Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD23x View Post
I grew up in a smaller town in Florida. When I first moved here, I figured a 10 mile drive to work wouldn't be that bad.

In my opinion, it really affects one's quality of life, however, ask someone who has lived here forever, and it's just another fact of life.
Now is the city's fault that you chose to live in a place that take you 1/2 hour to drive 5 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM

13 posts, read 20,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Now is the city's fault that you chose to live in a place that take you 1/2 hour to drive 5 miles?
um, is logic foreign to you?

Yes, I chose to live here, however, it is the nature of the city that takes me a half an hour to drive 5 miles. My choice of living here and the long commute times are mutually exclusive, I was simply asking a question as to whether or not it bothers other transplants as much as it bothers me.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
??

I've lived in two different areas, how do you know what side of town I live on?
you mention westpark and sam houston as your commute. not hard to tell what side of town you live or work on

i work in the med center, live like 6 miles away and get there 10-15 minutes. i decided to live in this area because i knew it was nice and an easy commute

Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,147 times
The commute in my area is not that bad comparing to your area. However, it still bothers me a lot. Even during the weekend, you can easily get stuck in traffic. Because of the crazy commute, I decided to live VERY close to work. I only live about 1 mile to work. The place that I live is selected because I can get to work without any traffic. I have to sacrifies a lot of other things such as price and forgetting about new home.

I agree. It does affect my quality of life in some way b/c I try to avoid to be on the streets unless I have to. Forget about going to the malls and events, etc... I try to avoid as much as I can. It's just very stressful to be on the street. When we go out, my husband drives. I don't even want to be behind the wheel except for going to work.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
I'm originally from a small town. Everyone there had a 30-60min commute...in MILES!

Rare was the one who had a job in the same small town. And even if you were lucky enough to live/work in the same little town, you drove many, many miles trying to get to dr appointments, shopping, entertainment.

As teens, a group of friends decided we wanted to go out for pizza. Pizza was 50mi away. Yup 100mi round trip to go out for pizza.

Just saying small town life can lead to many miles on the road too...

Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
I grew up in a smaller town in Florida. When I first moved here, I figured a 10 mile drive to work wouldn't be that bad.

I was incorrect, consistently took 1 hr.+ to get to work.

I moved close to work, less than 5 miles.

Still takes 30 minutes to get to work, sometimes up to 45 to get home.

In my opinion, it really affects one's quality of life, however, ask someone who has lived here forever, and it's just another fact of life.
If your employer will let you adjust your start/end times by an hour either way - you can shorten your commute time significantly.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM

13 posts, read 20,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
If your employer will let you adjust your start/end times by an hour either way - you can shorten your commute time significantly.
That's something I should look into. Sometimes, even leaving 20 minutes earlier makes all the difference in the world.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
At the same time, let this be a cautionary tale for all the newcomers who insist on one particular suburb, never minding that the job is on the other side of town. (ie I *must* move to Sugar Land. It is the one and only and best place to be. But my job is in Greenspoint. The commute won't be bad, I SWEAR!)

Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
That's something I should look into. Sometimes, even leaving 20 minutes earlier makes all the difference in the world.
I have a 20 miles drive coming in on Gulf Freeway to downtown and it takes me about 35 minutes from garage to garage but that is leaving home at around 6.30 a.m. May be a bit early for some, but I adjusted my hours that way to shorten my commute.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Yes, I suppose the point of my thread was to find people who moved to Houston from a smaller area, and were overwhelmed by the commute times in Houston.
Smaller area would be the suburb of Houston. Less traffic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston