Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

But he has no problem running around the country "Running for president" using our money.
How's that Formula 1 racetrack construction going in Austin?

School districts statewide cut 25,000 positions after budget cuts

New data from the Texas Education Agency illustrate what school officials have decried for months: Their staffs are stretched thin following the unprecedented state budget cuts that took effect this school year.
In the greater Houston area, districts reduced their workforce by 5 percent - with 7,655 fewer employees overall, including nearly 3,300 fewer teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Unless something magic happens the end of this budget cycle in 2013 will be a killer on top of what it was last year.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Schools now have to take this new standardized test which is harder than the old test with out the budget more students are gonna fail this test. Fail changing the test when your budget is cut by more than half

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 AM

175 posts, read 367,479 times
This is really a concern to me. My children are still very young. We're moving back to Texas this year or next... and I'm considering private school. It seems like there is no district in the greater Houston area that is immune. The trend is very worrying. I can see a future in which people who can afford it buy a decent education for their children, and the rest just have to make do with free education offered by the state. Very troubling.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
You get what you vote for! He will blame the cuts on the local level saying he didnt force them to cut jobs. He always blames the Fed or the "local level" for the consequences of his policies.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
This story is playing out in states all over the US, not just Texas. In MD the Democrat Governor is proposing dumping teacher pension costs back on the Counties, after almost nine decades of the State funding that portion (teachers already pay 8% into the State Pension System, 1/4 of which goes to the General Fund and not to support pensions). During Governor O'Malley's tenure in office the State Pension System has gone from being funded at 101% of obligations to 60%, mostly because he and the Democrat controlled Legislature have been diverting those funds to other budget items ($120M just this year).

So you can complain about about your Republican Governor while I complain about my Democrat one who, by the way, is being touted for President in 2016.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
This is the least of my complaints about him and it is still a serious complaint

he is a failed human being

Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
And the media markets as Texas as the go to place for people with a new degree in education! Ridiculous. Teaching jobs are being cut left and right so HOW can they say Texas is the place for teachers. To what? Work in retail because those are one of the main sources of all the "new jobs" opening up down here.

Get real.

Good luck new teaching graduates but turn back around because Texas has no teaching jobs for you. Already hired teachers have to worry about being fired for job cuts.

Sad.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
And the media markets as Texas as the go to place for people with a new degree in education! Ridiculous. Teaching jobs are being cut left and right so HOW can they say Texas is the place for teachers. To what? Work in retail because those are one of the main sources of all the "new jobs" opening up down here.

Get real.

Good luck new teaching graduates but turn back around because Texas has no teaching jobs for you. Already hired teachers have to worry about being fired for job cuts.

Sad.
I obviously know a lot of teachers that have been cut. They have two choices: wait a few years and hope things get better while working other jobs or change careers altogether.

Charter schools are hiring quite a bit, but the pay is much lower.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I obviously know a lot of teachers that have been cut. They have two choices: wait a few years and hope things get better while working other jobs or change careers altogether.

Charter schools are hiring quite a bit, but the pay is much lower.
I feel bad for teachers. The way kids are ages 5-17 they deserve a lot more than a max $50k a year. Yikes.

You'd have to pay me 6 figures to deal with middle and high schoolers for 8 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston