Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times

Advertisements

Gas prices might affect renters more, since they have more flexibility to pick up and move. I don't see homeowner's packing up and moving solely for gas prices. It might be "one more thing" on a list of other issues, like growing weary of the commute, and/or wanting to downsize, etc., that might push some people to make a change that they were already contemplating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Gas prices might affect renters more, since they have more flexibility to pick up and move. I don't see homeowner's packing up and moving solely for gas prices. It might be "one more thing" on a list of other issues, like growing weary of the commute, and/or wanting to downsize, etc., that might push some people to make a change that they were already contemplating.
That doesn't make sense.
It affects homeowners more because they can't move as easily.
I've even had 2 people tell me that the last few days.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I agree. It is way too cheap and yet everyone complains so much about it. I mean come on, gasoline is about the cheapest liquid you can buy in the U.S. I wish gas prices were around $40-60 per gallon. At least something so valuable as gasoline should cost as much as a starbucks coffee.

If you are paying, you can call whatever shots you wish to...but, since I don't consider a Starbucks product very valuable (not a coffee drinker), I'll take my gasoline on the cheaper side.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I agree. It is way too cheap and yet everyone complains so much about it. I mean come on, gasoline is about the cheapest liquid you can buy in the U.S. I wish gas prices were around $40-60 per gallon. At least something so valuable as gasoline should cost as much as a starbucks coffee.
In Venezuela you can buy a gallon of gasoline for about $0.25
and keep in mind, a McDonalds meal over there costs the same as here in dollars.

The price is of gas is NEVER going to be too high in the US.
Because that would make all Americans to be in favor of building lightrail transportation and that's something that a lot of powerful people don't want (mainly airlines and the oil companies)

Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
Gas prices should drop soon due to lack of demand in driving. I can see it dropping to $2.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM

I think oil companies play fear-politics with the price of gas.
Unless somebody can explain me why the price of gas dropped from $4.05 in July, 2008 to $1.59 in Dec. 2008.
And I don't buy the story about "The global economy crashing" because people don't stop buying gasoline just because the economy is bad.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,477 times
Really??? Are you kidding me with these comments??? These comments remind me of the kid who holds his hands over his ears and chants so he can't hear bad news.

Oil is a limited resource and it is no longer a debate (much like global warming) that we have hit peak. India and China have arrived late to the party but they want the same kind of lifestyle Americans have so they are demanding more and more oil. Prices are artificially low. S**t will hit the fan and guess what? All you ostriches who bury your heads in the sand are in for a rude awakening.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Really??? Are you kidding me with these comments??? These comments remind me of the kid who holds his hands over his ears and chants so he can't hear bad news.

Oil is a limited resource and it is no longer a debate (much like global warming) that we have hit peak. India and China have arrived late to the party but they want the same kind of lifestyle Americans have so they are demanding more and more oil. Prices are artificially low. S**t will hit the fan and guess what? All you ostriches who bury your heads in the sand are in for a rude awakening.
Are you sure that we are the ostriches?
Have you ever heard of "increase in oil reserves"???

Iraq's oil reserves increase by 25% to 143.1 billion barrels | Mail Online - Oct. 2010

Ecopetrol increases oil reserves by 27% - Colombia news | Colombia Reports - March, 2012

Venezuela Officially Has More Oil Than Saudi Arabia - Business Insider - Jul, 2011 (40% increase)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Now we're going to a green/drill debate. There a $hitloads of reserves to last way beyond our lifetimes. Problem is, the majors have picked off all the low-hanging fruit in these producing basins and Obama in his infinite wisdom is prohibiting the smaller independents from producing the tougher "tight sands" zones with anti-frac/water flood legislation. And don't retort with pollution of water tables either. Hollow arguement.

Setting the Record Straight on U.S. Oil Reserves

Ronnie

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
I will stay out of this but I own a lot of O&G stock and my entire family works for O&G. We're happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston