Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In what way is this illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
In what way is this illegal?
Read the article

Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency has said that running cars on vegetable oil, converting cars to run on vegetable oil, and selling vegetable oil for use in cars are all illegal activities that are punishable by fines: “Raw vegetable oil or recycled greases (also called waste cooking oil) that have not been processed into esters are not biodiesel, and are not registered by EPA for legal use in vehicles. In addition, vehicles converted to use these oils would likely need to be certified by the EPA; to date EPA has not certified any conversions,” the agency’s web site says.

The EPA says the prohibition is because more emissions research is needed. Veggie oil has been shown to have lower emissions of particulates and CO2, but a higher emission of nitrogen oxide. The EPA also says that “cooking oil is physically and chemically different than diesel fuel and its use in conventional engines will generally cause negative effects on emissions and engine durability.”

Ghafarzade says the EPA is concerned more about the government missing out on gas taxes than it is about emissions. And although the EPA says it intends to increase enforcement, Ghafarzade says he’s not worried about it because enforcement is so rare.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Read the article
The EPA has no power to make anything illegal. Only Congress or the states can do that. Only the acts passed define what can be legal or illegal and currently there are no laws that say you cannot convert your cars to biodiesel, despite what some stuck up bureaucrat in Washington thinks. The CAA does not say cars cannot be converted, only that they be emissiOns tested like all other cars. If what the EPA bureaucrat said was true, then no one would be allowed to modify cars in any way from OEM which is patently false. Or, if it is true, then it is so ignored then it is essentially false.

Covert your car to veggie oil and stop worrying about the Washington busybodies with no power.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
The EPA has no power to make anything illegal. Only Congress or the states can do that. Only the acts passed define what can be legal or illegal and currently there are no laws that say you cannot convert your cars to biodiesel, despite what some stuck up bureaucrat in Washington thinks. The CAA does not say cars cannot be converted, only that they be emissiOns tested like all other cars. If what the EPA bureaucrat said was true, then no one would be allowed to modify cars in any way from OEM which is patently false. Or, if it is true, then it is so ignored then it is essentially false.

Covert your car to veggie oil and stop worrying about the Washington busybodies with no power.
Although I agree with you on the EPA, I don't see the country as a whole advancing with vehicles converted to Vegtibale oil. This is more of an opinion since I don't have time to look into it. My reasons however is that it basically resembles the E85 idea and that is burning your food. I mean the misc hobbiest can make it work but we would need a ton of veggie oil to power this country.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Although I agree with you on the EPA, I don't see the country as a whole advancing with vehicles converted to Vegtibale oil. This is more of an opinion since I don't have time to look into it. My reasons however is that it basically resembles the E85 idea and that is burning your food. I mean the misc hobbiest can make it work but we would need a ton of veggie oil to power this country.
I don't disagree. I see electricity as the future of automobiles. It's the most efficient. But it will take 20 years to really replace a majority of the gasoline/diesel fleet.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. I see electricity as the future of automobiles. It's the most efficient. But it will take 20 years to really replace a majority of the gasoline/diesel fleet.
What are we going to make the electricity from in quantities to power vehicle transportation? I agree that making it in power plants is easier to address polution as one large source is easier to manage than at each tailpipe. The big loss in transportation is braking energy lost. A hybrid captures this lost energy so likely to be part of the solution despite adding a device/cost to each vehicle. But the battery issue is key to electric cars and batteries with more power storage at lower weight addresses a hybrid issue too. Transporting electricty from power plants to each car is going to have a loss of energy too, but the net of all these effects is positive for electric cars if we can solve the light weigh battery storage issue and can find the cash to replace the distribution of gasoline/diesel with electric distribution for cars.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
There's also the conversion to a hybrid that runs on water which is supposed to increase your gas mileage. The internet hype is not reliable so I can't tell if this really would work or not.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
There's also the conversion to a hybrid that runs on water which is supposed to increase your gas mileage. The internet hype is not reliable so I can't tell if this really would work or not.
Despite what conspiracy theorists might say, no car runs on water. Some systems might have an electrolysis system to separate hydrogen from water and use hydrogen to power the car, but that requires a lot of battery power and ends up being less efficient than just running the car off the batteries. It ends uP being an expensive science experiment. Trust me, if any car actually could run on water, it would take over the market rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston