U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM

13 posts, read 19,042 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Florida, Delaware, and Texas, to name a few. I am severely allergic to dust, mites, some trees, pollens, etc. I can relate to your experience and have a few relevant points. First, any allergist will tell you that people's allergy sensitivities can vary widely over their lifetime. For example, my severe childhood allergy to ragweed no longer exists as I approach forty. Getting re-tested every five to seven years is important. Second, I have lived in many different regions, and everywhere I've lived, people say it's "the worst" for allergies. You can look up air quality and pollution for different cities; even city data has some basic info in their profiles. Also check out pollen.com for region specific info. A study was recently published by a health magazine (possibly even Health? Can't recall) that rated cities on their allergy problems based upon the number of prescriptions written and prevalence of allergy physicians. I think Knoxville was rated the worst. You can google some search terms and probably come up with that, I'm sorry I can't recall better details. Anyhow, if you're seriously concerned, I would get some recent testing done and then check the area you are considering for the presence of those agents. Know that dust and dust mites are everywhere, so you'll always have to be sure to use common preventions, i.e. wood floors, no curtains, dust covers on mattresses and pillows, filters on the air conditioner, etc. also, I was just re-tested and the allergist used the "central Texas panel." you may want to find out what's on that and get tested for those things! Best of luck....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,461,822 times
When I lived in Alvin, I knew my annual rite of torture come mid-April to mid-May was on when my Ranger was coated with yellow pollen.

Now, living in LaPorte and away from those trees, I'm relatively fine. Even working in a refinery like I have been since August or two months of this turnaround in Channelview.

Your problem will be really bad when the crap from the Rockies blows on down when it is warmish up north.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM

74 posts, read 105,009 times
I lived in DC for 5 years before moving back to Houston, so I know the transition. I had roughly the same problems in both places.

Both are humid, green places. Houston can be worse because we don't often get a hard freeze in the winter that kills things, but other than that, I don't see much difference. I have seasonal allergies in the spring and fall and deal with it by taking a lot of Zyrtec, and Zyrtec-D.

This year, I never got off the Zyrtec in the winter because our weather was so weird... to give you perspective, my FIL's orange tree bore fruit the first week of January, whereas normally that happens in September.

FWIW, there are a lot of great allergists here who could probably take your medical records and determine a course of treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or