U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM

87 posts, read 151,014 times

Advertisements

they are as far out as katy... I've been in my general area for about 20years and never seen them out here until that passed few years along with more of them popping up in more and more areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 22,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
How about the kids who stand at traffic lights or in front of stores and beg for money for "their football team". Really, were's your coach, were's your parents. When I played football we did fundraisers, sell mugs with team logos. Not standing on the street like a bum begging for money.
DO NOT GIVE THESE GUYS MONEY. I used to work at the copy center at Officemax on West Gray and these guys would come in every few days to buy a folder and ask me to laminate a new crappy sign for them. It was the same group of kids but every so often the school/sport would change. Sometimes they would bring an elementary age kid with them to get more sympathy donations. I used to feel bad for panhandlers but the longer I've lived inside the loop the more I'm starting to see that they're mostly a bunch of scamming scumbags.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,469,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydes View Post
The most annoying thing for me is I am a female and your a male. Sorry, but you have the nerve to stand at my window LATE at night when im driving home from WORK and ask me for money. LOL.
#1 your and man dont ask a female for money no matter what!!
#2 its late and very dangerous for me to even put myself in a situation of rolling down window and talking to you.
come on have some respect and common courtesy. Its always the same guy, same intersection same time everynite. SOOOO annoying. Oh yeah he smoking cigs and drinking a "beverage".LOL
Even the females are beginning to make a significant presence on the peddling circuit. I would dare say they probably have an edge over most of their male counterparts due to gender. One woman I saw at an intersection couldn't even collect all the money being handed to her by motorists before the light turned green.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM

835 posts, read 1,216,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
How about the church panhandlers. Seen them numerous times in Clear Lake... usually teams of four carrying coffee cans working all four directions of traffic at major intersections. No, I'm not going to give you money to build a 300 ft tall cross or buy your pastor another $1000 suit.
Somebody please educate me -- which organization is represented by the group of well-groomed young men in suits and bowties who are often at the intersection of Scott and OST?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Instead of people complaining about people "begging" for money, they should be more concerned with Wall Street thugs ripping all us off. Just saying.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I do have to wonder why do Houstonians always act as if this is the only city infested with bums. It could be much worse.
Exactly...these people would die in San Francisco.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM

173 posts, read 350,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Exactly...these people would die in San Francisco.
Im pretty sure we are all aware we aren't the only city with panhandlers. But we are not in San Fran,yes it may be worse there but we are in HOuston so we will complain about Houston issues.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,468,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I do have to wonder why do Houstonians always act as if this is the only city infested with bums. It could be much worse.
True. We could be in New Orleans. I bet I can tell you where you got them shoes..........

I do love that city though.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,908,522 times
Vancouver Canada has the most pleasant, relaxed, non confrontational pan handlers in the world. Perhaps it is all of Canada. Yes homeless population is large and visible (not so much as in parts of the US) but damn they are just so nice who cares.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM

173 posts, read 350,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Vancouver Canada has the most pleasant, relaxed, non confrontational pan handlers in the world. Perhaps it is all of Canada. Yes homeless population is large and visible (not so much as in parts of the US) but damn they are just so nice who cares.
I totally agree with you on this one. I have experienced the panhandlers in Vancouver as well as San Fran and ours seem more aggressive and actually angry at times when you wont "give" to them. Maybe its because i live here and vacay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston