Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM

538 posts, read 1,354,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I absolutely suggest going to the design center outside of your appt times. You will not get any help from the sales people as they are always with appointments. But it will give you time to really look around, think about color combinations. My husband and I went there several times before our initial appt and it helped out a lot. We went in with an idea of what we wanted already instead of feeling like we had a few hours to choose all of our stuff right.then. And actually we totally changed our minds about a few things along the way.

Document.document.document. Keep your own spreadsheet of everything you want and changes you make to the house. I cannot stress this enough. THis is YOUR house. That YOU will be living in. Make sure it's done right. Good luck to you in your process.
I second this. I went a couple of times too, before my appointment.

Also, bring a camera with you and take photos of your stuff, along with names of what the color selection it is. I used those photos like you wouldn't believe, while my house was being built. I still use them, almost a year later.

I also haunted the model homes in the communities near me. I lived in Spring at the time, and went all the way out to Cinco Ranch. It's easier to see items in use. The design center can tell you what was used, if you find something you like.

I'm not familiar with your floorplan, but they build a very solid house. It took about four months for mine to be built, but 1) we had absolutely no rain during my construction phase, and 2) my lot already had been surveyed for a potential inventory home, so both cut down on the projected build time, by about 4 - 6 weeks.

Have fun building! Take lots of photos! And remember to take photos of the house while it's being built, so you'll know where pipes, electrical wires, studs, etc. are. We did, and my hard drive crashed last week, and I lost all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,100,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
I second this. I went a couple of times too, before my appointment.

Also, bring a camera with you and take photos of your stuff, along with names of what the color selection it is. I used those photos like you wouldn't believe, while my house was being built. I still use them, almost a year later.

I also haunted the model homes in the communities near me. I lived in Spring at the time, and went all the way out to Cinco Ranch. It's easier to see items in use. The design center can tell you what was used, if you find something you like.

I'm not familiar with your floorplan, but they build a very solid house. It took about four months for mine to be built, but 1) we had absolutely no rain during my construction phase, and 2) my lot already had been surveyed for a potential inventory home, so both cut down on the projected build time, by about 4 - 6 weeks.

Have fun building! Take lots of photos! And remember to take photos of the house while it's being built, so you'll know where pipes, electrical wires, studs, etc. are. We did, and my hard drive crashed last week, and I lost all of them.
YESYESYES!! I totally forgot to mention photos! Another absolute MUST! We took pictures of everything we picked in the design center along with the names/item numbers. And not only did we take pictures of our framing as it went up, we took video of it as well and talked on camera about various parts of the house. This came in very handy later when we wanted to put something on the wall, or run a cable and know where the double blocks were, etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
YESYESYES!! I totally forgot to mention photos! Another absolute MUST! We took pictures of everything we picked in the design center along with the names/item numbers. And not only did we take pictures of our framing as it went up, we took video of it as well and talked on camera about various parts of the house. This came in very handy later when we wanted to put something on the wall, or run a cable and know where the double blocks were, etc.
My computer is with the Geek Squad right now. I'll cry if they can't retrieve those photos. It's the first house my husband and I built together, and I really want them.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM

127 posts, read 399,050 times
Those are good advice. I did the design center already and did do some of the advice given. Although I went to the design center before my second appointment, the only problem was there are no pricing on some stuff. My design consultant told me she was going to send us the pricing for the option we chose so far before we head out to the second appointment and she didn't! Of course I couldn't get hold of her both over the phone and email. That was the only main thing that pissed me off about the design center. I just think they could have better consultants. I do think they design center is real nice though.

HoustonBornRaised,

I hope you be able to access your photos...I would cry too. I have taken picture of it, but it seems like not enough :P

That is a great idea and I will do that also when we reach to the electrical and gas installation for the house. We just been taking pictures to make a scrapebook of what is going on so far. We documented the dates and printed out some of the emails communicated between us and Ryland's team.

lhafer,

the video part is an interesting idea. I will do that also, seems like fun.

You know I do have to say though, the house seems smaller during the slab work and some earlier framing.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,100,123 times
Yes, it always looks smaller during that phase! Don't worry - it will come together and look like a nice big house in a bit.

Another thing I would do closer to your close date is set up for painters to come in on day of close or the next day. (If you want to put some color in your house anyway). We did this and had the kitchen, dining room, my daughter's room, and the media room painted. No furniture was in the way, and they did it really fast and it was done. No hassle.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 AM

We still haven't painted and it's been almost a year. I'm kicking myself for not having it done before we moved in.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

127 posts, read 399,050 times
Yeah talk about it...painting....

I planning to paint the bedroom myself to cut some cost, but am I up to it? "chuckles" probable not! I think for the main body of the house, I'm probable most likely going to hire someone although I have no clue what color yet. I'll will most likely have them paint the kitchen too.

We still haven't decided if we are going to do it before moving in or after. I know I know, it's best to do it before hand, but how can you resist not moving in right away!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM

51 posts, read 236,270 times
we bought a perry and we like it. my friend has a ryland, and their home is nice too. it all depends on your preference.

we thought our perry was very well built, had a great contactor/PM, and all perry homes i think now come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, instead of the standard 1 year, which is great.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilagri View Post
we bought a perry and we like it. my friend has a ryland, and their home is nice too. it all depends on your preference.

we thought our perry was very well built, had a great contactor/PM, and all perry homes i think now come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, instead of the standard 1 year, which is great.
Perry's have improved greatly in the last 5 os so years. I chose a Ryland base on the poor cabinet quality in the Perry. When I purchased 7 years ago Perry would build cabinets onsite from poor quality materiels and it was not uncommon to see cabinet doors falling off in the models. We recently shopped and purchased a new Ryland Rhapsody that is currently being built. The good news is the new Perrys had modern cabinets, but I could never get past the doors falling off in the past.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM

43 posts, read 152,203 times
Yes, the newer Perry homes have waaaay better cabinets nowadays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston