Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,600 times

Advertisements

A proposal by Southwest Airlines to offer international flights from Hobby Airport has triggered an intense lobbying duel with United Airlines, which still wields considerable local clout as the successor to Houston-based Continental.
If it gets city approval, Southwest says it would spend an estimated $75 million to $100 million to build a new international terminal equipped with full-scale Customs facilities, as well as to improve the aging airport's domestic terminals. Southwest flights would depart from the new terminal to destinations such as Cancun and the Caribbean.
But United has already broken ground on what may become another international terminal, a $700 million investment piled on top of an additional billion it has pumped into Bush Intercontinental Airport since the late 1990s.
War between United, Southwest looms over Houston - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
I'd love if that included Europe. United can go pound sand for all I care. I guess they don't like competition. Can't blame them really cause SW would dominate the market here.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default United...

United threatens to sue, or put their money elsewhere, but at the same time, says that "they" spent lots of money through the years. Yes, United took over Continental, but they also took away jobs, 1500 or so. So yes, I agree, competition is best, let them take the rest of IAH to Chicago... it will never happen of course, United is just being greedy. Their stranglehold on the Latin American market is about to crash... good for us, I still recall being able to go to CUN for next to nothing, I'd welcome those days again since I now have children to account for. I am still loyal to United though... I am Platinum, but I don't think they own exclusive rights to international flights. The city is big enough for both.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
They can do whatever they want.... just don't ask for tax dollars.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
SW would never put in sleeper seats ...I'm out.

Can't imagine a 9 hour flight next to at a 250lber with a 2 inch recline.....not happening.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times
The article made it seem as though Southwest is looking to service Mexican beach destinations. Seeing as how Southwest has been domestic for so long, I highly doubt that allowing them to have an international at Hobby servicing Central America will be a HUGE threat to United which services almost all of the continents. I'd be surprised if Southwest all of a sudden launched a comprehensive global network that would ACTUALLY threaten United's. It's not like Delta is trying to open an international terminal at Hobby - that would be completely different.

My opinion? Let Southwest open up a terminal and call United's bluff. They'd be incredibly stupid to skip town just because a smaller, (former) domestic-only carrier decided to delve into the international market at an airport across town. That and I'd love for Houston to be added to the list of cities w/ TWO international airports.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I'd rather fly on SW 737s than those regional jets theat United is forcing on me...to places like Detroit and Minneapolis.

SW to Mexican destinations would lower fares...competition is good.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM

302 posts, read 955,179 times
By International they mean Mexico and the caribbean, CowAir only has boeing 737s... I cannot imagine flying more than 2 hours on their places... it's nice for short routes, but there is no way anyone in their right mind would fly them for longer routes... I'm sure this is aimed at high traffic, high dollar routes in Mexico... have you see the prices United charges? insane!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
SW would never put in sleeper seats ...I'm out.

Can't imagine a 9 hour flight next to at a 250lber with a 2 inch recline.....not happening.

How many little bags of honey-roasted peanuts can you eat on a 9 hour flight?

Ronnie

Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,102 times
Actually United services some Mexico destinations using regional jets. So a 737 won't be so bad. I think this is great news for Houston, whether you fly Southwest or not. Competiton is good. United shouldn't have a monopoly on the Mexican and Carribean market out of Houston considering how huge the market is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston