Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times

Advertisements

"The Jewish observance of the Sabbath comes from the book of Genesis."

"The TAPPS observance of inter-scholastic athletics championships comes from the book of TAPPS tells you when you will play."

They know going in that eventuality was there.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Wait a second. TAPPS is the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. This is the umbrella organization under which all private schools in Texas play sports. But they have made a rule that necessarily excludes all Jews from fully participating. The law is unjust. The legal system has been put into place so that when someone is unjustly wronged they have a way to settle the dispute. When someone lies and uses the legal system to get their way even when they haven't been wronged, it's immoral. There was nothing wrong with what this school did. They used to avenues legally available to them to challenge the rule of an organization that was unjust.

Let's think back a few years. Rosa Parks broke the law when she sat in the white section of the bus. The law was unjust. At that time there was no legal recourse with which she could dispute the law. So she made a quiet statement to try to challenge the unjust law. Now, thanks to Ms. Parks and many others likes her, we have the legal means to fight these types of things...and you say they are wrong to use them. Shame on you.
Shame on you for comparing Rosa Parks to a figgin' basketball game. That's disgusting.

Ronnie

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
The NCAA makes it so that BYU doesn't have to play any games (all sports) on Sunday even if they make it to the NCAA championships. So, they do it for Mormons, why not Jews?

Ronnie
I have no problem with them making accommodations for the Jews for the sabbath, BUT when the school joined the league they were told in advance that the playoff games would be on Friday and Saturaday and the jewish school still CHOOSED to join the league and therefoere abide by the rules. That would be like me joining the army, but when its time to go fight I say "oh my relgion says its wrong to kill so I should't have to go to war."

Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:
Shame on you for comparing Rosa Parks to a figgin' basketball game. That's disgusting.

Ronnie
Well, that's a logical progression for you. I did NOT compare Rosa Parks to a basketball game.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I have no problem with them making accommodations for the Jews for the sabbath, BUT when the school joined the league they were told in advance that the playoff games would be on Friday and Saturaday and the jewish school still CHOOSED to join the league and therefoere abide by the rules. That would be like me joining the army, but when its time to go fight I say "oh my relgion says its wrong to kill so I should't have to go to war."
There was no other league to join and the kids wanted to play.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
There was no other league to join and the kids wanted to play.
Tuff sh*t. They shouldn't have joined if they knew or thought it might interfer with their sabbath.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
First of all, the word is "chose," not "CHOOSED." It's amusing to read all the self-righteous bloviating from those who keep screaming about "the rules." Why is it funny? Because it tells me that they haven't actually read "the rules."

If they had, they would know that "the rules," also known as the by laws, clearly give the executive director of the league (TAPPS) the authority to change the date/time of a playoff game at his discretion, if there is a compelling reason to do so. Given the by laws forbid any game to be played on Sunday out of respect for the Christian Sabbath, a team wanting to honor the Jewish Sabbath certainly qualifies as a compelling reason.

Whether out of anti-Semitism or just plain old stubbornness, The director of TAPPS dug in his heels when he had multiple opportunities to do the right thing in full accordance with his own league's "rules." Instead he made an ass out of himself in front of literally the whole world since the controversy went viral.

The kids on this team are handling this with class and grace. Too bad the same can't be said for the TAPPS leadership and the d-bags hollering about the rules.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:

Ronnie
C'mon Ronnie, the comparison may not be on the same historical level, but it is neither shameful or disgusting. The analogy was not to some random game, but a specific situation in which the adherents of one religion are clearly (and I would argue unlawfully) being discriminated against.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
Quote:
so what you are saying is the Jewish schools should have then just been excluded from having any sports teams that may do something like compete... the rule was unfairly exclusive and just hadn't had to come into play before to get change

Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
so what you are saying is the Jewish schools should have then just been excluded from having any sports teams that may do something like compete... the rule was unfairly exclusive and just hadn't had to come into play before to get change
No, if Jewish schools feel they're "excluded" they can start their own league, just like the Christian schools did. But that would make too much sense right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: