Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
There is currently a city ordinance banning chickens, i believe.
Or I wouldn't have needed to sign the petition over at Hens For Houston.
Hens for Houston
But if you read closely, it says within 100 ft of another dwelling. Many places in the city this can be easily done. Not a fan of roosters though, that's just something I wouldn't want to listen to even in my own yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yea, our Civic Association isn't that way. In fact we call it the Civilized Association. Of course everyone keeps their yards cut, houses painted, dogs leashed and landscaping neat without reminders. One family here already has two hens in a coop. I think most know better than to get a loud rooster.

Crone, new laws?
When the Champions HOA kicked Winona Blevins out of her house a couple of years back over her $800 unpaid fee and sold the house on the courthouse steps, the unintended consequences to the HOA and the rest of us snowballed. Thank God she won the lawsuit and got her house back.

The lege finally got enough votes to put through some new laws that went into effect January 1. Not anything bad or unreasonable, IMO. HOA can no longer prohibit solar panels, composting or rain barrels. You can have flagpoles and religious signs not to exceed certain sizes. They can decree the kind of grass you plant

My HOA cannot even find the minutes from any annual meeting or board meeting from the past couple of years. They have to keep records now and make them available to the homeowners if the homeowner sends a certified letter, etc.

There is a LOT more to it regarding seizing folks property and selling it to board members, etc. Only lawyers can file liens, the HOA cannot add legal fees to somebody they are trying to collect from.

I'd need a property lawyer to explain it all to me. Many caveats regarding subdivision size. I think the lege pretty much told the HOA's to stop that chit.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 13,106 times
I sadly live in a subdivision that allows Horses, and but no chickens, that being, we've decided to get a few chickens and see how it goes and if anyone notices, one of our neighbor could careless about it, we have a coop, and we'll see how it goes.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Heights and animals...

Not the human kind. I was reading up on the history of the Houston area development in the early 19th century and came across some photos of a woman and her cows... right there in the Heights! Lots has changed since then, but I don't see why people cannot keep hens. They don't make much noise, they provide provide delicious fresh eggs, and some are even fancy looking. I know someone in the Heights who has some cool looking hens, small.

If there is ever a hurricane, or some other natural disaster (think Doomsday Preppers), then you have an easy dinner waiting for you. A few hot chicken wings, etc.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM

11 posts, read 26,299 times
I live in the country, have had my share of livestock, but i draw the line at chickens. They are walking bahhkk bahhk bahhking poop machines.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
If your HOA forbids chickens, that's probably more difficult to get around than the city ordinances. The city isn't going to enforce unless there are a lot of complaints and the complaints persist after you've received three or four threat letters then you ignore the fine after that.

It really comes down to how healthy your relationships with your neighbors are.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
COH bans yard chickens and all your neighbors will complain. i can't imagine someone being able to get by with having chickens unless their neighbors like them (rare). chickens are horrible and smell rank

i'd complain the first cluck i heard

i know several people in the suburbs that are doing this now and I have to question how much they have read into things. As someone who spent summers on a farm hens don't just instantly lay eggs and lay forever or pop out good ones. we had some that would go wild and kill other hens

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
COH bans yard chickens and all your neighbors will complain. i can't imagine someone being able to get by with having chickens unless their neighbors like them (rare). chickens are horrible and smell rank
They're certainly not enforcing it in SE Houston, south part of east Houston, whatever you want to call it. Chickens still running around in the roads, guys still selling whole smoked chickens out of Pitmasters at traffic lights outside the neighborhoods on the weekend. Grab some flowers, candy, cocos frios, and even a bottle of gatorade while you're there. Apparently the people who live there don't seem to mind. I'm assuming this may not be all that uncommon up the east side and all the way through parts of the north.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Weird. I'v never heard or smelled the two hens a couple houses from mine. Of course, two hens are easier to lean up after than a chicken farm. That would get stinky. The rooster however can be heard...but it's not even has bad as all the wild peacocks, so I guess no one cares. Maybe having larger lots keeps people a little more laid back. <shrug> Anyway after much thought, I don't have the time to do it, and I don't trust my housekeeper to keep up with them. LAst thing I want to come home to is dead animals in coop.

The only thing neighbors get up tight around here about are the occasional aggressive dogs off leash. Then all hell breaks loose with emails flying, which they should. And that's definitely against COH ordinances.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
They're certainly not enforcing it in SE Houston, south part of east Houston, whatever you want to call it. Chickens still running around in the roads, guys still selling whole smoked chickens out of Pitmasters at traffic lights outside the neighborhoods on the weekend. Grab some flowers, candy, cocos frios, and even a bottle of gatorade while you're there. Apparently the people who live there don't seem to mind. I'm assuming this may not be all that uncommon up the east side and all the way through parts of the north.
A few people in Eastwood, Broadmoor and nearby neighborhoods have kept hens for years before it became chic (no pun intended). Chickens do escape their pens occasionally and wander around, but no biggie...unless they fly into someone's yard and a dog gets them!

"SE Houston" covers a pretty big chunk of the city. Where are you seeing the guys selling those smoked chickens at traffic lights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston