Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,386 times

Advertisements

So I stumbled on an old resurrected article about the so called 'haunted' Jefferson Davis charity hospital, built in the 1920's, on top of a massive grave site of plague victims from 1600's. Then, in 2004, it was renovated to an artist loft building named the Elder Street Artist Lofts.

So, here is the odd thing about it. I cannot dig up any articles about this location beyond 2006. Everything about its existence is no later than that year since serving as a low income artist community. Not a single shred is to be found. I cannot google image any recent photos, nor can I find any flickr photos past 2006. Even more disturbing is that there are no forum or article write up's of it's progress as an artist housing site.

I tried to google map this little bugger, and strangely, there are no easy access points to this building from any major freeways (i-10, 45, etc). And to add even more to this mystery, is that there is not one single video to be found shot from this location since serving as an artist housing complex...

I challenge any of you to dig up some dirt on this location.....is pretty mind boggling.

Does anyone have any info on what the heck is going on with the old Jefferson Davis building? I'm quite stunned by the fact that there are no recent posts or news about this place...especially considering that in this day and age, you can pretty much dig up anything on anything. I find all of this oddly disturbing and a bit chilling.

Last edited by deckhanddavy; 03-18-2012 at 02:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
You get to them off of Houston Avenue. Not everything in Houston has freeway access.

Artists' Lofts - Page 1 - News - Houston - Houston Press

Artspace USA - Elder Street Artist Lofts

Avenue CDC » APARTMENT HOMES

Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM

183 posts, read 278,070 times
DHD....here is a story that happened to me back in the late 90's or early 2000's at the old JD hosp.

I am a Paramedic w/HFD and the motor pool/repair shop is right next to said location.One day my partner and I had time to kill while our ambulance was being worked on.We decided to go into the decrepted hosp.building to explore. (we brought flashlites w/us)

Anyway,as we walked around the first floor we saw the typical hosp.stuff of stainless steal tables & cabinets etc.Nothing unusual at this point.Then we stepped into a room and on a SS table we saw a pool of fresh blood. We never saw or heard anyone prior.Well at this point, me and my partner looked at each other and ran out of the building, occasionally looking back.

I must say we were scared and un-nerved.I can't remember if we had heard of the building being haunted or not.I do remember the Chronicle having articles over the years though. To this day I wonder what that was all about. True story........

Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM

385 posts, read 967,653 times
Also
Elder Street Artists Lofts: 1101 Elder Street, Houston, Texas, 77007

Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatin11r View Post
DHD....here is a story that happened to me back in the late 90's or early 2000's at the old JD hosp.

I am a Paramedic w/HFD and the motor pool/repair shop is right next to said location.One day my partner and I had time to kill while our ambulance was being worked on.We decided to go into the decrepted hosp.building to explore. (we brought flashlites w/us)

Anyway,as we walked around the first floor we saw the typical hosp.stuff of stainless steal tables & cabinets etc.Nothing unusual at this point.Then we stepped into a room and on a SS table we saw a pool of fresh blood. We never saw or heard anyone prior.Well at this point, me and my partner looked at each other and ran out of the building, occasionally looking back.

I must say we were scared and un-nerved.I can't remember if we had heard of the building being haunted or not.I do remember the Chronicle having articles over the years though. To this day I wonder what that was all about. True story........
Haha, yeah man. That's the main reason I posted this thread. I wanted to hear some stories of this place. It has a somewhat chilling history...especially considering it's built on top of thousands of dead bodies. I've read some disturbing articles of how it was a psyche ward at one time, and have seen some ghastly pictures of how patients were packed in the hallways waiting to be treated...in most cases, they were seen by a doctor while IN the hallway, due to the rooms being backed up with other patients. Man...I would not want to live there knowing the building past.

Also, that's one hell of a story!!

Yeah, I saw this as well. Here's the spooky thing. There are no active listings of any units being available. Everything online that mentions this converted loft building is antiquated as the articles are years old. Nor can I find any mention of current residents living there in any forum sites, blogs etc....pretty creepy. I'm not saying that there's nobody there, but the fact that nobody has posted a photo, video or anything recent of the place, heck, even from their iphone/android devices is pretty questionable. Pretty much everything is posted online daily, via tags, social media etc.

A good example is flickr and youtube. No media has been posted of artists actually making art, or even living there for over 4 years.

Youtube search turned up a single video...4 yrs old: elder street lofts - YouTube

Flickr search turned up mostly old shots from 2-5 yrs ago. Here is the most recent one: Blythe Physical Challenge #7: Haunted Blythe | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnemone/4845288302/ - broken link)
Funny thing is that shot was from someone who doesn't live there...they just happened to visit the site and take a b/w shot.

Yeah...pretty creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
You get to them off of Houston Avenue. Not everything in Houston has freeway access.

Artists' Lofts - Page 1 - News - Houston - Houston Press

Artspace USA - Elder Street Artist Lofts

Avenue CDC » APARTMENT HOMES
Yeah, I've seen these as well. All of them are years old...nothing up to date on the lofts....

Last edited by deckhanddavy; 03-21-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 AM

183 posts, read 278,070 times
......oh and another thing.When the HFD motor repair/HQ complex I spoke about was being built,they had to stop the excavating while they cleared the site of remains that were unearthed.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
easy access of 45 to allen pkwy or Houston. Also Gonsalez did article in Chron not too long ago about JD. Its in his Bayou History Blog. http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhisto...vis-hospital/s

Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
easy access of 45 to allen pkwy or Houston. Also Gonsalez did article in Chron not too long ago about JD. Its in his Bayou History Blog. Sam Houston High School (old) | Bayou City History | a Chron.com blog
Yup, I read that one. I love his work!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 AM

385 posts, read 967,653 times
On google maps there is a bout 13 cars parked around it and a dude sitting in the garden behind it. Not sure how old the map photos are though. but there is a clear google 2011 watermark

Old 03-24-2012, 06:27 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Why don't you just drive over and check it out - you can even talk to some of those who are there if they are out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston