Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I agree. It is way too cheap and yet everyone complains so much about it. I mean come on, gasoline is about the cheapest liquid you can buy in the U.S. I wish gas prices were around $40-60 per gallon. At least something so valuable as gasoline should cost as much as a starbucks coffee.
Well, it should be somewhat more expensive to the extent any additional taxes are generated to do some actual good (e.g., improve/ develop infrastructure). Moreover, to the extent viable transportation alternatives can be developed higher prices might have the effect of diverting people to use rail, etc. It works in Europe and ultimately could work here. Realistically, $9.00 per gallon would be a reasonable price if viable transportation alternatives are available. I just don't see that happening in the next 20 years. Sadly, by that time it probably won't matter anyway since the resource behind the fuel is in serious, irreversible decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeb View Post
The stations I pass in Sugar Land were $3.83 this morning. Near the Galleria, regular is already $4.00 at a few stations.
OK! That's higher than what we have here by like $.10-$.20.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I just don't see that happening in the next 20 years. Sadly, by that time it probably won't matter anyway since the resource behind the fuel is in serious, irreversible decline.
We are in such a serious decline that natural gas prices have crashed due to a glut of supply on the market.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
We are in such a serious decline that natural gas prices have crashed due to a glut of supply on the market.
And, how many hundreds of billions would it cost to replace the infrastructure necessary to bring that natural gas to market so that it can be used in all automobiles? And, how much quicker do you think the also very finite resource of natural gas would be depleted if it was used for essentially everything. Come on, I'm in the industry and it's pretty clear we've got another 20 years max before all the low hanging fruit is gone-forever.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
The higher the price of oil/gas, the more money I make.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Hence the definition of "peak"

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
For the average person on C-D, it probably makes little difference. But for the average American, the extra $60-$100 more a month really makes a difference. The average American probably makes between $40k-$45k a year. With a family of 3-5 people, expenses add up fast.
I earn a comfortable living and the more people drive/spend on fuel the better the living my household makes (although with associated feelings of guilt).

Despite this I wouldn't want to add into my budget an extra $100 for something that previously only cost $40 or whatever. Hell I buy the salad from the salad bar for my lunch out during the week over sushi because it saves me $3 and i get excited about the idea of an extra $12 at the end of the month. That's me and probably what 99% of us should be doing

Most people in Houston don't have the capability or money to get up and move closer into the city or closer to work. But, like someone already posted new home buyers seem to be looking more and more into this which then would affect resale values for homes way out there. I think it would be prudent of most people if they are getting to the point of looking at homes to gear themselves towards existing homes within the city or where they work. I know I won't always work in the same location and I bought within 6 miles of my office. I also bought in an area where I am under 10 miles from the vast majority of offices I would probably work in if i changed jobs/careers. I am also close to reasonable highways, tolls, routes for other areas that are heavy in industry that aren't all that far to get to either. Works out easily because there are so many already built homes here!

Blows my mind to talk to friends and all they ever seem to talk about is how miserable it is having to get to work at 6am to avoid an hour and a half commute. NOW all I hear about is the horrible commute and how gas prices are "ruining" things. I want to say "I could have told you..."

In 2008 we all had this same conversation and people buckled down. Then gas prices dropped and people went all willy nilly again. Now prices are up and they totter around confused thinking the sky is falling. This kind of thing I believe is unique to the US

Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,237 times
Gas prices will go down soon like in 2008. It went from $4 to $1.50.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Gas prices will go down soon like in 2008. It went from $4 to $1.50.
I'll take that bet. The only way that will happen is if everyone wakes up to the fact that the basics of the global economy remain in the tank.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Hence the definition of "peak"
How can it be a "peak" when is still going up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston