U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM

32 posts, read 117,527 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Colorado to Houston and I'm looking for a safe neighborhood to rent a home in. I will be working at Ellington Field so I need to find a place within decent driving distance, preferably not much more than 30 min.

So far, I've narrowed down two rental home choices in Atascocita / Humble area. The first is a 90's home in the Atascocita Forest subdivision.

The second home I found is a newer home in the Eagle Springs subdivision. This home costs $300 more per month than the home in Atascocita Forest.

I need to know if one of these neighborhoods is safer than the other. I don't want to live in a ghetto neighborhood with unkept yards, trash blowing down the street, dark streets where the street lights at night either don't work or don't exist, etc.

I would love to save the extra money and go with the older home, but not if its going to be a trashy place to live, or risk my personal safety, or increase my chances of my car being broken into. The home in Eagle Springs looks great, but its also more expensive. Can anyone give me advice on these neighborhoods?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,435,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou17 View Post
I am moving from Colorado to Houston and I'm looking for a safe neighborhood to rent a home in. I will be working at Ellington Field so I need to find a place within decent driving distance, preferably not much more than 30 min.

So far, I've narrowed down two rental home choices in Atascocita / Humble area. The first is a 90's home in the Atascocita Forest subdivision.

The second home I found is a newer home in the Eagle Springs subdivision. This home costs $300 more per month than the home in Atascocita Forest.

I need to know if one of these neighborhoods is safer than the other. I don't want to live in a ghetto neighborhood with unkept yards, trash blowing down the street, dark streets where the street lights at night either don't work or don't exist, etc.

I would love to save the extra money and go with the older home, but not if its going to be a trashy place to live, or risk my personal safety, or increase my chances of my car being broken into. The home in Eagle Springs looks great, but its also more expensive. Can anyone give me advice on these neighborhoods?
Atascocita Forest is hardly "ghetto," but you will have a greater mix of variable quality properties...Eagle Springs is much newer and probably a higher income clientele overall. I have lived in Atascocita, but it has been a while, so hopefully others will chime in. Many would choose the particular neighborhood based on what schools you are zoned to - and so if you do not have kids, you may enjoy a less expensive rental. (Why pay a premium for the school zone if it doesn't matter to you...)

Having said all that, I'm not sure I would choose Atascocita for a rental if I were working in Ellington area. Maybe there is more to the story??

Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM

4,517 posts, read 11,316,715 times
Both those neighborhoods are safe. ES is a bit nicer than Atascocita Forest which shows in the higher payment.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM

2,263 posts, read 5,657,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Both those neighborhoods are safe. ES is a bit nicer than Atascocita Forest which shows in the higher payment.
I agree with Chris. I live in Eagle Springs. I love it here. But if it doesn't really matter about the schools, then I would probably go with the cheaper rent.

Having said that...why are you looking up this way for a rental? My husband works in a refinery on 225 close to 610. It takes him about 40 minutes to get home. So going even further south to Ellington Field will only add to that commute. He usually takes 610 around to Alt 90 and up to the beltway. You can take the Beltway around. That would be ~$164 worth of tolls each month (using EZ tag prices, more if you don't have an EZ tag).

Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I agree with Chris. I live in Eagle Springs. I love it here. But if it doesn't really matter about the schools, then I would probably go with the cheaper rent.

Having said that...why are you looking up this way for a rental? My husband works in a refinery on 225 close to 610. It takes him about 40 minutes to get home. So going even further south to Ellington Field will only add to that commute. He usually takes 610 around to Alt 90 and up to the beltway. You can take the Beltway around. That would be ~$164 worth of tolls each month (using EZ tag prices, more if you don't have an EZ tag).

I was hoping the drive from Atascocita to Ellington would be around 30 - 40 min. I was planning on taking Beltway 8. I heard from a coworker that if you are military, taking the toll roads in Houston is free as long as you go to a toll booth attendant. The reason I went with Atascocita is I figured that it would have a low crime rate and a decent commute time to Ellington if I take the beltway.

In addition I was hoping for a home in a forested area with pine trees. I was initially looking at the Sugar Land and Richmond / Rosenberg area, but Sugar Land was too expensive, it was hard to find anything decent under 1600 per month. My preferred maximum budget is 1500 for a 3br 2ba house.

I checked into Clear Lake and Friendswood but didn't come up with any decent homes for the price. I saw just a few in Pearland but I heard Pearland was becomming ghetto, or at least wasn't all that safe. I've heard the same about Missouri City as well. I did find a lot of homes in the Jersey Village and Cypress areas but was afraid of the commute time from those areas all the way to Ellington.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,478,268 times
Personally, I think it might be a mistake to move so far North. Friendswood, Clearlake, and Pearland East would all be better options. You have a great opportunity to move close to your job, something many people in Houston would like to do.

Pearland isn't becoming ghetto. But it's not a quiet little town anymore. The West side is full of traffic and and a lot of new retail. The East side closer to Friendswood is more calm. Friendswood is wooded, but older. It's an established area with good options.

Your drive from Atascocita might be closer to 40 minutes, not 30. Maybe even more.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, how long would a drive from Richmond or Rosenberg be to Ellington? Is this a nice area to live?

Same question for Cypress, how long would it take to get to Ellington?

Like I said, I've considered Friendswood and Clear Lake before, but haven't seen many listings below 1500. I have seen only a few in Webster and League City, but I don't know much about those areas.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,478,268 times
You're looking at about 1 hour for either place. Maybe more with traffic. I'm a Realtor, but I get nothing from recommending an area closer to you. I'd consider the areas within 5-10 miles from Ellington Field. Just make sure to look South of the Beltway within 1-5 miles on either side of 45. You have an opportunity to save a lot of time and headaches with Houston traffic. I'm not sure about the toll issue. But if that's the case, the lines can become long during traffic time. You are better off getting an EzTag and paying.

I'm thinking you want a a big new house for $1500, correct? Have you looked into Pasadena 77505? That might have some options. Webster and League City are both good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or