Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,097 times

Advertisements

Greetings All;

My (life) partner and I will be relocating to the Houston area from Baton Rouge, La in the near future. We are not very familiar with the city, so we need advice on several different subjects.

First; A little background information about us. We are a gay couple in our mid twenties. We are moving to Houston bc one of us recieved a job promotion in the area. We both work in the field of EMS. As I said we are from Baton Rouge Louisiana, a small city in comparision to Houston, we are not under any impression that the move wont be culture shock, but we are looking forward to becoming accustomed to city life. Before I list the questions and concerns we have let me say, neither one of us have ever lived outside of Louisiana before, so please feel free to elaborate, or touch on topics that I may not have mentioned.

What are the best areas to look for home in? We have looked into Baytown, League city, and Texas city.

What is the gay scene like? What kind of opinions will we encounter? I should note we are a very reserved couple, and simply come off as friends in

What do people do for fun? Yes we plan to act like tourists during the first few months.

Which areas to avoid?
What is downtown like?
Are there any large malls?
How bad is traffic? I have heard nightmares

And finally, what arevjust some good facts about Houston?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,032,650 times
Culture shock? Yep, but coming from Baton Rouge it will be in a GOOD way (no offense to Baton Rouge)

Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,702,921 times
The best area to look for a home is the area close to your work. Houston has big suburban communities at each compass point (i.e. NE - Kingwood, N - The Woodlands, NW- Cypress, etc...) as well as communities in the loop if you have a higher price point. I think Montrose is know as the more gay friendly city neighborhood but I expect prices will be higher there so if you can give a budget for housing people can steer you to the best spot.

Not enough tourist spots to sustain you for a few months. A few places to hit up would be the Museum district, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Beach, NASA, the Williams Tower waterfall behind Galleria mall.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,814,403 times
Are you renting or buying? House or apartment? And of course, where will work be located? Also budget. These are all important factors.

As for the gay scene, most of the clubs are still in Montrose. The "community" is mostly (very heavy emphasis on mostly) concentrated inside the loop in places like Montrose, Heights, Eastwood, Timbergrove, etc. Although Westbury, Glenbrook Valley, Oak Forest and some other just outside the loop neighborhoods seem to have a growing share. Depends on how close to the nightlife, etc., you want to be.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM

7,537 posts, read 11,544,207 times
What is your budget for a house & where will you be working??

Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM

681 posts, read 826,992 times
Galleria - Very Nice Mall
Houston Galleria® - Houston, TX 77056 | Simon Malls

Area inside the loop....Galleria through downtown are nice. Lots of shopping...upscale and boutiques. Tons of places to eat.

Traffic is CITY traffic...nothing more or nothing less.

We moved here in August...not one anti-gay anything against us as a couple (we live honest lives so we never have to lie about our relationship)

Downtown has beautiful towers and some great performance venues (it is up and coming and more and more people are moving there...so there is hope for it).

Progressive to Conservative Churches.

Only gay scene we are into so far is bowling. Several gay bowling leagues....Palace Bowl and Del Mar. Gay Chorus has a great sound and fun programming.

Hope you have as smooth a move as we did into a very nice city. And it is a city...so that may be the hardest part for you to adjust to....maybe not.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,097 times
We will be working in the Humble area or Beaumont. Looking for an apartment for a year or so then house. Apt price range around $600-800/month.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,702,921 times
That is a pretty low budget but you could probably get a 1 bedroom in Humble for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston