Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Texas: Austin, telecommunications degrees, transplant, cost of living, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 15,778 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and me are thinking about relocating to Texas. We prefer Austin, but we are not sure about it. Maybe San Antonio, Houston..

I have a bachelor degree in telecommunications (from another country - Spain). In usa I think is BD in electrical engineering and I have computing skills (programmer, help desk).
My wife has banking skills. She is working like a sales and service associate or banker.
Please we need some help about the city, what is better for these jobs. about the weather,neighboorhood...Somebody told us is much better SA but we want more information.
We don't know if we can get a job in Texas since California. Any help.

Please thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM

88 posts, read 301,103 times
I cannot tell you how much you would like Houston compared to Austin or San Antonio, but I can generalize things for you to make things easier.

First off, Texas is more like Spain than California is, which you might like. California is only like Spain around its southern and eastern coastlines, but the mainland is much like Texas, hot, similar in humidity, arid in some areas, and lush in others. Also, Texas, Spain, and Mexico share a much longer and intertwined history with one another more so than any other state besides New Mexico.

I don't want to go into detail on where I have lived because it would take too long to recount, but I can summarize that Houston is like all of the cities in Texas rolled into one city. It truly has everything they have and then plenty that they do not, straight up. If you have specifics you can't live with or without in terms of topography and weather you need to list them. Houston has plenty of jobs in just about every field imaginable and plenty of nice schools and neighborhoods. What are you specifically looking for in life in a big city? Ball's in your court. Come to Houston. Cheers!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
I think Mexico is one of the countries Spain bastardized. and made catholic. 'intertwined' ey

anyway, Houston is your better bet for career and a little bit of modern living. I work for JPMorgan and we just hired fresh grad level folks and they now have the opportunity to support a global energy and commodities trading system and the NYC trading desks. they know zilch. if you chose the info technology side the BD details doesnt really matter (i'm BSECE). some oracle in 21days, chapter 1 & 2 of Options and futures for dummies will get you in

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 09-11-2007 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: ek

Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM

"I think Mexico is one of the countries Spain bastardized. and made catholic. 'intertwined' ey" - Everything else was perfectly fine, but this was not (flipacas is Spanish and this statement sounds insulting towards Spaniards).

Wysiwig, be very careful talking history shop. Intertwined? Are you kidding? Absolutely. Spain 'bastardized' Mexico?! Whoa, time for a history lesson my son. You need to resource: Bartoleme de las Casas' A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies, the 9th edition of Texas: The Lone Star State, Randolph Campbell's Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State, James Crisp's Sleuthing the Alamo: Davy Crockett's Last Stand and Other Mysteries of the Texas Revolution, or the latest edition of an Encyclopedia Brittanica.

I could write a short book on this, so I'm definitely going to generalize things here in an outline.

I. Around the time of the discovery of the West Indies, Spain had just reconquered the Iberian Peninsula (modern Spain and Portugal) from the Muslim Moors who had conquered southern Spain (the Kingdom of Grenada) 750 years prior.
A. The Spanish were hardcore because of this.
B. Conquistadors were the manufactured result.
C. They had a fervor to spread Catholicism to the New World as a result of this.
D. God, Gold, and Glory.

II. Sadly Spain 'bastardized', so to speak, the Aztec AND Incan nations, not Mexico, Peru, Guatemala, etc. in the name of sub-part D. above.
A. Conquistadors had a crazy mindset because of part I. above.
B. The later established Spanish countries of the New World, including Mexico (which Tejas became a provincial state in), were not 'made' Catholic.
C. The Spaniards who established Mexico and the other governing bodies of the New World already were Catholic.
D. Instead they tried to 'make' the Native Americans Catholic - enter Hernan Cortes as well Bartoleme de las Casas' true primary account of how that (and many other instances in the New World) went down, which was bad.

III. During this time (1520-1650) explorers like Cabeza de Vaca, Francisco Coronado, and Hernando DeSoto traversed, mapped, and claimed vast parts of modern Texas...
A. Established as a provincial state of Mexico, Texas would remain a purposely unpopulated 'buffer-state' between Spanish assets and British, French, and American assets for over 250 years.
B. The encroachment of settlements in Louisiana and Missouri ultimately forced Spain AND Mexico (which was still a part of the Spanish Empire called New Spain) to start settling Texas.

IV. This all leads (with too many details in-between to list here) to the Mexican Revolution, which begets the Texas Revolution, which begets the Mexican-American War, which begets the addition of the modern U.S. west (which Spain owned at one point), which leads to the nationwide notion of Manifest Destiny.

Thus, 'intertwined' and then some ey. How could have Spain 'bastardized' countries that didn't even have their own national identities for some 200 years after colonization and were already considered (and considered themselves) to be Catholic Spanish citizens anyways? Good grief think about it. If anyone was 'bastardized' it was the Native Americans. Don't refute me, take Bartoleme's word for it. He was actually there! Happy readings. Cheers!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 AM

LOL

Ok. Spain invaded, conquered and colonized Mexico, and them some (like killings, torture, slavery etc) Thats not exactly a good relationship intertwining nations. LOL

invasion, destruction of cultures/beliefs and treasure hunting in the name of religion is never a good thing. you should learn from more recent events. mr. history

just take the OP as a young couple moving into a diverse city and looking to start a life. Know when to use your knowledge of the ancient crap

Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
LOL

Ok. Spain invaded, conquered and colonized Mexico, and them some (like killings, torture, slavery etc) Thats not exactly a good relationship intertwining nations. LOL

invasion, destruction of cultures/beliefs and treasure hunting in the name of religion is never a good thing. you should learn from more recent events. mr. history

just take the OP as a young couple moving into a diverse city and looking to start a life. Know when to use your knowledge of the ancient crap
OMG, LOL! This might actually be beyond ignorance here. 'Know when to use your knowledge of the ancient crap' - Ancient?! 400 to 500 years ago is not long ago on the history spectrum and we're still feeling the effects of these occurrances to this day (just like we're still feeling the effects of the 'ancient' Reformation and our own 'ancient' U.S. history, HA!). I know when to use my knowledge, someone else on here does not, e.g. you.

'Spain invaded, conquered and colonized Mexico, and them some (like killings, torture, slavery etc) Thats not exactly a good relationship intertwining nations. LOL' Duh. Dig deeper Watson. That's not at all what I meant by intertwining though. They intertwine on history, culture, and topography. You really need to read A Short Account if that's what you're specifically trying to glue this topic to, which I won't let you.

'invasion, destruction of cultures/beliefs and treasure hunting in the name of religion is never a good thing. you should learn from more recent events. mr. history' No @$#&, and although it's only partially paralleled to what's going on in the Middle East right now that it is NOT what we were originally talking about here.

I appreciate the Mr. History comment though considering that I am a collegiate historian. Your hindered ignorance on your reply would conjure some long hard laughing from fellow historians, just like I did! Wowzers Mr. Dig-Yourself-A-Hole, keep it coming, this is hilarious! Cheers to you!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM

wow. let me get a rope for you, i think youre deep enough, mr. ancient (pick on this one please please). theres more of your kind ey. you guys might want to find something else to brag about... a janitor or a security guard gets more ACCOMPLISHED than all of your buddies put together

Old 09-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
wow. let me get a rope for you, i think youre deep enough, mr. ancient (pick on this one please please). theres more of your kind ey. you guys might want to find something else to brag about... a janitor or a security guard gets more ACCOMPLISHED than all of your buddies put together
'(pick on this one please please)' Will do! Nice comeback , pffft! LOL !

'a janitor or a security guard gets more ACCOMPLISHED than all of your buddies put together' - Huh? Wow , weak Mr. Monkeys-Fly-Out-Your-Butt. What are you talking about?! Are you five years old? Let me get the rope for YOU, please please! This is fun! Cheers Wysiwyg, you crazy funny guy you!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
OMG'sh OP. Yikes huh?

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am really good friends with a couple that recently transplanted to Houston from CA. He was born in Spain, she was born in Venezuela. They are loving it here and finding work was easy. They are living the good life and couldn't be happier. We also moved here about a year ago after living in Orange County, CA for five years. Houston has been so good to us and we like it more than we ever dreamed we would.

Good luck in your decision.
~K~

Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Kandy's right. I would like to apologize to flipacas because I got carried away having fun. So, I am sorry flipacas. I started out trying to paint a picture for you, that's all. I agree with Kandy (and Wysiwyg's latter statement - I am sorry I got as ugly as I did with you) because I've got friends with similar backgrounds like hers. Good luck in your decision. Salud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston