Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Texas: Austin, telecommunications degrees, transplant, cost of living, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 13,932 times

Advertisements

Ok, back to your question sir.
I have lived in Southern CA (Palos Verdes) and Austin and currently live in Houston so I feel perfectly qualified to answer your question. Plus I am an immigrant from UK (no more history please!)

Summary is that CA is hands down the best place to live depending on three things:
* You do not intend to buy property in the next year or two
* Kids are pre school age or attending private school
* Your commute is manageable
Cost of living is cheaper in Houston (and Austin) but the climate and lack of things to do (c.f. beaches, mountains, parks in CA) make the quality of life less. Texas allows you to save more money though as life is cheaper (e.g. Cracklin Oat Bran is $4.95 in CA vs. $3.29 in Houston - kids favorite cereal so I remember it! Plus gas is 60c more in CA)
That said, we moved to Palos Verdes as it is reputed to be THE best school district in Southern California (elementary school age kids). We found the schools were unacceptable and wanted to go with a good state rather then private as we believe it better equips you for real life plus read too many news articles of drug problems in private schools. In Houston, pick the school and not the school district. I recommend you use GreatSchools.net as a guide. We are delighted with our school and our plan is to stay in Texas until all the kids finish elementary then move back to CA. We also cashed out on two house sales in CA at the right time and are looking to reenter the CA housing market when we feel it has bottomed (perhaps after an earthquake - please do not post that this is heartless, it is called capitalism!)

Career wise, CA is way way better. I earned 60% more there then in Houston as a mid / executive level manager. In your field (telecom) the CA technology would make you sharper and better trained. Also, Austin is way better then Houston for telecom as Houston is largely oil industry offshoots. Austin has several good telecom firms like Broadwing. Home prices are more expensive in Austin then Houston though especially if you go for a popular and prettier area like Loop 360 or 'Silicon Hills' as it used to be called. Austin schools are not as good as the best Houston schools if you compare the best elementary schools head to head (based on test scores)

Bottom line, my advice would be that you stay in CA unless you have a compelling reason to leave (e.g. want to enjoy liberal gun laws CA. You have already missed the train to cash out on home values anyway.

Good luck - it is an important decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Danoman's informative feedback is rare on these boards, its priceless for anyone coming from a great state and moving to a questionable one. Like I said in the beginning, be ready to give up a lot of the things youre comfortable with and love. You'll need to readjust your definition of Quality of Life to being a Good Provider(sacrifice and sweet lemon the rest of your life)

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 09-14-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston