Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times

Advertisements

I have always gotten small patches of eczema, mostly on my hands when I wash them too often. But it's pretty easy to clear up if I'm faithful to keep my skin hydrated. Since I moved to Houston last June a tiny patch of eczema that had been on my lower legs (much smaller than a dime) has spread all over my legs up to my knees and I now have patches on my arms that is spreading all over. (I have been to the doctor to confirm that it is eczema and nto something new going on.) This has never happened to me before and I'm wondering if there is something climactic about Houston that makes it worse for some people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Perhaps it's because the oak trees are pollenating (early) right now?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Two in my family have eczema. Same thing happened to son and DH. Tiny, tiny and then it exploded all over their lower leg. Through the years they have figured out that it is a combination of something blowing in the wind, and a little bit of stress with the job. Keep track of what is in the air and maybe you can pin it down. Good luck. Jimmy Schmidt is a good Dr. if you need one.

Dogs get it, too.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,850 times
Hard water tends to dry my skin out. Since we got our water softener a few months ago I don't have the dry skin problems I used to. Do you have a water softener?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM

235 posts, read 803,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Hard water tends to dry my skin out. Since we got our water softener a few months ago I don't have the dry skin problems I used to. Do you have a water softener?
That's a good point. Houston does have very hard water. My brother has it and I don't think he has a water softener. I'll suggest it to him.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM

66 posts, read 117,771 times
I had eczema really bad for 15 yrs. dry skin, cracking skin...I got it all cleared up now by 1> avoiding triggers (for me it was wheat, especially those saltine crackers. your allergy may be different try a diary and see what causes flare ups) and 2> essential fatty acids (use flax seed oil every day a couple tablespoons, if I don't eat it after a while my eczema will return).

good luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM

We did put a filter on our shower head to get rid of the chlorine, but I don't know if that would do anything for hard water? I would think so since the hard water is just mineral deposits but I really don't know. I don't have a whole house water softener because we rented this year to get used to the area. I'm wondering if there is residue in my clean laundry from the water that may be affecting me.

I have had food allergy testing and know what my allergens are. Figured all that out years ago. I make almost everything from scratch so I know what's in my food. Fish oil and coconut oil definitely help but haven't cleared it up.

My two thoughts are that it is something in the water or something in the air. I have definitely had more wheezing since we've been here.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,436 times
Wow, that sounds a lot like what happened to me- only I went from no Eczema to my whole leg and lower arms and a spot on my face.

For me, I'm pretty sure it's a combo of allergies and stress. Hoping the stress is alleviated soon because the allergies are not going anywhere.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Juniper from Central and West Texas starts giving people fits in December some years. It may well be a contact allergy. Two doctors have told DH is it something blowing and stress. He got some really heavy duty steroid cream that he uses like hand lotion. No problems this year. His started when we moved to Dallas from St. Louis. It is not as bad in Houston.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Seoid, did you get eczema as soon as you moved to the area?

There has certainly been enough stress in my life since the move that at least some of it could be attributed to stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: