Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Years ago, one of the residents of the area learned the state was going to put in the divider. She decided concrete medians would be a weed patch. She learned from TxDoT and others in the county what needed to happen.
She then made it happen. We have landscaped medians from I 45 to Hwy 249. It took 3 years of her life. I'm talking all day, every day. All subdivisions fronting 1960 had to agree to pay for the maintenance and water. She made that happen, too.
Then she raised the money. Barbara Schlattmann gave a lot to this community. I appreciate her every time I drive 1960. The landscaping already provides a focal point to detract from those ugly signs. It will be great when the trees are bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM

191 posts, read 535,842 times
I live close to this area. There were serveral accidents in this area most of them from people coming out of grocery store and try to get on the opposite side of the traffic.. horrible..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Well, count me as one of the "haters".... I had no problem with the open center lanes, and as I LIVE on Hwy 6... turning left now is an absolute nightmare. The subdivision above me lost its access and has to drive south to "our" opening to make a U turn...then people coming from the south pull into the left turn lane facing the people from the north who want to make a U (still with me?) or a left into my property... it's an absolute disaster.

I thought all the work was related to the new Skeeters stadium and traffic flow -- I don't even want to think about 5000 cars there for a game or concert event.

And final rant... on Hwy 6 around W. Airport and going toward W. Bellfort the lane markings are EXTREMELY confusing, and I can't believe there isn't a serious accident daily as people run out of a lane! Also true for part of the same area driving south...and I have no clue what is going on in the medians in that section! Big equipment has been there for eons inside the concrete buffers and I don't see what the ultimate plan is -- and the first Skeeters game is about 5 weeks away....

Any insights appreciated. And yes, I am considering moving!!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 AM

19 posts, read 89,341 times
Definitely safer, seemed like a weekend didn't go by without an ill-advised left turn wreck somewhere on HI6 in Sugar Land/Mo City before they made medians. I have stopped going to some establishments though because it's too much of a pain to get to them now.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Safety may be just a perception. Until I see some real numbers I will have hard time believing that.
As for stop going to various establishments, is very true, some of them did run out of business and I do know one of the owners who went belly up.
I did stop going to several places myself since I just don't want to put up with driving around like an idiot to get to those places. Screw that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sje2081 View Post
Definitely safer, seemed like a weekend didn't go by without an ill-advised left turn wreck somewhere on HI6 in Sugar Land/Mo City before they made medians. I have stopped going to some establishments though because it's too much of a pain to get to them now.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Years ago, one of the residents of the area learned the state was going to put in the divider. She decided concrete medians would be a weed patch. She learned from TxDoT and others in the county what needed to happen.
She then made it happen. We have landscaped medians from I 45 to Hwy 249. It took 3 years of her life. I'm talking all day, every day. All subdivisions fronting 1960 had to agree to pay for the maintenance and water. She made that happen, too.
Then she raised the money. Barbara Schlattmann gave a lot to this community. I appreciate her every time I drive 1960. The landscaping already provides a focal point to detract from those ugly signs. It will be great when the trees are bigger.
I drive 1960 all the time and I think the landscaped medians are very nice.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,461 times
I use 6 almost every day and have seen my share of butt-clenching close calls involving those do-what-ya-feel-like center lanes. So I can deal with a tiny additional amount of drive time compared to repeating those experiences.

Also, I'm not sure if this applies to the Hwy. 6 situation, but on a thread over on the Austin forum about traffic issues there, a couple transplants to Texas were describing how the freeways in their states had much fewer on-ramps, which had the very noticeable effect of keeping the freeways moving much more smoothly and quickly. So maybe not having that center lane on Hwy. 6 will have some of the same effect i.e. much fewer people slowing down - sometimes slowing VERY quickly - in the left most lane (to prepare to move into the center lane) and in turn causing a chain reaction for the cars behind him, causing an overall slowing effect on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston