U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,673,261 times

Advertisements

I could be mistaken on this, but I think there was a lawsuit the Houston Chronicle was involved with that forced the city to allow them to sell the papers at the intersections, which also allowed the pan-handling. I may not be remembering all of that right. But I think there was something to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,750,301 times
City ordinance already prohibited panhandling within 8 feet of ATMs, parking meters, bus shelters and gas pumps. The council extended the rule to outdoor dining establishments.
City Council on Wednesday passed a ban on panhandling within 8 feet of a sidewalk cafe. Violation of the buffer zone is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum fine of $500.( hahaha!! fine panhandler!)

The council also had before it an extension to East Downtown of a so-called civility ordinance that bans sleeping and sitting on sidewalks, in response to loft and apartment residents who report frequent instances of public urination, littering and noise nuisances. Action on that item was delayed for a week.

Houston diners will have 8-foot buffer from panhandlers - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,905,975 times
i know under many overpasses there are signs saying "no loitering, camping" etc. the homeless always find somewhere else to go if a city core pushes them out... because well they don't just disappear. houston also has a "homeless count" every year compassionate people can volunteer for. the goal is to physically count every homeless person in the city. overall it is pretty fun

the panhandling right outside my neighborhood does make me upset. there is a really nice guy that works 8-10 hours just about every Saturday and Sunday selling newspapers and he is sometimes crowded out or has to stand around with someone going after his customers for change. then of course it is upsetting when you see people giving their spare change/bucks to a guy posing as a charity fundraiser. it is almost always some work truck or junky vehicle giving them money and you know they probably could be doing something better with it

Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 PM

87 posts, read 150,967 times
The newspaper guys I don't mind so much. I think mainly because they aren't there every day and actually have something to offer.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,240,717 times
I occasionally will buy a meal for a homeless person. I have also given my leftovers to one who asked me if they could have my food when I was leaving a restaurant. I don't do it every time - would be impossible but occasionally I do. Many of those on the street are mentally ill - others are just lazy lowlifes and often you can tell the difference and spot those who are obviously mentally ill or disabled..

Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,299 times
I really get a kick out of the ones who try to play the racial sympathy card with me. They're like, "Aww, c'mon BROTHA, help me out BROTHA." I'm like, I already have a brother. And he has a job. You should try the same.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,015,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I had a very naive friend spend one Saturday buying fast food and trying to distribute to the people with signs stating they needed food. Most of them threw the food back at her. Unfortunately, she had her young son with her (trying to teach compassion). I think it was a failed lesson. Her heart was in the right place.
Probably a very good lesson for both.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
City ordinance already prohibited panhandling within 8 feet of ATMs, parking meters, bus shelters and gas pumps. The council extended the rule to outdoor dining establishments.
City Council on Wednesday passed a ban on panhandling within 8 feet of a sidewalk cafe. Violation of the buffer zone is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum fine of $500.( hahaha!! fine panhandler!)

The council also had before it an extension to East Downtown of a so-called civility ordinance that bans sleeping and sitting on sidewalks, in response to loft and apartment residents who report frequent instances of public urination, littering and noise nuisances. Action on that item was delayed for a week.

Houston diners will have 8-foot buffer from panhandlers - Houston Chronicle
Hasnt really worked at the gas stations and the bums stand just outside the dining area so they bother you when you are finished.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM

For the record I contribute to the local food shelves with the thought that if one is humgry there is a place to get food. 95% of the beggars I see are male.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM

3,333 posts, read 7,791,411 times
Well, at least there's one innovative guy downtown. Apparently, he pilfered a hard hat, found a broken serpentine belt and stops folks saying "I need $11.99 for a new belt so I can go home!". I asked him what kind of vehicle it came from and he laughed and walked away.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston