Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 AM

14 posts, read 31,378 times

Advertisements

Okay , so we just sold our house in other state , we just relocated to Houston about couple months ago . Finally house is sold , but we had to fork out our money ( 13k ) to sell it . The money was originally saved for buying a house over here ( for down payment ) . Now we're pretty much don't have any money left for down payment .

We really would love to get a house as soon as possible , the 2 banks that was dealing with us was set up from the relocation company , required us to put 3% down , so that's not going to work for us .

I know we're not first time home buyers , but is it still possible for us to get a zero down mortgages ? or is there any other options ??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 AM

20 posts, read 40,788 times
I googled zero down mortgage options Houston Texas and a huge list came up. I don't want to post the whole list, but maybe you can try that.

zero down mortgages option Houston Texas - Google Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
Sorry, but 0% is a pipedream now unless you've been in the military, a doctor, or qualify for an assistance program. If you make less than $45-$55k, you could look into DAP's.

FHA allows gifted funds, can you have family gift you the 3.5%? Or lease for a few months while you save you 3.5%.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
In 2010 instead of going from bank to bank I called a mortgage broker (Houston Capital Mortgage) and they did the search for me. My spouse is a physician and we both have excellent credit. So we were able to do two loans, one for 80% and the other 20% with Encore Bank. The cash we had we used for other expenses related to the closing and the move. A friend of mine who is single, not a physician and his credit is somewhat good (not excellent) was able to purchase a house in the Heights area with financing provided by the builder, which provided a low interest rate.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
Actually, DAP's only apply to first time homebuyers. And since they have owned a home in the past 3 years they wouldn't qualify for downpayment assistance.

A gift is your best bet with the seller paying ALL closing costs. The closing costs are key. As of the first week of April, upfront MIP is increasing to 1.75% couple that with all the other fees and pre-paids and the closing costs on an FHA loan are hefty.

Also being reviewed by HUD now is a limit to 3% on seller contributions. This will really hammer the building industry. They are raising FHA fees big time, if you couple that with only 3% seller contributions, it is going to take more $$$ to get a home. Now, overall this might be a good thing because the more skin you have in the game the more likely you are to stick with it and actually pay your bills, but that is another discussion.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 31,378 times
Our relocation company is paying the closing cost , we've asked the company ( where my husband got hired thus our relocating ) , to let us use the 3,5% for downpayment instead of the closing and we could have ask the builder / seller to pay closing , but they refused to let us use the money for downpayment . They're still paying all the closing cost though .

Don't have family , we're pretty much by ourselves , so we can't count on gift whatsoever . Our credit is excellent too . This whole thing is just so unexpected with us having to spent that much to sell the house ( which was meant for downpayment a new house ) .

I've read about the USDA loans , as long as we buy a house in rural areas , we can get a zero down , but when i read the income limit , we've above the income limit .

We found a highland house that we really like .. and would really love to finally settled in , instead of living in apartment wihile all our stuff is in the storage

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
You need a gift, or time to save the downpayment.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinastis View Post
Our relocation company is paying the closing cost , we've asked the company ( where my husband got hired thus our relocating ) , to let us use the 3,5% for downpayment instead of the closing and we could have ask the builder / seller to pay closing , but they refused to let us use the money for downpayment . They're still paying all the closing cost though .

Don't have family , we're pretty much by ourselves , so we can't count on gift whatsoever . Our credit is excellent too . This whole thing is just so unexpected with us having to spent that much to sell the house ( which was meant for downpayment a new house ) .

I've read about the USDA loans , as long as we buy a house in rural areas , we can get a zero down , but when i read the income limit , we've above the income limit .

We found a highland house that we really like .. and would really love to finally settled in , instead of living in apartment wihile all our stuff is in the storage
Do you have a retirement account? I believe FHA still allows you to borrow from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: