U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Rocky Mountain Xplorer
956 posts, read 1,248,340 times
Reputation: 684

Advertisements

Greater Houston, which in 2011 secured 195 corporate facility expansion projects, is increasing the size of its metropolitan economy at a rate that leads every other metro area on the continent, according to a new study from the Brookings Institution.

As a result, it’s no surprise that Houston won Site Selection Magazine’s ranking as the No. 1 Large Metro in the U.S. for 2011. America’s fourth-largest city easily beat out second-place Chicago, which garnered 167 facility deals last year.
Top Metros Of 2011: The Fast Track To No. 1: A rapidly expanding economy propels Houston to the top spot among the nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Southeast TX
868 posts, read 1,357,083 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Greater Houston, which in 2011 secured 195 corporate facility expansion projects, is increasing the size of its metropolitan economy at a rate that leads every other metro area on the continent, according to a new study from the Brookings Institution.

As a result, it’s no surprise that Houston won Site Selection Magazine’s ranking as the No. 1 Large Metro in the U.S. for 2011. America’s fourth-largest city easily beat out second-place Chicago, which garnered 167 facility deals last year.
Top Metros Of 2011: The Fast Track To No. 1: A rapidly expanding economy propels Houston to the top spot among the nation
This is great for the metro. I'm just dying to see how Houston will like in the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM
 
Location: plano
5,955 posts, read 7,498,055 times
Reputation: 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
This is great for the metro. I'm just dying to see how Houston will like in the next 20 years.
Very nice article about Houston and the future. The capable workforce comments were clear about why jobs move to Houston and why qualified workers move there as well. Jobs jobs jobs, also loved the diversity point. Go Houston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,577,064 times
Reputation: 3350
I think 3 million new people for Houston over the next 30 years is conservative considering that Texas is predicted to double in size within that same timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 AM
 
563 posts, read 752,223 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I think 3 million new people for Houston over the next 30 years is conservative considering that Texas is predicted to double in size within that same timeframe.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
This is great for the metro. I'm just dying to see how Houston will like in the next 20 years.
This city is going to be something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,577,064 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Agreed.



This city is going to be something else.
Sounds like yall are about to experience an LA style of boom.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 03-03-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,272 posts, read 7,202,860 times
Reputation: 2039
It's nice to hear that Houston is making so much progress.

Dallas-FW isn't to far behind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Houston area
1,408 posts, read 3,478,873 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Sounds like yall are about to experience an LA tyle of boom.
As long as we don't have the LA style bubble!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,452,539 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It's nice to hear that Houston is making so much progress.

Dallas-FW isn't to far behind
Dallas is behind by 30%, according to the article. Let's not discuss Dallas int his Houston thread though. Houston is clearly the beast city in Texas and this decade is going to truly be Houston's launch into world class status. The city is adding so many parks (those bayou plans especially), improving transit, and going through other beautification projects. Greater Houston was the fastest growing area in America last decade and has continued to be that this decade. It's about time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,272 posts, read 7,202,860 times
Reputation: 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Dallas is behind by 30%, according to the article. Let's not discuss Dallas int his Houston thread though. Houston is clearly the beast city in Texas and this decade is going to truly be Houston's launch into world class status. The city is adding so many parks (those bayou plans especially), improving transit, and going through other beautification projects. Greater Houston was the fastest growing area in America last decade and has continued to be that this decade. It's about time.
I'm sincerely happy for Houston. I hope growth continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top