Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 AM

443 posts, read 1,346,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post

Dairy down there is expensive (about $1 more per gallon of regular milk), but gas is much cheaper.
Is this cost of dairy really a big deal when contemplating a 2000 mile relocation?? I don't get it, I don't even know what the price of a gallon of milk is at my HEB, I just buy it. Or gas...even a 10-15cent/gallon variability amounts to around $1.80 extra per tank for most people...is that really a big deal if you are spending $60 on a tank??

The change in climate and lack of scenery is going to be your biggest shock coming from Seattle. If Seattle is a 95 in the scenery department...Houston is probably a 5. And, our "winters" can be nice for 2 or 3 months but it is warm to hot and humid here for about 8 solid months.

I love Houston for many reasons but I'd live in Seattle in a heartbeat if given the opportunity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Is this cost of dairy really a big deal when contemplating a 2000 mile relocation?? I don't get it, I don't even know what the price of a gallon of milk is at my HEB, I just buy it. Or gas...even a 10-15cent/gallon variability amounts to around $1.80 extra per tank for most people...is that really a big deal if you are spending $60 on a tank??

The change in climate and lack of scenery is going to be your biggest shock coming from Seattle. If Seattle is a 95 in the scenery department...Houston is probably a 5. And, our "winters" can be nice for 2 or 3 months but it is warm to hot and humid here for about 8 solid months.

I love Houston for many reasons but I'd live in Seattle in a heartbeat if given the opportunity!
LOL, I agree, the cost of dairy and gas are two minor things you will notice.

And I'll add that Seattle "summers" can be nice for 2-3 months but it is "cold, wet and dark" for about 8-9 solid months.

We moved to Houston almost 8 years ago after over a decade in Seattle. Both places are great/awful for different reasons. We prefer living in Houston at this point but still spend 4-6 weeks in Seattle per year. Eventually we will split our time between both places. DH was born and raised in the PNW and vows to never spend another winter there, while I was raised in TX/LA and have to get away for the summer, heh.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post

I certainly wouldn't base my move on the price of dairy...I'm just throwing that out there as to what I noticed when I moved.

Gas is more than $4.00 up here now. It's probably around $3.50 max in most places around Houston.

Like someone else has said, both places have their pros and cons.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
I certainly wouldn't base my move on the price of dairy...I'm just throwing that out there as to what I noticed when I moved.

Gas is more than $4.00 up here now. It's probably around $3.50 max in most places around Houston.

Like someone else has said, both places have their pros and cons.
Point to note on gasoline prices. Big variable in pricing is state gasoline tax. Tx is 20 cents per gallon while Washington state is 37.5 cents per gallon. So all things being equal fuel should cost you less due to taxes not to mention less transportation cost from refinery to station as many refineries are located near Houston.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM

26 posts, read 47,902 times
Hey, thanks everyone for their advice, I greatly appreciate it. I'm always open for extra info about Houston.

Last edited by Gregofcanada; 03-12-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Moving to Houston, you'll have to give up Seattle benefits like lots of great parks and scenic views, clean seafood, and clean air. You'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire (the hellish Houston heat and humidity, May-October). Prepare to stay indoors (trapped?) for much of the year.

Other than the sunnier skies in the south, I really wish I could be more positive. There's so much more quality of life in Seattle, even with the freeze and overcast skies. We're talking about two very different levels of quality, class, and standards between the two extremes / two towns. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get here. Good luck.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 03-13-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Sorry, but anyone who stays inside "much of the year" probably has no business living/staying in Texas. The temperatures get even hotter where I am (Austin area) and that doesn't stop people for the most part.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM

125 posts, read 198,448 times
Never have understood the constant talk of staying indoors in the summer.
I was outside all day, everyday as a kid during the summer. Yeah it's hot. Drink some water and cool down under a tree every 30 minutes and then go back to shooting hoops.

As recently as four years ago I was heavily into playing tennis. I would go out for three or four hours at a time in the afternoon right in the middle of July.
Just do whatever errands you need to do that day, head out around 3pm to do your outside activities and everything will be gravy.

People are way overblowing the effects of the heat.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Sorry, but anyone who stays inside "much of the year" probably has no business living/staying in Texas. The temperatures get even hotter where I am (Austin area) and that doesn't stop people for the most part.
You guys are both right to a degree. In Austin, there are places worth going to in the heat. In Houston, there really aren't many places worth going to that makes it worth putting up with the heat. Maybe going to Galveston for the day. We don't have a place to go tubing, a nice lake, outdoor festivals, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Moving to Houston, you'll have to give up Seattle benefits like lots of great parks and scenic views, clean seafood, and clean air. You'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire (the hellish Houston heat and humidity, May-October). Prepare to stay indoors (trapped?) for much of the year.

Other than the sunnier skies in the south, I really wish I could be more positive. There's so much more quality of life in Seattle, even with the freeze and overcast skies. We're talking about two very different levels of quality, class, and standards between the two extremes / two towns. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get here. Good luck.
With all due respect Sunderpig, I see from another of your posts that you will be visiting the PNW (Oregon) for the first time ever in the near future. How on earth can you possibly offer anything about what it is like to live in Seattle? You have a fantasy about how wonderful it is. It IS wonderful in some ways, but a real pain in others. Just like Houston.

By the way, I love Hood River. Enjoy your trip. It may be chillier than you anticipate for March, and even so is usually warmer (but windier) than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston