U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM

107 posts, read 80,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
That's an overused misconception regarding scientific theories. A scientific theory is not a hunch/guess/conjecture... it is not an untested hypothesis.

While the very nature of the scientific method ensures that scientific theories are falsifiable, they are only accepted after validation through observation, experiment and after being subjected to an extensive peer-review process. Gravity is a scientific theory... stating that there are purple elephants living on the far side of Pluto is not.
Leave the crazy talk out of this.
This is a discussion between mature, educated people.
No one is talking about purple elephants, and no need to try and bring some strawman argument in here to make a point.

The best guess, as of today, is the big bang theory.
Science is not developed enough yet to know if that is true or not.
There are things we simply don't understand yet.
Either way, the science class is teaching something that is not necessarily a known fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 03:09 PM

7,680 posts, read 4,732,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Make no mistake. Religious conservatives would love to inject their beliefs into public school resources.

This is what they've managed to to so far.

Bible class rules set for Texas schools - US news - Faith - msnbc.com

It's a elective class, nobody is forced to take it. Why would anybody have a problem with elective classes about religion, or did you just want to come in here to bash christians?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,643,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Leave the crazy talk out of this.
This is a discussion between mature, educated people.
No one is talking about purple elephants, and no need to try and bring some strawman argument in here to make a point.

The best guess, as of today, is the big bang theory.
Science is not developed enough yet to know if that is true or not.
There are things we simply don't understand yet.
Either way, the science class is teaching something that is not necessarily a known fact.
A science class is no place to teach religious theories. Scientific theories fine, but not religious ones.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM

13,181 posts, read 7,981,187 times
Quote:
Or you could have them learn several different views on any particular subject matter and be more well-rounded for it.

It's ironic that you can't see that people that are so adamant about only teaching evolution are just as stubborn and backwards as people that are adamant about only teaching intelligent design.
ID shouldn't be taught in science class, anymore than English should be taught in science class.

This isn't one iota of science in ID. For you to suggest that students would be more "rounded" by learning about ID in science class is absurd.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,721,673 times
Quote:
I am not some religious zealot that is set in my ways and beliefs.

I just always find it funny that one set of people have so much faith in their theory and deride someone else's theory.

They are both theories, impossible to prove.
You obviously don't know the definition of scientific theory (versus theory in the vague, speculative sense). You're a librarian, look it up.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
lostinhouston

Unless you were there, you have no idea at all how the earth came into being.

Big bang is a theory.
It is taught in the science section of class.
Scientists have absolutely no clue if there is any basis in reality with the big bang theory, hence the word theory attached there.
OMG....like the "theory" of gravity?

You seriously don't know what the word "theory" entails.

A thing can be both "theory" and "fact" as this scientist well explains. http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2007/03...n-is-fact.html

Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM

457 posts, read 714,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It's a elective class, nobody is forced to take it. Why would anybody have a problem with elective classes about religion, or did you just want to come in here to bash christians?
I don't think anyone would have a problem if all faiths were discussed, but the article itself states that most classes have a Christian bias. Could you imagine the outcry if there were Islamic classes?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
I don't think anyone would have a problem if all faiths were discussed, but the article itself states that most classes have a Christian bias. Could you imagine the outcry if there were Islamic classes?
An "elective" class would use school resources would it not? Taking my tax dollars to promote Christian mythology.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,274,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I think the OP was a troll to begin with.
And a successful troll at that.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:32 PM

457 posts, read 714,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
An "elective" class would use school resources would it not? Taking my tax dollars to promote Christian mythology.
True - but most elective classes seem to be to explore an interest rather than a core subject.

I would prefer that religion is kept out of schools as I think it promotes exclusion rather than inclusion but if it is to be offered as an elective class it should encompass all religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston