Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM

14 posts, read 20,724 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to The Woodlands and have found a serious lack of small, family owned restaurants. It seems as though all there is here are the chains...either Landry's or Pappas owned. I would think a supposedly upscale community would offer more unique, family owned restaurants. I'm craving some good Italian or fresh seafood. Sure, I hear there are lots of great restaurants in "the city", but who wants to drive an hour just for dinner? For a town with such a diverse population the restaurants doesn't seem to reflect it. Where are the good Italian restaurants? Seafood? BBQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl98 View Post
I recently moved to The Woodlands and have found a serious lack of small, family owned restaurants. It seems as though all there is here are the chains...either Landry's or Pappas owned. I would think a supposedly upscale community would offer more unique, family owned restaurants. I'm craving some good Italian or fresh seafood. Sure, I hear there are lots of great restaurants in "the city", but who wants to drive an hour just for dinner? For a town with such a diverse population the restaurants doesn't seem to reflect it. Where are the good Italian restaurants? Seafood? BBQ?
since when is woodlands a town?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM

town, township, community...what's the difference?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM

538 posts, read 1,361,914 times
Quote:
town, township, community...what's the difference?
None.

For the life of me, I can't remember the name, but on the other side of I45 from the Woodlands, there is a pretty good Italian restaurant. It's in the same strip center as the Office Depot, I believe. If not right by that, then it's close.

I know that all sounds vague. If the name comes to me, I'll post it. I've eaten there a couple of times and it was pretty good.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
You live way out in the suburbs, what do you expect? You want good non-chain restaurants, you have to drive into the city. And I'm pretty sure all suburbs across the country are full of chain restaurants. So it's not just Houston.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM

HoustonBornNRaised,thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You live way out in the suburbs, what do you expect? You want good non-chain restaurants, you have to drive into the city. And I'm pretty sure all suburbs across the country are full of chain restaurants. So it's not just Houston.

Ummm....no, that's not the case in all suburbs. I've lived in several cities where the suburbs had some wonderful small, family-owned restaurants. The owners were actively involved in their communities, supported the schools, little league, etc. Sure there were the occasional chain, but we had more variety with the smaller restaurants. I have friends/neighbors who have lived in other areas of the country and they, too, tend to say this area is unique by NOT having the small mom and pop restaurants.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Y'all make it sound like The Woodlands is some backwoods hillbilly town, of about 200 houses.

Just because it isn't in Houston, doesn't mean it can't be family-owned and good.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Ummm....no, that's not the case in all suburbs. I've lived in several cities where the suburbs had some wonderful small, family-owned restaurants. The owners were actively involved in their communities, supported the schools, little league, etc. Sure there were the occasional chain, but we had more variety with the smaller restaurants. I have friends/neighbors who have lived in other areas of the country and they, too, tend to say this area is unique by NOT having the small mom and pop restaurants.
They're out there.

My brain is shot right now, but there was a write-up about a Tomball restaurant run by a man who won one of those cooking shows on Food Network. I believe his mother runs the place. It's off of Main Street (2920). Of course, I can't remember its name.

So even hicksville Tomball can get a good, family-owned restaurant.

ETA: I believe the place has since been reopened by his mother. I believe that's what the article was about. I could be mistaken though. This is the place:

http://eatmehouston.com/2011/08/07/bootsies-cafe.aspx

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
For the life of me, I can't remember the name, but on the other side of I45 from the Woodlands, there is a pretty good Italian restaurant. It's in the same strip center as the Office Depot, I believe. If not right by that, then it's close.
Pallotta's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston