Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 24,710 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are contemplating moving to the Houston area and have located homes in the Klein ISD that we like.

I do have a son who would be in Kindergarten who has mild sensory processing disorder with hyperactivity and a daughter who is about to turn 2 who has a preliminary diagnosis of mild PDD. The neurologist would not commit to a diagnosis of autism yet, so I'm not sure what exactly what services she would qualify for. I am certain she needs speech (she is still preverbal) and the neurologist also recommended OT and a teacher (although the EI program here said she wasn't qualified for that as she wasn't delayed "enough").

Anyone with experience with the Klein ISD? I know they are highly rated for neurotypical kids, but I'm wondering about mine.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 10:10 PM

179 posts, read 858,136 times
Autism can't be Rxed until 5/6 typically. Why do you think she's autistic? ECI is generally good with kids with autism.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 PM

69 posts, read 406,824 times
Hi,
Take a look at the thread below. One mother reports that Klein, Houston, Spring, and Cy-Fair and the worst school districts for autism services (according to the child's therapist). Spring Branch ISD and Katy are supposed to be good.

It is frustrating to fall in love with a neighborhood only to find out that the school district can't meet your child's needs. I'm still trying to find out more information on Conroe and Fort Bend ISD where we are looking for homes.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22bless View Post
Autism can't be Rxed until 5/6 typically. Why do you think she's autistic? ECI is generally good with kids with autism.
Actually, according to recent research, some kids may be able to be diagnosed as early as 14 months now (see the article at the National Institutes of Health Learning to Diagnose Autism Spectrum Disorders—NIH Research Matters, July 16, 2007). Early intervention is imperative and certainly 5/6 would be rather old according to most people I've talked to.

At any rate, and without getting into too many details, she has many of the "red flags" so to speak.

How are EI services in the Houston area?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meletonmc View Post
Hi,
Take a look at the thread below. One mother reports that Klein, Houston, Spring, and Cy-Fair and the worst school districts for autism services (according to the child's therapist). Spring Branch ISD and Katy are supposed to be good.

It is frustrating to fall in love with a neighborhood only to find out that the school district can't meet your child's needs. I'm still trying to find out more information on Conroe and Fort Bend ISD where we are looking for homes.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I saw that one, but I also know from experience that therapists are just as likely to have errant opinions as any one else! Perhaps one bad experience? Anyway, I'm hoping to hear from someone with a special needs kid who is actually in the school district, or was in the school district. I'd hate to go on 3rd party, unverified information, ykwim?

Yes, trying to find the best place to raise a special needs kid isn't easy. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Oh no, that's no longer the case at all. Children are being diagnosed as young as 18 months now. My daughter was diagnosed just this month, formally, and she's 2 years and 2 months.

As for KISD: It is no good for children with autism. They have very little of their big budget going to special education programs. This is very well-known among the parents in the Texas Autism Advocacy group. We changed our minds about moving to Champion Forest after I had an exchange with both the head of the PPCD department and the director of Special Education. Not real happy with my experience with either.

I am the mom that posted the thread about the various school districts. What our developmental pediatrician said only confirmed what I have heard among many parents: stay away from Klein if your child has autism.

I'm far from being an expert--I just report what I hear. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, not a flake, and a mom that sincerely wants the very BEST that I can afford for my daughter's needs.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 PM

44 posts, read 270,035 times
Our family may be moving to the area and we are also concerned about autism programs. I have had some people (with advocacy groups and support groups) that've been nice enough to email me back with information. I'd be happy to forward these to you if it would help in your search. We do not live there (yet) but this may be the next best thing. Let me know if you want me to PM you. good luck, Carol

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Autism can be diagnosed much earlier than 5. Asperger syndrome is often diagnosed after 5 or 6, but my dgs was diagnosed with classic autism at 18 months of age and there is no question of his diagnosis. The research shows that about half of all autism cases can be diagnosed at 12 to 18 months if you know what to look for.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBeckaboo View Post
Hi, we are contemplating moving to the Houston area and have located homes in the Klein ISD that we like.

I do have a son who would be in Kindergarten who has mild sensory processing disorder with hyperactivity and a daughter who is about to turn 2 who has a preliminary diagnosis of mild PDD. The neurologist would not commit to a diagnosis of autism yet, so I'm not sure what exactly what services she would qualify for. I am certain she needs speech (she is still preverbal) and the neurologist also recommended OT and a teacher (although the EI program here said she wasn't qualified for that as she wasn't delayed "enough").

Anyone with experience with the Klein ISD? I know they are highly rated for neurotypical kids, but I'm wondering about mine.

Thanks!

I don't have any expertise on Klein, but you should join the Houston Autism Meetup group and post to our bulletin board.

The Houston Autism Meetup Group (Houston, TX) - Meetup.com

Dorothy

Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,163 times
Default Autism meetups in Clear Creek area?

Thanks for the suggestion, Dorothy. I'm currently waiting for my email verification to look around in that room. In the meantime, I wondered if there was a specific group that met related to Clear Creek area or if that was covered by Houston area? I heard the Clear Creek School District was very good for autistic children and wanted to get more info from parental sources. Any other ideas on who to contact for 'real' data about Clear Creek School district? What about family2family? Know anything about that org?
Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston