U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,705,574 times

Advertisements

This might help. It includes tips, advice, and the recipe.

Crawfish Boil, Louisiana Crawfish Boil, Crawfish Recipes, How To Cook Crawfish, Crawfish Boil Recipes, How To Eat or Suck Crawfish, Purging Crawfish, Purchasing Crawfish, Crawfish Boil History

Last edited by LilyLady; 02-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Sorry about the LONG link. All I did was type in the URL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM

25 posts, read 148,025 times
Thanks for the link Lily, I have actually tried this recipe and it might just be my preference but I found the cook time of 5 mins and soak time of 30 to be a bit much. crawfish tasted done well before that time, also the corn tasted a bit soggy.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
cla

898 posts, read 2,886,796 times
I prefer it when the potatoes are cooked separately. They absorb a lot of the seasoning, so can quickly become too salty for my tastes. In addition to adding lemons to the pot in the beginning, I like to squeeze in more lemons for the soak.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM

thanks for the tip about more lemons for the soak, ill try it.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM

7 posts, read 22,313 times
If anyone here enjoys eating crawfish from those vietnamese joints in the alief/chinatown area then you all know that the secret is in the butter sauce that they put in after the boil. The secret that I've learned (through trial, error, and observation) is to use a combination of margarine and chicken broth. A lot of people think it is just butter, but I actually brought some sauce home from the Boiling Crab and I noticed that the sauce never solidifies when you put it in the fridge. Knowing this, I've managed to create a sauce that is good enough so that I never have to pay $7-8/lb for crawfish again! For a decent 30lb boil I'll probably use 6 sticks of margarine and 1 can of chicken broth (yeah...heart attack) and simmer on low heat in a small pan. I'm not going to give away my recipe but I use a combination of Old Bay, lemon pepper, paprika, garlic, onions, cayenne, hot sauce, and possibly some other ingredients which I can't remember right now. But if you stick to those as the base you'll get a decent sauce. For the heat, you need an extremely spicy hot sauce (Daves Insanity Sauce). Also, remember that you need a TON of each ingredient... I'm talking tablespoons (plural) here! I use about 5 tablespoons of Old Bay and about half that much of everything else. Garlic and onion.... put in about a fistful. good luck guys.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Gary if you want authentic, spicy crawfish that comes out of the pot clean and peels easy write this down. I always boil by the sack so this is going to be based on a 45lb - 50lb sack of live crawfish.

You'll need a boiling pot with a strainer basket, drop the live crawfish into the basket and wash them really well with cold fresh water. Take the basket and put it in the boiling pot then add water to the pot and crawfish until it's right level with the top of the crawfish. Use a paddle to stir them up and clean them one last time in that water. Take the basket out and mark the level of the water. Dump it and refill to that mark with clean water.

Fire up the burner WFO with just the water in the pot. Bring the water to a roaring boil while adding the following items.

Throw in 2 round boxes of salt, 1/2 cup of powdered cayenne pepper and about 2.5 - 3 cups of Zatarains concentrated liquid crab boil from a gallon jug. The more liquid concentrate, the spicier they'll be when done.

On the side cut in half half 6 large onions and 6 large lemons, break up 2 or 3 large cloves or fresh garlic and put that along with a plastic net bag of new crop red potatoes and as much corn on the cob as you want.

Once the water is roaring and looks like red heaven drop the crawfish in. Bring the water back up to a boil ad throw in the onions, garlic, lemons, corn and potatoes. Throw the lid on the pot but pay attention, once it starts to boil again leg it go for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes shut off the fire and take the cover off of the pot.

As the crawfish soak they cool and contract which allows them to draw in the seasoning. If you want a really killer pot throw an entire bag of ice into the hot pot which will cause it to cool fast and they'll contract faster getting very spicy.

After 20 minutes of soaking start to taste a few to see if they need to soak longer. Once your lips are on fire they're ready, pour them out on a picnic table covered in newspaper and enjoy.

Adding stuff to crawfish after it boils is a very non-traditional way of doing things, just like sprinkling seasoning on the outside of the shells which never really make sense to me. If you like clean and easy to eat crawfish follow my method. If you want your hands and fingers burning covered in margarine/butter and seasoning for no reason do it some other way.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM
cla

898 posts, read 2,886,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5565 View Post
thanks for the tip about more lemons for the soak, ill try it.
I can't take credit for the idea - a friend who owned a popular crawfish catering company back home in nola showed me that tip. Several other "seasoned" boilers from back home do the same thing.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Thanks Backspace that is great!, I will give that a try. I just want to make sure though that if my pot is smaller (15lbs) I can still boil for 8 and soak for 20?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5565 View Post
Thanks Backspace that is great!, I will give that a try. I just want to make sure though that if my pot is smaller (15lbs) I can still boil for 8 and soak for 20?
Yes, your times shouldn't change based on the amount that you're boiling. I usually boil from 7 to 8 minutes, you'll start to see a few of them float which is a good sign they're done boiling. Once you start to see them sink again that's a good sign that they've soaked long enough but I always go by taste.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 7,792,768 times
Lots of good tips here. I recommend the following:

1. There can never be enough fresh garlic heads in there.
2. 10 - 12 bay leaves.
3. ALWAYS soak the mudbugs in iced water that has a ton of salt in it. They'll spit out the "mud" for ya if you do that.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston