a branch by branch thing. Some of the ones that I have used are three times faster than others.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,552,501 times
They work for the govt. Do you expect anything more?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM

14,817 posts, read 18,832,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
About time someone is doing something about our useless and lazy Postal Service. Is absolutely depressing to go to any USPS facility in this city. What a bunch of lazy and useless folks. Fire them all for what I care....

Postal service downsizing plan cuts 35,000 jobs - Business - US business - msnbc.com
I'd love to see the USPS gone, to see how happy people are going to be when FedEx and UPS decide to start cranking up the prices since they don't have anymore cheap competition.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,793,757 times
really ecasue the old ladies at the one I go to be working it with a grace and charm, dealing with 50 60 people at once sometimes and still mangae to keep a decent pace..but hey lets end the post serivce that way fex ex can charge you whenever you need to send a simple letter, what do they charge just for a pick up again?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,788,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I have noticed that it is a branch by branch thing. Some of the ones that I have used are three times faster than others.
Exactly. And I love our mailman. He replaced the previous mail carrier who walked the neighborhood for 20 years. He spends about 3 hours a days walking the neighborhood delivering mail door to door. He's notified people of broken sprinkler valves, loose dogs (that he knows what houses they belong to), picks up flyers off the walkways and brings them up to the door, and he even stopped an attempted garage breaking a few years ago. Not to mention that he knows everyone by name.

But I will agree, I've been in some really bad post offices in the past decade. Ours is ok, but I'd go to the UPS Store before them to mail things, just to avoid the line

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM

1,194 posts, read 2,897,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
but hey lets end the post serivce that way fex ex can charge you whenever you need to send a simple letter, what do they charge just for a pick up again?
There's an easy way around having to pay FedEx, UPS, or the USPS, for that matter, to handle and deliver whatever you're sending anywhere in the world overnight......deliver it yourself. simple.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,167,642 times
We lived in a rural neighborhood for years, and loved our post office, and the ladies that worked there. Our mail lady always had time to stop and talk. When I retired, it was a ritual that when she pulled up to put the mailbox, I would walk out, and we would catch up on things in the neighborhood, and generally socialize. Of course, country life is a little bit slower than city life. Ahh, the good old days.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM

9,814 posts, read 7,666,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
We lived in a rural neighborhood for years, and loved our post office, and the ladies that worked there. Our mail lady always had time to stop and talk. When I retired, it was a ritual that when she pulled up to put the mailbox, I would walk out, and we would catch up on things in the neighborhood, and generally socialize. Of course, country life is a little bit slower than city life. Ahh, the good old days.
Our city carrier has a timer on her truck. If she stop too long, the buzzer goes off to tell her to move on.

I love my mail carrier and the post office we use. I have never understood why people get so up in arms about the USPS. Where else can I spend less than 50 cents and send something from Houston to NYC or Lake Tahoe in a couple of days.

When daughter came home from Swathmore, big brown drop her trunk, broke it and we could not get it back. She was leaving Pa. about the same time as the trunk so she put our Houston address as the return. We almost had to go up there to get her stuff. It was a nightmare.

I can say, we had never had a problem that our carrier could not fix.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM

613 posts, read 856,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd love to see the USPS gone, to see how happy people are going to be when FedEx and UPS decide to start cranking up the prices since they don't have anymore cheap competition.
The postal service is an outdated organization that needs to be massively restructured or else it does not deserve to survive. Right now it is inefficient, annoying and it loses money hand over fist. Of course, the necessary restructuring will never occur given it is a government owned business. There will only be band aids slapped on until it finally dies.

The biggest problem, of course is this: why send a letter when you can send an email? Why send a bill when you can pay online or by direct debit? Why send a document when you can scan and email or fax? Who here on this board, on an average day, receives more real mail than they do junk mail?

How do you save the postal service? For starters:

- Eliminate daily mail service. Let's be honest, who amongst us really needs to receive mail 6 days a week? Shift to a schedule of two deliveries per week spread out over 6 days and drastically reduce the number of mail carriers as a result.

- Shift away from a residential mail focus to more of a business mail and package focus including online retailers.

- Slash the number of large mail locations and shift to a smaller number of smaller locations with more automation. Rely on more 3rd party drop off locations like Mailbox, etc.

- Implement best practice in distribution from the likes of UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. and slash costs there.

If USPS cannot become anymore than a sink hole for tax dollars (you pay more for USPS than you think you do as your tax dollars go towards keeping it afloat) then it should be dismantled or privatized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or