Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times

Advertisements

I looked up previous Swimming Pool threads and I couldn't find one that discussed chlorine vs. salt water.

Anyway...we're thinking of possibly installing a swimming pool (maybe next year). For those of you pool owners that have had experience with both salt and chlorine...which one would you recommend? Also, can you recommend a pool designer/builder for inner loop SW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM

21 posts, read 74,797 times
I had a saltwater pool at my last house and my new house has a non-saltwater pool.

I say non-saltwater because in reality, a saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool. The Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) converts the salt into chlorine. When the chlorine is used/broken down then it converts back to salt and the cycle just continues. However, you can keep a salt water pool at a lower chlorine level than a non-saltwater pool. Not much, but a little bit.

There are positives and negatives about each one. But, I think I prefer my saltwater pool. It was a little easier to maintain since the SWCG was always on. I never had to worry about adding chlorine/pucks to the system. So when I leave on vacation or something, I didn't have to worry about running out of chlorine before I got back.

Another negative to the non-saltwater pool is that the chlorine pucks that you use contain stabilizer. You lose the ability to control the chlorine and the stabilizer separately. In order to control them separately you would have to use liquid chlorine instead of the pucks. In my current pool that is now 4 years old, the stabilizer is at such a high level that I have to keep the chlorine very high just to keep algae away. The stabilizer is never used up by anything. The only way to lower the stabilizer is to replace some of the pool water with fresh water. Then you have to use liquid chlorine to get the fresh water back up to the proper chlorine level. If you use the pucks to do this instead of the liquid chlorine, then you are just adding the stabilizer back into the pool. With a salt water pool, the chlorine that is generated does not contain stabilizer. So you can adjust/control the stabilizer level separately.

The drawback to the saltwater is the corrosion and staining effect of the salt. In my last pool the corrosion occurred on the metal bezel around the pool light, on the stainless steel screws on the skimmer trim, and on the metal ladder. You also have to be careful about the decking materials used around the pool since the salt can stain them. Some natural stones can stain.

I have only had my non-saltwater pool for about 3 months so I reserve the right to change my mind, but right now I prefer saltwater.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Oh, one other thing.... I had a lot of comments from people about how much better their skin/eyes felt after using my saltwater pool as compared to how they felt when using a non-saltwater pool.

A water softener uses salt to take the hardness out of your house water, so I guess the salt in the pool is accomplishing the same thing.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times
Thanks! I have a cousin in Orlando that has a saltwater and swears by it but I wasn't sure about the cons/pros about actually owning one and maintenance, etc. I know the planning/construction is a little fortune so that is why we're looking ahead to budget and plan accordingly. Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
Simple facts:

Saltwater pool is a corrosion nightmare, PERIOD.
Saltwater pool is just one way of producing chlorine, just another chlorine generator.
A chlorine pool is much MORE maintenance free than the the saltwater pool. I understand maintaining a saltwater pool is actually very tricky and requires attention to details.

I LOVE my chlorine pool.

What does the saltwater pool gives you over chlorine pool? Just do the math mate

Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Maintaining a saltwater pool is NOT tricky at all. I had my saltwater pool for 4 years. The only chemicals I ever added was hydrochloric acid (to reduce ph) and stabilizer. I tested weekly for ph, chlorine, and stabilizer using the exact same test strips that I am using for my non-saltwater pool. That's it. Nothing tricky at all. No more attention to detail than a non-saltwater pool.

The SWCG is more money up front, but you don't have to continually buy the chlorine pucks which are about $100 per 50 lbs bucket. you will easily go through at least 2 or 3 buckets per season in Houston.

Last edited by CincoNewbie; 04-06-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,237 times
Can you use drinking water in pool?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
You can pee in the pool for what I care..... Seriously ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Can you use drinking water in pool?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 AM

135 posts, read 566,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Simple facts:

Saltwater pool is a corrosion nightmare, PERIOD.
Saltwater pool is just one way of producing chlorine, just another chlorine generator.
A chlorine pool is much MORE maintenance free than the the saltwater pool. I understand maintaining a saltwater pool is actually very tricky and requires attention to details.

I LOVE my chlorine pool.

What does the saltwater pool gives you over chlorine pool? Just do the math mate

Point 1: Not true. Corrosion risk is slightly increased and you need to consider this in the types of materials you use to for pool decking. Avoiding softer natural stones.
Point 2: True
Point 3 Not true. Only thing I add is some acid twice a week to the pool to keep the PH down. SCGs do tend to raise the pH faster vs a traditional chlorine pool.

OP. I suggest checking out troublefreepool.com to get a true sense of the advantages of one over the other. Many experts in the field and an easy layout in pool school. Best of luck in your choice.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
Thanks for the distinctions CincoNewbie and eric99gt. Something for Houston_2010 to consider also - developing sensitivity to either the stabilizer or the chlorine. Swimming in chlorinated pools leave me with horrible allergies and sinus for about 2 days afterwards. This wasn't an issue originally, but over time, it did become a problem. No such issue with saltwater pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: