U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 PM

172 posts, read 120,263 times
Default Beaches near Houston

A family member of mine is considering moving from NJ to Houston. I don't know much about Houston, but from what i understand, it is near the coast.

Are there any nice beaches in Galveston or anywhere else nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,589,845 times
Tell your friend to Google pictures of Galveston water.

Nuff said.

The Gulf around Galveston is nasty. Probably due to the ship channel. The Gulf near Florida is gorgeous. But Galveston is nasty.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM

1,852 posts, read 2,279,336 times
I actually don't mind Galveston and find it kind of fun. I think it gets a bad rap but you can't go expecting Florida, Hawaii or California beaches. If you do, you're bound to be disappointed.

The better Texas beaches are farther south like Port Aransas near Corpus Christi or South Padre. But that's some distance from Houston.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM

82 posts, read 86,967 times
yeah galveston sucks. Brown dirty looking water. I don't really know why. If its the ship channel pollution or the Mississippi river dumping off into it, i dont know. Could be both. That's how the whole coast line looks in the immediate houston area. It might look better further down the coast getting closer to mexico but i'm not sure as i havent been down that way.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Tell your friend to Google pictures of Galveston water.

Nuff said.

The Gulf around Galveston is nasty. Probably due to the ship channel. The Gulf near Florida is gorgeous. But Galveston is nasty.
It's mostly due to being near the Mississippi river delta and the silt it stirs up. Go down to Corpus/South Padre and you have much nicer water. Also the Gulf is a lot shallower around there than other parts of the Gulf. And a lot of rivers flow into the Gulf (Trinity, San Jacinto, etc) that churn up a bunch of mud and silt.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM

1,852 posts, read 2,279,336 times
I don't think it's all pollution. From what I understand, it was that way even before major industrialization, something to do with the rivers that flow into the Gulf, sediment, silt and the like.

But there are people who enjoy what the Galveston area has to offer as can be seen here:

Galveston Island State Park - Galveston, TX

But, yeah, Sydney it's not.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM

151 posts, read 193,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

The Gulf around Galveston is nasty. Probably due to the ship channel.
Galveston's water is brown because of the Mississippi river (thank you 1st grade geography). The beaches are as nice as they can be for being so close to the river.

*the nicest yet smallest beach is actually Sylvan Beach in La Porte, the water is typically green and decently clean even thought it is directly next to shipping lanes.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM

82 posts, read 86,967 times
I wish the folks down in galveston would get the island in shape. Some places have bounced back from the hurricane but I get a ghetto vibe from it now. The whole area feels unattractive to me now because of all the dumpy old homes and dated apartment buildings or hotels near the seawall. You have san louis resort and then it's surrounded by junk.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natefg2 View Post
I wish the folks down in galveston would get the island in shape. Some places have bounced back from the hurricane but I get a ghetto vibe from it now. The whole area feels unattractive to me now because of all the dumpy old homes and dated apartment buildings or hotels near the seawall. You have san louis resort and then it's surrounded by junk.
And I guess you have $$$ that they can borrow to help them beautify the area? The island too a huge hit with Ike, and many people just don't have the resources to rebuild.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 PM

172 posts, read 120,263 times
Thanks for the points everyone. I wouldn't expect the beaches in TX be be like Florida, Hawaii or California. It seems like they can be as nice as say the Carolinas or the Northeastern beaches like New Jersey or Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston