Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 45,588 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have since decided to join after frequenting the site for quite some time. I joined because, for the most part, the few posts that I have read have provided me with some insight. But, I'm in need of additional assistance.

I decided in January that I was ready for a change of scenery. I have been living in Georgia for almost 22 years and have lived in the city of Atlanta for 12 years. Having visited many cities, I still was not sure where I wanted to land next. I have sort of a fixed personality (in some regards), so I was considering a place that would be a little more long-term. I decided on Houston, after much talk and consideration.

Here's where I need help:

I have hooked up with a property manager in HOU, who has graciously provided me with daily listings of rental properties. I believe I have a good idea of where I want to live, but if there's anyone here (who is not benefitting from me monetarily), who can provide insight on a few places, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please let me know the pros and cons of:
- Montrose, East End, Galleria, Medical Center and Museum District
- My monthly rent for a 2+ bed/ba is $1,800. I ideally, would like a bungalow styled home, as this is what I'm accustomed to in Atlanta. However, I have not found many in the property listings provided to me.

Another catch for me is finding employment. I am a Master's-level Mental Health Counselor, who is working towards full licensure. I currently have a full-time job, which is not transferrable out of the state of GA. In addition, I work as a contractor (part-time), that I am able to keep after I move, along with the ability to increase hours. I do, however, want to find a Therapist position quickly after moving - so time doesn't lapse with accrued licensure hours. The concern here is...where are good places to work for a Mental Health Counselor? I know that Houston has a pretty prominent healthcare industry and I have perused some opportunities. But what are some pretty reputable organization? My key population is child/adolescent mental health. I do work with substance abuse and integrated care. I am not bi-lingual, though I am in the process of learning Spanish.

Any help would be appreciated! I know, I am pretty lengthy. I have been swimming in my thoughts lately... Ask any questions that would help out! Btw, I'm soon to be 31 and single.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM

29 posts, read 65,473 times
I am on the same boat as you. I am a nurse moving from Chicago. It seem so hard to make the first move. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 AM

391 posts, read 922,670 times
If you are looking for anything in the medical/health industry in Houston, you are in luck! The medical/health industry in Houston is extremely hot. Houston has the largest medical center in the world and employees over 50,000 people.

As far as pros and cons of the areas you listed here it is:

Montrose:
Pros: Lots of unique restuarants, some bungalow style homes, extremely diverse, in the center of just about everything.
Cons: Big area for bars, weekends can be very busy in this area especially at night.

East End:
Pros: One of the newest up-and-coming areas of Houston, easy access to downtown, quiet, mainly multi-story townhomes in this area, close to BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park, light rail line about to open in this area.
Cons: This is the old industrial area of the city so old factories are being torn down to put up new modern homes, construction, abandoned factories, not very close to grocery stores.

Galleria:
Pros: Lots of things to keep you entertained in the area, close to major freeways, Galleria Mall, townhomes, apartments, condos are extremely popular.
Cons: Won't find bungalow style homes around this area. Traffic tends to be bad especially at rush hour and weekends.

Medical Center:
Pros: Close to where you would potentially work, close to Hermann Park, Zoo, Museum District, easy access to TX-288, good access to light rail.
Cons: Traffic isn't so great, parking can be a challenge, won't find bungalow style homes.

Museum District:
Pros: Close to the Medical Center, Montrose and Midtown. Housing can be a little pricy in this area, but you may be able to find some bungalow style homes in this area. Lots of unique restuarants, access to light rail line.
Cons: Housing costs.

If you are set on bungalow style homes, I would highly recommend The Heights and northern Montrose area. The Heights has a very good selection of bungalow style homes, but is just a little futher away from the Medical Center, but not too bad at all.

All areas you have selected are all inside the loop. If you live inside the loop, you are within very close proximity to downtown and just about all the major attractions and things to do in Houston.

Hope this helps you! Welcome to Houston!! =)

Old 04-18-2012, 04:42 PM

312 posts, read 797,503 times
What area of Atlanta do you live in? I lived in Midtown/South Buckhead from '96-01 (just missed out on the latest gentrification around W Peachtree/Georgia Tech, which I understand is awesome... that area was sketchy in the late 90s). I have been here almost 2 years but live outside the 610 Loop, 10 miles west of downtown, as I'm an apartment dweller and the rental rates are cheaper the farther from downtown you go.

The neighborhoods you mentioned in Houston have their equivalents in Midtown Atlanta, and parts of Decatur and maybe Little Five Points and/or "East Atlanta". Montrose is the main center of LGBT activities in Houston. Houston's Galleria, one of the nation's premier upscale malls (most of the major high-end stores are there) is in Uptown and close to River Oaks (huge homes, old money); think Lenox Square Mall, North Buckhead.

Rice University, similar in feel and reputation to a school like Emory, is close to Texas Medical Center, and the neighborhoods to the west of all that (Rice Village, West University Place or "West U" and Bellaire being the main ones) might be worth a fast glance, although they are a little pricey - they will remind you maybe of Druid Hills. Also may want to check out Meyerland, which is SW of the Medical Center, but that neighborhood was developed mostly after the 1950s, so no bungalows. The older areas of Houston that have 1920's-30's style bungalows are either in the "hood" or gentrifying areas inside the Loop.

Houston was a relatively small town (by today's standards) until the 1950s, so at least half the single family housing stock in the city (that's not crazy upscale) is postwar ranch "modern" Brady Bunch-style and newer.

Last edited by micmac99; 04-18-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
If you are looking for anything in the medical/health industry in Houston, you are in luck! The medical/health industry in Houston is extremely hot. Houston has the largest medical center in the world and employees over 50,000 people.

As far as pros and cons of the areas you listed here it is:

Montrose:
Pros: Lots of unique restuarants, some bungalow style homes, extremely diverse, in the center of just about everything.
Cons: Big area for bars, weekends can be very busy in this area especially at night.

East End:
Pros: One of the newest up-and-coming areas of Houston, easy access to downtown, quiet, mainly multi-story townhomes in this area, close to BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park, light rail line about to open in this area.
Cons: This is the old industrial area of the city so old factories are being torn down to put up new modern homes, construction, abandoned factories, not very close to grocery stores.

Galleria:
Pros: Lots of things to keep you entertained in the area, close to major freeways, Galleria Mall, townhomes, apartments, condos are extremely popular.
Cons: Won't find bungalow style homes around this area. Traffic tends to be bad especially at rush hour and weekends.

Medical Center:
Pros: Close to where you would potentially work, close to Hermann Park, Zoo, Museum District, easy access to TX-288, good access to light rail.
Cons: Traffic isn't so great, parking can be a challenge, won't find bungalow style homes.

Museum District:
Pros: Close to the Medical Center, Montrose and Midtown. Housing can be a little pricy in this area, but you may be able to find some bungalow style homes in this area. Lots of unique restuarants, access to light rail line.
Cons: Housing costs.

If you are set on bungalow style homes, I would highly recommend The Heights and northern Montrose area. The Heights has a very good selection of bungalow style homes, but is just a little futher away from the Medical Center, but not too bad at all.

All areas you have selected are all inside the loop. If you live inside the loop, you are within very close proximity to downtown and just about all the major attractions and things to do in Houston.

Hope this helps you! Welcome to Houston!! =)

This cat is pretty much on the money with this info. Since your handle is BohemianMe I assume much like myself you are into the bohemian lifestyle. Montrose and the Heights are the only 2 areas in Houston that are gonna give you even a little bit of that lifestyle.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
What area of Atlanta do you live in? I lived in Midtown/South Buckhead from '96-01 (just missed out on the latest gentrification around W Peachtree/Georgia Tech, which I understand is awesome... that area was sketchy in the late 90s). I have been here almost 2 years but live outside the 610 Loop, 10 miles west of downtown, as I'm an apartment dweller and the rental rates are cheaper the farther from downtown you go.

The neighborhoods you mentioned in Houston have their equivalents in Midtown Atlanta, and parts of Decatur and maybe Little Five Points and/or "East Atlanta". Montrose is the main center of LGBT activities in Houston. Houston's Galleria, one of the nation's premier upscale malls (most of the major high-end stores are there) is in Uptown and close to River Oaks (huge homes, old money); think Lenox Square Mall, North Buckhead.

Rice University, similar in feel and reputation to a school like Emory, is close to Texas Medical Center, and the neighborhoods to the west of all that (Rice Village, West University Place or "West U" and Bellaire being the main ones) might be worth a fast glance, although they are a little pricey - they will remind you maybe of Druid Hills. Also may want to check out Meyerland, which is SW of the Medical Center, but that neighborhood was developed mostly after the 1950s, so no bungalows. The older areas of Houston that have 1920's-30's style bungalows are either in the "hood" or gentrifying areas inside the Loop.

Houston was a relatively small town (by today's standards) until the 1950s, so at least half the single family housing stock in the city (that's not crazy upscale) is postwar ranch "modern" Brady Bunch-style and newer.
I have family in Atlanta, so I've been there numerous times, you nailed it as far as comparing the similar neighborhoods in both cities. For somebody who has only been here two years you've been doing your home work I see.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM

312 posts, read 797,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I have family in Atlanta, so I've been there numerous times, you nailed it as far as comparing the similar neighborhoods in both cities. For somebody who has only been here two years you've been doing your home work I see.
Thanks very much for that, and I just thought of Atlanta's Morningside and Ansley Park districts as a good comparison to West U/Bellaire.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Oooh, I am shocked to see your replies, as I posted so long ago! THANK YOU to everyone who replied, especially MikeyAusmus. The time you took is very much appreciated. I was feeling a little nervous today (out of no where), but all of your posts have re-ignited my excitement!

@micmac99, I live off of Highland and Freedom Parkway. I walk my dog through Little 5 Points often (to give you a better idea of my proximity).

Thanks for the well wishes! I am excited about my next phase in life!!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
We moved the other way......Houston to Atlanta.....back in the day. I hate Houston for many reasons, but can't deny it's the place to be in terms of jobs and affordable housing. They have some awesome sports/concert facilities there, too, and if you love heat and humidity (WAY worse than ATL) then you're definitely heading in the right direction.

Aside from those things, I would stay in Atlanta, but for someone looking for a change on the cheap, Texas is hard to beat. The problem is that once you move, you actually have to LIVE there!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks Northerner, how are you enjoying Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: