U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM

17 posts, read 40,758 times
Default Stair repair in Houston

Anyone have experience? We found the home we want to buy and upon inspection it was noted the stairs risers at 8", max allowed is 7-3/4. Also, the bannister does not reach the bottom.

On one hand, I like them how they are and repairing that seems like a HUGE mess. OTOH, I don't want to be stuck with an unsellable home or stuck with repair costs ourselves. Is repairing them even necessary?

Were asking the sellers for money for needed repairs (not many, very few) and stair companies that I am finding close at 5. Am I calling the right places or should I be calling builders?

Anyone who have had their stairs repaired in Houston area- I would love to hear how much it cost you and who you used! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,131,689 times
That's going to be an expensive issue. And most likely, the sellers won't even consider repairing it.

I would not worry about it. 99% of people won't mind it unless it's extremely uncomfortable to climb. Is it?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM

1,123 posts, read 1,659,412 times
Codes evolve over time. If the home is older, the stairs most likely complied with the applicable code when they were built. The variance you are talking about is 1/4" per riser. The home inspector will typically note items that are in non-compliance of the current building code, but, unless it will cause potential harm, or create inherent danger, the seller isn't required to modify.
The prospect of tearing out that entire stairway to modify riser height isn't probably a reasonable solution. The starter step will no longer be in the same place it is now, among other costly issues. I wouldn't worry about it. If it hadn't been noted by your inspector, you wouldn't have know the difference, right?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 40,758 times
No I would not have noticed, it's not hard to climb at all. I think were going to leave it! The home is only 8 years old, and it looks like the code is dated 1979. I was thinking thats kind of expensive for 1/4".... and the next inspector may not even notice.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 AM

8,310 posts, read 19,936,086 times
FWIW, the riser height in my parents' 1940's house is 9". I don't notice. They didn't notice that there was any deficiency when they bought the house until the inspector brought it up.

This is totally your call, but I seriously doubt that there is any justification for spending the kind of money you're talking about spending to bring your stair risers up (or down, rather) to code.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,651,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
FWIW, the riser height in my parents' 1940's house is 9". I don't notice. They didn't notice that there was any deficiency when they bought the house until the inspector brought it up.

This is totally your call, but I seriously doubt that there is any justification for spending the kind of money you're talking about spending to bring your stair risers up (or down, rather) to code.
I agree completely on it not being worth the $ to fix it. My home in 77079 was built in 1977 before Houston claimed the subdivision land as part of the city. The risers met code but the size of the platform for each stair was small since the stairs were in a half circle in the entry. The smaller than standard platform size for each step was a safety issue but not one we addressed we just disclosed it to the buyer and it was no issue with the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston