Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times

Advertisements

Hey folks - I have a few areas in my lawn where a bit of our turf sunk in about 6 or so inches. That was about 5 months ago. I added some new soil and fertilizer to the affected areas but it appears that instead of grass, I'm growing some lush and healthy weeds. Ugh!

It's looking pretty bad, and I'm sure that I'll just have to suck it up and purchase a few yards of sod soon. My question is do any of you aerate your lawns? If so, what aerator do you recommend. I saw a few on Amazon that will get down deep into the soil and remove 4" plugs of dirt, but a few of the reviews state to avoid these tools as lawns that have a lot of clay soil are prone to damage such tools and can even have negative effects on the lawn. Living in Houston, most of the soil is compact clay and pretty tough to deal with...

With that said, I'd like to get my lawn healthier, greener and thicker (and fill in those nasty patches). Any suggestions would be fantastic!

PS - my grass is st Augustine and the size of my lawn is roughly 1500sq I'd say.

Would love this some day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
pic of what you have ?

Didn't you just have your sod done?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
One year my friend and his neighbors rented an aerator from Home Depot for the day. They all took a turn and pitched in less than $20. Good deal, and you don't have to store the thing either.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
pic of what you have ?

Didn't you just have your sod done?
Hehe, no, I wish my lawn was that lush though. Here are a couple shots from the front and back of the house.

They were taken in August, shortly after purchasing the home. The front looks about the same, no issues there. But the back has it pretty bad. The brown areas are still there, and the back near the tree has a 10x3 foot area that is now exposed soil where grass refuses to grow. I plan on buying sod to patch it up, but am hoping for some advice to prevent this from happening again.

I noticed that in our community, there is no top soil applied over the clay....all the homes simply have sod thrown on it. I've noticed this with the other new builds going on.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:02 PM

105 posts, read 168,802 times
Default Rent

rent from home depot or Aztec or and equipment rental place...

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM

Well no topsoil doesn't help. I know in my community they laid down some clean dirt over the land dirt. The front isn't too bad.

In the rear, i had to sod it myself. So i went to buy 2 yards of topsoil, laid it down. Then layed down some new sod. I've been watering it and so forth. So for the most part it all caught on, there are a few patches that for some reason didn't grow roots.

Right now grass is in the last stages of being dormant, so i would wait till that is over before you replace any grass. Unless it just looks comepletley dead, you can check the roots, if they are dry and brown, might be a good sign.

So if it's dead, lay top soil, replace it, water it well, wait 30 days and then start feeding it with fertilizer. Right now a 15-5-10 is good to lay down.

If it starts to wake up and you see it going green, then I would just follow this guy's schedule.
Randy Lemmon

If you want it too look like in that pic, some ironite and turf builder will be needed.

i'll try to snap some pics of mine.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Well no topsoil doesn't help. I know in my community they laid down some clean dirt over the land dirt. The front isn't too bad.

In the rear, i had to sod it myself. So i went to buy 2 yards of topsoil, laid it down. Then layed down some new sod. I've been watering it and so forth. So for the most part it all caught on, there are a few patches that for some reason didn't grow roots.

Right now grass is in the last stages of being dormant, so i would wait till that is over before you replace any grass. Unless it just looks comepletley dead, you can check the roots, if they are dry and brown, might be a good sign.

So if it's dead, lay top soil, replace it, water it well, wait 30 days and then start feeding it with fertilizer. Right now a 15-5-10 is good to lay down.

If it starts to wake up and you see it going green, then I would just follow this guy's schedule.
Randy Lemmon

If you want it too look like in that pic, some ironite and turf builder will be needed.

i'll try to snap some pics of mine.
Holy crapola! The information on his website is EXCELLENT! I've been searching all over Google for Houston based lawn/landscaping websites/forums, but almost everything is retail advertising for local businesses. Thanks a million!!

How the heck did you find this guy?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 AM

237 posts, read 648,145 times
If you follow the Fertilization Schedule from Randy Lemmon it will look much better.

I moved into a new home last August and have been using it for a bermuda yard. I've had San Augustine before and used it and my yard always looked awesome. It might look like a lot to do, but it really isn't. Right now my yard is the best looking in the neighborhood, and is already really green.

You can listen to Randy every weekend also on 740 KTRH in the mornings for his garden show.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Holy crapola! The information on his website is EXCELLENT! I've been searching all over Google for Houston based lawn/landscaping websites/forums, but almost everything is retail advertising for local businesses. Thanks a million!!

How the heck did you find this guy?
Some other houston forums, but it was a car forums. jUst happended someone posted a thread about lawns.

Houston Garden Center has a lot of the products needed.
Houston Garden Centers - Houston's Largest Selection of Plants, Trees, Shrubs, Bushes and Flowers

Chronicle has some coupons too for the store. I'm going this weekend to buy the weed prevention stuff and a few more things.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Some other houston forums, but it was a car forums. jUst happended someone posted a thread about lawns.

Houston Garden Center has a lot of the products needed.
Houston Garden Centers - Houston's Largest Selection of Plants, Trees, Shrubs, Bushes and Flowers

Chronicle has some coupons too for the store. I'm going this weekend to buy the weed prevention stuff and a few more things.
Awesome, thanks a lot a_guerrajr. I'll check it out next weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: