Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM

35 posts, read 131,753 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiancé are relocating to Houston from St. Augustine Florida, talk about a shock! I grew up in Dallas most of my life(don't hold it against me) but she is a small town girl and is in for a big change. I am having a difficult time deciding where to live, I'm a field rep so I commute at odd times and to different areas (mainly south & west) and she is in education so we have no clue where she will go to work.

We are early 30's with two dogs and plan to start a family soon. I've looked at Sugarland, Katy, Atascosita/Humble, Tomball and even looked in Richmond area.

I personally like Atascosita but it seems so far away, I go to Katy & Pearland on a regular basis, what's that commute like? Any chance she could find a job in that area?

Our budget is $275-325K. We originally would like to rent but it's hard to find decent homes to rent without paying sooooo much.Any advice or recommendations on areas, neighborhoods, builders, etc. would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:13 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
We have grass here from St. Augustine.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
We have grass here from St. Augustine.
LOL, give the guy a break.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Hour plus commute each way, better off to look at the west side.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
If you commute to the south and west, then you should live in the south and west. That is the #1 Houston rule. Sure Atascosita is nice, but it makes no sense with your commute. I would look at places like:

Katy: Cinco Ranch, Katy Creek Ranch, Silver Ranch, Pine Mill Ranch, Cardiff Ranch
Richmond: Fieldstone, Long Meadow Farms, Pecan Grove, Rivers Edge
Sugar Land: First Colony, New Territory (not sure if you were looking at used homes too??)
Pearland: Not a huge fan, but if you are...Shadow Creek Ranch.

Of course there are a ton of other neighborhoods in these towns to look at, these are a few to check out on HAR.com

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,018 times
Rent is high here on a home because property taxes are so high. Make sure to keep that in mind when buying. You can see property taxes approaching 4% in some neighborhoods. I would suggest Katy, Richmond for you. Parts of Richmond you can still get that small town feel for living in a big city. Sugarland is nice but very ethnically diverse and has more of the big town feel.

West Houston is growing rapid and new schools are opening that need teachers if that is the education jobs you are looking for. Big change from your small town but at least you are used to humidity already. LOL

Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Richmond would be comfortable for her - keep you in the SW - and give her the opportunity to go with Katy, Fort Bend or Lamar schools.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Westbury/Maplewood South (77096, 77035 in a HAR search) are neighborhoods on the SW side of town, but still in Houston. More central than some of the other places you're looking at, which might help with commutes. A nice thing about these neighborhoods is that they have a real small-town feel to them. It's common, for example, in our little league to have third generation kids. It's like a small town within the city, in which people grow up, raise kids, and the kids actually come back and raise their own kids here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston