U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 36,847 times

Advertisements

Anyone from the Midwest (MN) and can share some advice on moving to Houston? I'm early 20's female and need to get out of the cold. I have no kids, but I do have a dog. There are good and bad things about everywhere, the reasons I have been considering Houston are because it's warm, has lower cost of living and is a large metro area. I am also considering the Carolinas and certain parts of Southern Cali. Can anyone shed some light on the following? Please forgive me if I base everything I know about Texas on stereotypes and the media...

-Is it really as conservative as people say? I'm definitely not one to get caught up in politics, but I would like to live with people who are laid back, accepting and generally peaceful. I don't push my views on others so I'd like the similar respects (as I'm sure most people would) I'd like to consider myself "Minnesota Nice" and I'm hoping the general culture/mindset in TX is similar.

-I'm in automotive sales, therefore need a good suburb or neighborhood that's in close proximity to many dealerships! Is there a particular area or stretch of road that's dominated by dealerships?

-What is public transportation like? Could I realistically ditch my car and use a subway or transit system to get to my job/mall/entertainment/grocery?

-I don't have kids, so being close to good schools is not a concern, however my general safety is.... I'm looking for a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom condo or townhouse or apartment to rent that is near dealerships and major amenities and not in the ghetto for no more than $1200 month.

-For the people who have lived in MN and then TX, are the salaries and job pay pretty equal? Or would you say you took a salary cut since cost of living is cheaper in TX? I currently make $35-40k a year in my sales position. Is that a realistic salary for auto sales in TX?

Please share any and all info Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM

543 posts, read 1,170,044 times
I'm from Roseville, MN and currently in Clear Lake TX. I moved here last year because I was so sick of the cold weather. I love the weather here in relative comparison to the cold in MN.

- I'm not at all into politics and I haven't been bothered by anybody in that regard. The peole that I work with here are really nice people and very social although I found that they might be a bit more formal than people that I've worked with in MN. I make friends here easily.
- I think it will be very difficult to get rid of car.
- The cost of living is not cheap as many people think. I think it's about the same as in MN once you've factored in the high tax, high insurance, HOA, etc... In addition, in Houston don't have nice things that we take for granted in such as beautiful parks, elaborate playgrounds, free tennis courts every where (well not exactly everywhere but I hope you get my point).
- Salary: When I got my job offered, my company offered me a slightly lower salary than I was making. They told me that the cost of living is about 20% lower than MN so I would be better off.
I was in a hurry to get out as it was freezing cold so I just accepted the offer without verify. I was wrong. It's not really cheaper. I should have asked for a equal pay. Houston is very large so you have to specific compare area to specific area. Look at Har.com to get an idea of what it would cost you to rent/buy.
- Houston is huge so you have to really zoom in your search.
- I don't know anything about car dealership so I can't help you with that.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,216,534 times
There's several car dealerships on I 45 south of The Woodlands.

The woodlands would be a nice place to live.

You need a car here.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,495,565 times
There are a number of car dealerships on I10 west near the energy corridor. You can live in the Katy area and have a decent commute. On a map, the dealerships run from around Kirkwood on I10 West to the town of Katy on I10 near Katy Mills Mall. This is a good area to live too, good schools wth housing perhaps less expensive than the Woodlands.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,430,083 times
All the freeways in the city and all the developed suburbs are littered with all types of car dealerships. The streets have some also, mostly used car lots in the city of Houston. Not nearly as many on the streets in the suburbs.

And ditto on "keep your car."

Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 AM

430 posts, read 1,051,453 times
I'll second what Johnhw2 wrote -- I-10W all the way out to Katy is full of car dealerships. You might want to concentrate your search in this area, at least initially. Public transportation isn't great, so don't count on getting rid of your car. As for politics, Texas is a conservative state, but Houston itself is pretty liberal. You'll find extremists on both ends of the political spectrum, just as you would in any large city in America.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,269,926 times
Keri - Houston might have a reputation as "lower cost of living", but that's often hyped up as the image to be promoted. There are hidden costs too (high property taxes, high medical costs, etc.) You mentioned wanting a "large metro area", but there is such thing as too large of a metro area, and I'd say that Houston is exactly that. You'll notice it in a very big way if you're from a smaller and more laid-back area.

As far as all the conservative stuff, there are lots of noisy / negative / argumentative people around in this big city, no matter what their views are (and their views cover the entire spectrum). The rural Texas crowd will be more generally difficult than the MN crowd, but how much more so are the urban / big city TX folk. Though there are nice people here, it'll be much harder to find the down-to-earth types that you'd find in MN. I'm familiar with the midwest, and the mood and atmosphere down here is nothing like in that part of the country.

Public transportation mostly does not exist, but where it does, you probably wouldn't want to risk using it.

Though you could get away from cold, be careful of the "out of the frying pan - into the fire" situation. Summers here are usually 70s in the morning, to 90s in the day, with lots of humidity. It's horrible in my opinion, even after decades of living here. It's currently very nice, but when May kicks in... yuck.

You really should pay a visit first to see what it is first-hand. A big move like that is way too important to just go by opinions on a website. There are things that can only be experienced personally. When it comes to Houston, people either like it or they don't. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground. A lot of folks on this site seem to be part of the high-praise crowd, so just be careful. Good luck!

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 03-05-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 AM

I've actually met a handful of people from the upper midwest. Regarding 3 months of dangerous heat vs 3 months of sub-freezing temps, each one of them said the cold was much worse to deal with. But yeah the heat is pretty bad and gets downright oppressive at times, coming from someone who grew up in it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,269,926 times
It's more than 3 months of heat though. It's more like 6 months. There's not a whole lot of difference between May and October, even if there is some temporary relief in the fringe months.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
It's more than 3 months of heat though. It's more like 6 months. There's not a whole lot of difference between May and October, even if there is some temporary relief in the fringe months.
Agreed. What I meant to say was out of that long stretch of heat, 3 months can be dangerous (deadly for some). And while MN probably has more like 6 months of cold, I understand 3 months of that it never gets above 32. Just the thought of that is downright depressing to me. I'm sure colds and flus there are pretty brutal, too. At least nothing really goes around in the heat, aside from mold allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or