U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM

367 posts, read 309,040 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that my electric bill will be $300 or more for most of the year, is this true??

I plan on renting a small cottage or apartment, less than 1000 square feet. AC would be my biggest use I suppose? I am not a heavy user, I unplu most everything and work a lot so not a lot of excess light, etc, use.

Also, gas for stoves, etc? Is it a significant help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 AM

682 posts, read 1,809,642 times
There are tons of topics here about this, you could probably search and find lots of examples of bills. Your bill will depend on how energy efficient your home (or apartment) is as well as what temperature you keep it at, if you have electric or gas water heater, square footage, what floor you are on, how many floors, how many windows, which way the windows face, etc, etc. There are really too many variables to give a good estimate that you can go by. The best thing to do would to be to ask what previous bills were like.

I lived in a 800sqft apartment (all electric, built in early 90's) and peak electric bills were around $180 in the summer with A/C kept at 78. I now live in a 1900sqft new construction, energy star certified home (gas hot water, heat and stove) and keep the A/C set at 76. Highest electric bill last summer was $120, gas bill was around $20. Bills this time of year are around $50 for electric. A co-worker lives in a 1800sqft house built in the 70's and pays over $300 a month most of the summer.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM

340 posts, read 753,458 times
Another variable also is your electric provider and the rate you are getting. There can be some very big swings in the price you pay per Kw. My house is 2,200 sqft built 2006 and my bill in the summer peaks around $200 with the air set at 77 when I am home. I use a programmable thermosat so while i am away at work the house goes to 82. During the winter it is around $90 and my gas bill is $50-60ish.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM

I did do a search, unfortunately, all the examples were for housing around 2000 sf and above.

Thanks for the info, looks like getting into a newer type place would be better.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM

834 posts, read 2,532,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
I keep hearing that my electric bill will be $300 or more for most of the year, is this true??

I plan on renting a small cottage or apartment, less than 1000 square feet. AC would be my biggest use I suppose? I am not a heavy user, I unplu most everything and work a lot so not a lot of excess light, etc, use.

If you are moving to a 1000sq ft place probably you will never reach $150. If you can find an apartment that is not at the top floor of the building it would cost less. I know someone who lives at the Memorial City apartments (South of the Memorial City Mall) and never pays that much. She's on the ground floor and the apartment above her helps keep her apt at a good temperature. Be sure you shop around at the electricity companies. If you get gas stove it may be better, but only significant if you cook a lot. You can also change temp on water heater so you have warm water for shower, etc but not super hot. Be conscious about turning lights off, unpluggin uncessary stuff. Keep thermostat at a constant temperature so you only vary it a few degrees when you come home from work. Check with landlord for previous electric bills (if available).

Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Thank you for the good advice and tips!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM

8,373 posts, read 29,037,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post

It's possible. If this is a historic shotgun style "cottage" or even a post WWII pier & beam house with an old AC unit and poor (or zero) insulation, you could very well see $300 or even $400 in the summer. Using less lights, etc is fine but the vast majority of the bill will be for cooling it.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM

3,333 posts, read 8,657,772 times
$300/mo all year. Ya, right. Whomever told you that is full of beans. 3000 sq/ft, approaches $300 in July and August, $120 December and January.

Ronnie

Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,826,373 times
I can see a small 1920-1940's bungalow having summer electricity between $200-$300 a month. It will really depend on the insulation AND a/c efficiency. An apartment shouldn't be so expensive because of the shared walls and likely newer construction

Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,858 times
What I'm more interested in knowing is if the year the house is built affect the average cost of the electric bill, or even information regarding the amount of appliances (fridges, microwaves, A/C in home, or others such as these) and how that affects the average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: