Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It would help us cut down on wasteful spending from the government.
Who cares if there's water in the moon when there's kids starving here in Texas.
I wish I could come up with as eloquent of a rebuttal as Dr. Tyson... but I can't, so I'll leave it to him:

Neil deGrasse Tyson at UB: What NASA Means to America's Future - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Houston's economy is so large & diverse nowadays the loss of jobs at NASA for the most part will go unnoticed.

The majority of those jobs were contract work anyways from other cities & states.

Houston's main economic engine is in the oil/gas/energy, medical care/research, & shipping industries.

All of those are booming right now & for the foreseeable future.

Houston was recently ranked one of the nations top "greenest" cities.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It would help us cut down on wasteful spending from the government.
Who cares if there's water in the moon when there's kids starving here in Texas.
More kids would starve if their parents don't have jobs. There is alot of inefficiencies in government ran entities, and there are some excessive jobs created by the government just to create jobs. But I rather they spend money that way so that hard working people have a chance to take care of their families and have self pride, rather than handing out blank checks to the welfare people, forgiving bad debts and student loans, giving free cell phones to welfare people and etc. I do want to help the poor and the needy but the government needs to spend money on programs that really help these people learn useful skills rather than just throw money on them and make them more dependent on those checks. I'll agree with you on cutting down wasteful spending, but don't automatically equate that with solving poverty and hunger.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I wish I could come up with as eloquent of a rebuttal as Dr. Tyson... but I can't, so I'll leave it to him:
Funny, because that video reaffirms my belief that NASA is a waste of tax dollars, just look at the last thing that Dr. Tyson said (who sounds more like a salesman than a doctor):

"the most powerful agency of the dreams of a nation is currently underfunded to do what it needs to be doing, and that's to make dreams come true and at 1/2 a penny on a dollars.... how much would you pay for the Universe?"

BTW, what the hell is 1/2 a penny on a dollar?
Is that the number they use at NASA when they do their yearly budget?
Why can't he say how much money they get per year?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
More kids would starve if their parents don't have jobs. There is alot of inefficiencies in government ran entities, and there are some excessive jobs created by the government just to create jobs.
We can create government jobs making our cities and country better
or we can create government jobs to find another planet that has drinkable water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston