U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM

224 posts, read 290,538 times

Advertisements

I been thinking what if Houston proposed a entertainment district north of the city centered around main street (an expansion of course)/close to downtown.

Houston is too big and too sprawl for any visitors/tourist (wishful thinking) to actually enjoy it. They can experience one thing but miss out on something better. Then you have negative attitude about Houston being too boring or big from outsiders.

I think if we created a district a mile or so north of downtown, then we can see some changes in the negative aspect. Houston should create the ultimate entertainment district with probably a open door mall, a movie complex, some apartments make it more dense, tons of restaurants, eateries, bars, galleries, clubs , that cater to all residents. Have a theme for the area and so on. (for example the magnificent mile or the Vegas strip) Furthermore That also can gentrify the northern area of the city as well. I think it would be great for residents and visitors.

Houston need to move away from that business stance downtown towards a entertainment sector. Its too many people moving inside the city for them to still have this attitude. I know they are trying to make it such but The Houston pavilions was a fail in my opinion. Also that way people can really experience Houston, riding down main street from the entertainment district towards the museums and zoo will be an experience. or take memorial drive to our "beloved" uptown district.

What do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
I think Houston should concentrate on making its residents happy and not no darn tourists. Houston is not a tourists spot so it would be better to spend the money creating entertainment spots geared towards residents instead of tourists

also those big planned things more often than not swallow a lot of money and end up being flops. These things are more fun when they develop on their own instead of being forced.

I am not one of those who cry that Houston isn't like this city or that city. If I wanted this city or that City I would take that City or this city.

I am content with the city as it is, and I like the improvements it makes for residents, and I like the way it is heading. But all this Las Vegas stuff and disney world stuff is too much. I already LOVE leaving in Houston

Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 AM

385 posts, read 814,704 times
If a tourist had any sense, they would realize that Houston has more to offer that any other city in the USA. The Screw Shop on Cullen and the Refinery Row down 225 is more impressive that anything you will find in the rest of the lame a@# USA. Show me better monuments to capitalism anywhere.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
I agree...our version of Times Square.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 AM

868 posts, read 1,356,786 times
The only thing that we need to boost tourism is Earthquest. This theme park alone would have had people coming here to visit.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM

982 posts, read 1,038,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think Houston should concentrate on making its residents happy and not no darn tourists. Houston is not a tourists spot so it would be better to spend the money creating entertainment spots geared towards residents instead of tourists

also those big planned things more often than not swallow a lot of money and end up being flops. These things are more fun when they develop on their own instead of being forced.

I am not one of those who cry that Houston isn't like this city or that city. If I wanted this city or that City I would take that City or this city.

I am content with the city as it is, and I like the improvements it makes for residents, and I like the way it is heading. But all this Las Vegas stuff and disney world stuff is too much. I already LOVE leaving in Houston
This mindset is pretty common among alot of Houstonians. My question is, why can't the city do BOTH? Why can't the city provide a vibrant,fully functional urban experience for its residents AND tourists? Personally, I think establishing an Entertainment District is a great idea. First impressions go a long way and thats part of the reason why the rest of the nation considers Houston a dump or a total bore when thats actually not the case.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM

8,626 posts, read 16,248,131 times
Seems to not matter - all entertainment districts built in Houston have gone south at some point and everyone moves to the new hot spot. In the 70's - the Glenmont area was hot with nightclubs being in the clubhouses of the glut of apartments and scattered throughout the Westheimer area between the Galleria and Gessner, then in the 80's the Richmond strip was the place, then that declined and people moved to the Shepherd/Richmond area (that was the shortest lived hot area I can remember), then for a short time, near super bowl time - downtown was up and coming with lots of cool clubs, then off to Midtown and now Washington Avenue and once that gets old - everyone moves on to the next new hot spot. Not sure a downtown entertainment spot would last for the long haul. Houstonians are fickle in their entertainment. Houstonians tend to be very selective in their nightlife and different income brackets just don't mix well when it comes to their nightlife - as soon as the suburbanites start driving in - the trendy people find a new place to go and a new entertainment district is created.

The Kemah boardwalk is an entertainment area that is making it because it appeals to tourists and for Houstonians from opposites sides of town who think driving to Kemah is doing something touristy for them. And it centers around everyone's favorite activity - food - not so much nightlife, although there are a few bars there that seem to appeal to locals who walk there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or